How much gear do people actually need on Denali?

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
AdamsKerr

Re: How much gear do people actually need on Denali?

by AdamsKerr » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:33 pm

punchline wrote:I went with Alpine Ascents,Int.l a couple years ago. I was sort of taken aback by their Denali gear list. Luckily I already had just about everything and didn't need to go out and buy more. With that said, on my trip, with the weather we had and based on my comfort level, I was glad I took everything they recommended. I used everything on the list and there was not one thing that I either never used or needed. Granted, I paid very close attention to my particular "cold triggers" and I was never cold. With all the other climbers on the mountain, I suppose if you forgot something you could probably scrounge it up, especially at 14K but I wouldn't go with that attitude necessarily.

FOR A COMPARISON.

i lucked out as far as temps/weather goes. i did not need everything on the gear list (also went with alpine ascents) i never wore my long underwear (lightweight or heavyweight) nor did i wear my heavyweight base layer/micro fleece and did not need my down parka until the summit ridge except in the evening at lower camps but could have easily gotten away with a lighter weight down jacket. i over heated while on denali pass (wearing the parka) and climbed IN A BASE LAYER, still pretty damn hot, until the summit ridge while the team climbing the previous day wore as much as they could their entire day.

in short, its a good idea to bring everything. you never know.

no avatar
hatidua

by hatidua » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:45 am

Fletch wrote:Nice bottle of single malt scotch also gets you to the front of the line when attempting to leave the airstrip before a storm comes in... especially if everyone in line only speaks Kazakh...

A video of that would be priceless.

cab

by cab » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:13 pm

My feeling up there was when you are already carrying that much weight in food, fuel, gear, and clothes, carrying a few more pounds of clothes that might make your 3 weeks on the mountain more comfortable was worth it. