Good Hikes for Children in the Tetons

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.
Snidely Whiplash

Good Hikes for Children in the Tetons

by Snidely Whiplash » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:57 pm

I hope someone can give me some good suggestions. I will be staying in Jackson, WY for about 5 days next week with the wife and kids. Anybody have good suggestions for an easy hike (under 5 miles round trip)? I already know about Hidden Falls, but any other suggestions would be much appreciated. Any ideas on short, easy hikes in Yellowstone would also be appreciated. Thanks to all those who can help.

ExcitableBoy

Re: Good Hikes for Children in the Tetons

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:40 pm

The hike around Jenny Lake is fun and easy and most kids like water. You could take the water taxi across and hike up the canyon (can't remember the name) towards Guide's Wall/Storm Point. Pretty scenic with lots of wildlife. I saw a bear and a moose.

The following user would like to thank ExcitableBoy for this post
Snidely Whiplash

darinchadwick

by darinchadwick » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:14 am

The 2 Ocean Lake area has some mellow shorter trails, and since you're a bit away from the Tetons kids can get a better overview of the range. For summit hikes with kids in Yellowstone you can't beat Mt. Washburn, though it might be bigger than what your kids are ready for. There are so many more short easy hikes in Yellowstone, it's a much more kid friendly area.

The following user would like to thank darinchadwick for this post
Snidely Whiplash

Stu Brandel

by Stu Brandel » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:24 am

It depends how old your kids are - but the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone is not to be missed. Take one of the trails into the canyon, don't just hang at the rim. It has lots of stairs but the massive fall views will make you a hero.

Do not overdo the geo thermal features - they are hot and treeless and smelly, and kids may get cranky. Do some but don't do too many. Old Faithful is one exception though.

The Mud Volcano was a nice hike but the area had tons of bison when I was there with my kids early in the morning - do not know if they will show for you there - but when they do the kids go nuts. I recommend early morning in the car to see maximum wildlife. In the canyon area we had lunch and a herd of bison actually moved right through the picnic area, to our kids delight.

Storm Point was a nice quiet hike to Yellowstone Lake that we enjoyed after dinner one day.

Have a great time. It is a big place and we saw only a fraction.

The following user would like to thank Stu Brandel for this post
Snidely Whiplash

b.

by b. » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:00 am

String lake is a good area as well. The lake is nice if it's hot, there is a trail to much larger Leigh lake that is short and flat. You can go as far as you like and get great views of Mt. Moran.

In Yellowstone, you can hike out to Mystic Falls near Old Faithful (by biscuit basin) and that's pretty short. Also the hike to Fairy Falls is great if it is still flowing. That's downstream from OF a few miles at Middle Geyser Basin. Artist Paint Pots is a short side loop where you can see some pretty cool features without the crowds for the price of a short walk. There may be wildlife so be alert, as always in the park. The "Hoodoos" area just south of Mammoth isn't really a hike, but it's one of those places where you can get out of the car and play around on cool rocks with little caves. The rocks there are ancient terraces like the ones at Mammoth.

The following user would like to thank b. for this post
Snidely Whiplash

Snidely Whiplash

by Snidely Whiplash » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:36 am

Thanks all for your suggestions. We're in Bozeman, MT right now, and will hopefully start to use some of your suggestions tomorrow. Thanks!

Return to Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)