footprint of a stormy week

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
David Senesac

footprint of a stormy week

by David Senesac » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:41 am

footprint of a stormy week, derived from http://water.weather.gov.

The above map appears to total rainfall for the previous day. So the Sunday 1-17-2010 map appears to show precipitation for Saturday. Thus the annotated date 1-17-2010 that is Sunday show "Sat". Note I am no meterologist, just a long time keen weather follower. My decades of chasing fresh powder skiing about Tahoe and photog landscape work otherwise has a lot to do with that. I'm offering others this unique graphical look of precipitation results back into this week of storms plus some terse comments and digs at media forecasters. I'm expecting there are other weather data types like this person on the board.

By Friday January 15 media had finally caught wind of the coming big storms and weather forecast I'd first noted in the terse discussion earlier in the week. Some tv stations with new modeling tools were showing how much precip was going to occur with each of the 5 storms and when it would occur during the day. Even though forecasting is much better this decade, I doubted it would play out so neatly as modeled and media predicted and that came to pass. Historically here in California, the larger a storm series, the more likely forecasters usually get the way it plays out rather incorrect.

Per forecasts Thursday and Friday, Saturday 1-16 storm #1, was supposed to be the first day of light showers with considerable cloudiness over all the SF Bay Area. The map for that day only shows precip for north of the SF peninsula. It was mostly sunny across much of our area. Generally the system stalled moving against the fair weather ridge on land and vectored more north.

Sunday 1-17, storm #2 was forecast for moderate temperature rain of about a quarter to half an inch here in the Santa Clara Valley and an inch or so in the north bay. We only received about half of that advertised. It was moist and drissly all day and the forecast was accurate further north. There was a large area of the front so it managed to spread all the way down to Los Angeles, especially in the Coast and Transverse Ranges.

Monday 11-18, storm #3 on the was forecast to be a large storm with mildly cooler temperatures and indeed it was, especially north of the SF Bay Area as the map shows. Note the major rains along the North Coast and Shasta. It was the first day to really impact the Sierra Nevada with snows across the full range and there were numerous problems with those returning from Tahoe holiday skiing.

Tuesday 11-19, storm #4 was much more intense in our area than #3 with high daqmaging winds as the brunt passed into the Santa Cruz and Santa Lucia Mountains and Santa Clara Valley. Rains were very heavy and temps colder during the water-planing commute here in Silicon Valley. However the storm was more compact and after pushing strong rains into the Sacramento Valley, strangely hardly pushed across the Sierra and instead while the barometric core moved due north along the coast, heavy rain bands in the valley also pushed due north towards Shasta. Thus did not much impact areas of the central and southern Sierra or areas in Southern California as much as the broader storm #3. So forecasters were correct that it was not a large a storm as #3 or #5 but missed that it would be as intense as it was in our area.

As forecast, storm #5 on Wednesday 11-20 was overall the largest of the series as the peak jetstream rammed into the Southland. In our area a cold core moist cumulus flow lasted all day and night which had not been forecast. So there wasn't much of an expected lull into Thursday. The previous Friday it had been forecast to be the the most intense. However it was not as intense at least in our area. It pushed good rains into Southern California even more than #3 and seemed to linger for hours in the San Diego mountains and western Sonora Desert. Even noticed rare periods of rain on Las Vegas radar further north over Death Valley.

For the Southern California desert areas, as I expected, it was storm #6 on Thursday 1-21 behind the front of storm #5 with lots of cold air cumulus build ups moving across in the powerful trough that brought rare heavy rains to those areas. Very similar to February 2005. What was really amazing were the major rains that intensified over Arizona causing considerable flash flooding. Maybe some of you that live in the Southland have some more insighteful comments about #5 and #6 than I could offer.
Last edited by David Senesac on Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dyusem

by dyusem » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:43 pm

Thanks for the wrap-up, David.

It has been super wet with maybe two noticeable breaks in the weather in Southern Marin all week; Corte Madera creek is running high and fast but should be contained although this next series of storms looks like it is tapping some tropical moisture AND I just read that there is a chance one or more of the frontal boundaries may stall; you know what that means up here. :(

For a while I thought that a sunrise would be seen here today and I could get a bike ride in BUT it started raining non-stop since midnight and I'm now looking at a later start IF the hose turns off!

The waterfalls on Mt. Tam are most likely very special so the advertised short breaks between the next fronts should be the ticket for anyone in this neck-of-the-woods.

I sure hope that you are able to make some fresh tracks this weekend and properly enjoy the bounty!

MCGusto

by MCGusto » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:42 pm

It has been raining hard here in Pasadena all week. Here are some pics I took.

Eaton Canyon's "creek" that you can usually walk over with one skip, if it's even flowing at all (1/22/10)

View from my front yard this morning (1/23/10)

Mt. Harvard

Lowe, Markham, and San Gabriel Peak (1/23/10)

Snow levels look to be just above 4k feet. Big Bear is reporting 4 feet of snow totaled for the week. Bear Mountain was actually CLOSED yesterday (Friday) because of power outages. How bad is that! Probably the best conditions in years and the power goes out! The 330 and Hwy 38 to Big Bear have been swapping places being closed for the last couple of days because of snowfall. Can't wait to see some pics of the mudslides off Angeles Crest...

Gusto

Return to California