GPS simplicity; does it exist?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
Yeti

GPS simplicity; does it exist?

by Yeti » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:44 pm

I like maps. I like Quads, I like Charts, I like unfolding a big mapped version of everything I can see around me, rather than poking around a tiny screen. I like a big view.

However, apart form dragging a sextant up with me, I can't really get dead-nuts positioning on myself if I'm lost.

I'm dreaming of a GPS that spits out Altitude, Lattitude, and Longintude ONLY, and does it immediately when turned on. Not a handheld PC that needs tech support to use, just a little display with those three gems on it, so that I can find myself on my quad/chart, and be on my way. North/South would be nice, too, but I've got a compass.

Does such a simple device exsist?

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:52 pm

Most modern GPS have a screen that displays those quantities; you can leave it on that screen if you want. Most have the ability to change the display to show the lat and long relative to the datum (which changes with the maps), and can also dosplay UTM, which is presumably more useful if you are using maps. There are cheaper models with no computer connection that will suit your needs. Some of the older models have poorer battery life and slower chipsets.

It takes a bit of time for the GPS to lock the satellite positions. The newer chipsets achieve the lock more quickly, maybe within 10 seconds, depending on how recently the GPS was use (it has to calculate the positions of the satellites, and if it just has to extrapolate a bit, the process is faster).

rhyang

by rhyang » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:24 pm

Garmin Geko 201 - cheap, light, easy to use. You can get yer coordinates in UTM and various Lat / Lon formats, but why ? I print maps out with a UTM grid via National Geographic Topo beforehand.

Yeti

by Yeti » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:27 pm

rhyang wrote:Garmin Geko 201 - cheap, light, easy to use. You can get yer coordinates in UTM and various Lat / Lon formats, but why ? I print maps out with a UTM grid via National Geographic Topo beforehand.

http://gpsinformation.net/geko-201.html
That seems like a win.

I'll be using this both on land and on water, and the charts work off of Lat/Lon. It's jsut a system I'm familiar with. Being able to do both means I can play with UTM if I want.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:43 pm

Yeti wrote:
rhyang wrote:Garmin Geko 201 - cheap, light, easy to use. You can get yer coordinates in UTM and various Lat / Lon formats, but why ? I print maps out with a UTM grid via National Geographic Topo beforehand.

That seems like a win.

I'll be using this both on land and on water, and the charts work off of Lat/Lon. It's jsut a system I'm familiar with. Being able to do both means I can play with UTM if I want.

Just recognize that it won't spit out the coords instantly after you turn it on. That unit is older, so the battery life isn't that great, but if you are turning it on only occasionally, that's all you will need. The chipset is older too, so satellite acquisition may take a bit longer. There is a computer connection, but I'm guessing it is an old serial link.

Also check:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=144&pID=8705
(no computer link, but better chipset and battery life).

rhyang

by rhyang » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:58 pm

MoapaPk wrote:
Yeti wrote:

That seems like a win.

Just recognize that it won't spit out the coords instantly after you turn it on. That unit is older, so the battery life isn't that great, but if you are turning it on only occasionally, that's all you will need. The chipset is older too, so satellite acquisition may take a bit longer. There is a computer connection, but I'm guessing it is an old serial link.

Also check:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=144&pID=8705
(no computer link, but better chipset and battery life).

Nice find ! The geko 201 has a serial PC link, which I find useful. Looks like the eTrex H does too. I'd be tempted to upgrade, but the H looks like it weighs 2 oz. more .. honestly though the satellite lock time isn't a major issue for me. I only turn the thing on to get waypoints & such. Lithium AAA's last a long time, and it has a setting for NiMH rechargeables if you want to go that route (as I'd presume the H does too).

Looks like the H is cheaper and faster, if a little heavier.

