Hike Dec 26-27 Whites NH

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Kristin5berry

Hike Dec 26-27 Whites NH

by Kristin5berry » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:20 pm

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Im Heading up to the White Mountains NH for a post-Christmas-Joy two day winter hiking extravaganza December 26-27. Im bringing two friends who are slightly new to the area, yet extremely athletic. Has anyone been up this week? Any good suggestions? Want to join in? I have been in San Bernardino CA for the past week, (so out of the loop a bit.)

Cheers!
~Kristin

kozman18

Re: Hike Dec 26-27 Whites NH

by kozman18 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:21 am

If you are planning an overnight, the RMC huts on the north end of the Presidentials make a good base for a two day hike. Gray Knob is winterized and heated (to some extent). Crag Camp sits on the King Ravine -- also open in the winter. From there, you can hike Madison, Adams, Jefferson or, if you are fast and get an early start, Washington.

You can leave a car at Lowe's store (safer than parking at trailhead lot) and hike up Lowe's path to reach the camps. They have access to a water supply, so no need to melt snow. There is a charge for staying in the camps ($12). http://www.randolphmountainclub.org/sheltersinfo/grayknob.html

You can sometimes get a good, current description of the trail conditions here: http://www.viewsfromthetop.com/trail/nh/index.html

Have a great trip.

Castlereagh

by Castlereagh » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:28 am

There's always the southern end of the Presidentials and the Crawford Path. I'd think it'd be pretty well packed this time of year. Like kozman said vtff is an excellent source for current trail conditions.

Looks pretty chilly for Sunday...a long way from San Bernadino

Grampahawk

by Grampahawk » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:10 pm

The wind chills are what get you so dress in warm layers, facemask, goggles. I did the Moose last weekend and it was bitter above treeline, plus the wind was blowing the new powder around and we had limited visibility. There was only about 15 inches of snow last week and it was mostly booted in. We didn't need snowshoes. I'm sure if you check with the AMC people they'll have an update.

Return to General