I think I am looking for a Boot / Shoe that doesnt exist

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
sneakyracer

I think I am looking for a Boot / Shoe that doesnt exist

by sneakyracer » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:49 pm

I think I am looking for a Boot / Shoe that doesnt exist:

I am looking for a boot/shoe for hiking up "trekking" peaks up to 4000-6000m peaks max that are not all snow with long approaches that is:

-waterproof but breathable
-lightweight
-tough/durable
-has grippy rubber thats good on rock / wet surfaces but still sheds mud decently and performs well on loose terrain
-good torsional stiffness but has nice fore-aft give
-good ankle support/protection
-really good arch support and generally good foot support but still has room in the toe box area
-provides good cushioning for comfort
-can take a crampon and is decent with it (i am NOT looking to climbing vertical ice)

any ideas?

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:00 am

if you are serious about it....meaning you want to move and move at a fast pace....La Sportiva Trango S....not meant to last forever, gives that up in weight...but meant for climbing up to 5.9, hiking fast on approach and descents and serious protection on big mountain routes, takes an alpine crampon with a stiff enough bottom to climb through WI 4 no worries

no avatar
sneakyracer

by sneakyracer » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:18 am

Dow Williams wrote:if you are serious about it....meaning you want to move and move at a fast pace....La Sportiva Trango S....not meant to last forever, gives that up in weight...but meant for climbing up to 5.9, hiking fast on approach and descents and serious protection on big mountain routes, takes an alpine crampon with a stiff enough bottom to climb through WI 4 no worries

Well durability isnt critical as long as its good enough for a year or 2 of sparse use and doesnt fall apart on one trip. I am not looking for vertical climbing performance, 4th class tops although its nice to have just in case. Comfort on 6-12 mile hikes on moderate grade on packed trails and loose rock is a must.

Mark Straub

by Mark Straub » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:45 am

Kayland MXT works for me at:

Scrambling
Rock climbing (5.6 so far, I'm gonna push it harder with these)
Hiking
Snow
Ice climbing (up to WI4)

I love it. I have flat feet, but I don't even need insoles to be comfortable in these. They fit me perfectly.

-Mark

MScholes

by MScholes » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:50 am

They may be overkill for you but I picked up a set of the newer LS Baturas over the holidays, and it's only been a month and they've taken a huge pounding from me so far and I've logged a LOT of hiking miles in them (although some on purpose to simply break em in slightly).

Just did 2 beautiful new mixed routes in em earlier today. They've got amazing heel support with zero lift for me when you cinch down the laces and for long slogs, loosen them up slightly. Very pleased and quite impressed with the warmth upgrade over the Nepals that I had prior, and where I am.... I need the warmth.

no avatar
sneakyracer

by sneakyracer » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:07 am

Hi, thx for the replies! Just wanted to add that my feet are far from flat, I have medium arches. I find that stiff shoes with a somewhat flat insole / footbed give me arch pain and I also crave cushioning in the front. I usually add some aftermarket insoles to get a better fit on any shoe though.

The Kayland's look quite interesting and close to what I am looking for (exept for the red color!). I might order them at zappos.com and see how they fit (will wait to get some more recomendations)

I am going to Mexico to experience and hopefully summit the volcanoes (Izta for sure, maybe others depending on how I feel) and probably also going to Colorado in May.

Most guide services tell you to take plastics to Izta and Orizaba but from the info I gather from people that have been there plastics are waaay overkill and actually not ideal for anything but the last 2k ft on the Jamapa Glacier on Orizaba if its really cold. On Izta, the approach and hike up to the ridge is at least 4-5 miles on a dusty trail and a hike up 800 ft face on loose scree and then several up downs on a mix of snow, scree and dirt. Orizaba looks mainly a scree / loose rock and then a rock scramble mixed with some snow up to the glacier.

I have a friend that live in Mexico city and has been to Izta twice and Malinche and said that on Izta being light is key due to the length of the hike at high altitudes.

On Colorado I will try to avoid any technical routes (no long ice/snow couloirs for me) but might encounter a bit of snow.

I was considering just using strap on crampons on hiking/trekking boots like these: http://www.zappos.com/scarpa-barun-gtx- ... e-mangrove but my experience with crampons is nill.

I have climbed a little with ski boots to hike up terrain to ski and HATED It, so clunky and heavy I felt like I had bricks tied to my feet.

I want a boot I can wear all day and not have to carry it in my pack.

Return to Gear