Yeti

by Yeti » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:16 pm

rhyang wrote:

Nice find !.[/quote]Ditto!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Garmin-eTrex-H-Port ... 2a0323e48f

sixfingers

by sixfingers » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:51 pm

As for simplicity every GPS I have worked with can be set to coordinates only display of some sort. Most factory settings are of pretty pictures cause numbers scare people. I spent a few years selling GPS and teaching seminars on them, was into the garmin product at the time but recently bought a Magellan Explorist 210 on ebay for $60. It is a great unit for what you are describing and would leave plenty of room to expand to basic mapping if you want. Way easier in the hand to operate than the Garmins, IMO. The gecko units are just silly, especially if you are using it for boat nav.

no avatar
bdynkin

by bdynkin » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:00 pm

My vote is for Gekko, I've had this unit for years and it works fine. One little but important detail: it is much, much smaller than eTrex and so much easier to keep warm in winter in a small shirt pocket. Battery life is a non-issue for me - I just turn it on every once and a while to confirm my position on the printed map. And you can take a lot of spare AAAs that aslo work for headlights and still be lighter than eTrex.

Get a com cable too - it's so fast and easy to create routes and waypoints on the computer and transfer to this unit! I bought a $50 software to do that - ExpertGPS.

Damien Gildea

by Damien Gildea » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:26 pm

I have both a Geko 201 and an older Etrex Summit. I agree the small size of the Geko is a big factor as it means I'm more likely to actually take it somewhere than not, as it easily fits in pockets etc. and is thus easier to keep warm - so I've never had a problem with battery life. We've used both Etrex and Gekos in Antarctica and usually one set of Energizer Li batteries is fine for 50+ days of regular use, though we take spares.

However I find the buttons on the Etrex easier to operate ergonomically, even more so with gloves - the Geko is almost impossible with gloves on, as the tiny buttons sit on top of the unit, close together. The other thing is that to use the compass feature on the Geko you have to be moving - it will not work if you just stand still. I didn't think this would matter much but on the few occasions I've wanted to use the compass it's a pain in the ass, especially on a narrow ridge, in thick bush or on the edge of a stream - anywhere you can't easily take a few steps without looking!

D

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:45 pm

I don't think the stock eTrex H has an "electronic" (mag flux) compass either. The eTrex Vista H has an electronic compass and barometric altimeter, but it retails ~$200.

rhyang

by rhyang » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:27 am

The geko 201 has two compass-style displays, but does not have an electronic compass per se. The first such display is for "Heading" -- that is, which way you are going, which I guess is computed from motion. The "Bearing" shows the direction of a waypoint: you select a waypoint and then select "Go To".

I don't pay attention to the former, because I already carry an orienteering compass with me anyway. To use the latter, you just read off the bearing and set your compass to it.

Not sure if it's still the case, but a friend with an older eTrex Summit said the electronic compass really drains the battery, so he would turn that feature off.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:11 am

rhyang wrote:Not sure if it's still the case, but a friend with an older eTrex Summit said the electronic compass really drains the battery, so he would turn that feature off.

The older flux compasses did indeed drain the batteries. The newer units (with the high-sensitivity chipsets) are much more energy-efficient.

I keep the electronic compass in my 60csx turned off most of the time; that's not how I use a GPS.

Nikolas_A

by Nikolas_A » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:54 am

Why... Many countries have created custom datums to better represent their area on map. As you know developing the 3d surface of the Earth to a 2d map causes distortion. If you use the same method of projection throughout the world, some areas will be more distorted than others. So, some datums work better for some areas.

UTM will work ok globally BUT: When you have to find the coordinates of a point on the map between grid lines, you have to do some math. You can print a ruler marked in degrees and minutes for the scale you are using, BUT (again): A degree of latitude or longitude will correspond in a different distance on the map when the latitude changes. So you need a ruler for every map of different lat...

In Greece we use the EGSA87 datum, with units in meters. You measure a distance from the grid line on the map, convert to scale and you have the coordinate.

rhyang

by rhyang » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:49 pm

Yes, this is why I like UTM -- it's metric, so no messing around with degrees, minutes, etc. Nice and linear.

The geko 201 has a datum setting which defaults to WGS 84, but I couldn't find EGSA 87 in the list of choices .. garmin has a list of available datums online here. I couldn't find much info on the Greek system via google .. probably I'd have better luck if I could read Greek :oops:

Next

Return to Gear