French Alpine grading to YDS

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
no avatar
Raj217

French Alpine grading to YDS

by Raj217 » Thu May 31, 2012 8:00 pm

I am planning to climb a 5000m peak in Peruvian Andes without guide services. The difficulty of these peaks on summitpost are rated by the French Alpine grading (FAG) - F, PD, AD etc..

First I'd like to confirm my understanding of FAG to YDS. for eg. the Avalanche gulch route on Mt Shasta is rated class 3 on snow in YDS. IMO that would be rated "F" in FAG: Facile - Easy climbing, little or no belaying, well protected. May involve crevassed but straightforward glaciers.

Second - any suggestions on F, PD rated 5000m peaks in Peruvian Andes which can be do-it-yourself climb ?

thanks.

no avatar
schaffner

Re: French Alpine grading to YDS

by schaffner » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:15 pm

From my understanding, I don't think you can convert them. FAG is more an overall grade for a route which can have a different YDS rock rating, ice climbing rating, roman literal length rating, and aid climbing.

Your question is comparable to the question on how to convert an SAT score to a letter grade in a specific class. Somehow correlated, but not really.

I would just look at routes you climbed in the past and try to get a feeling of what you would be comfortable with.

Return to California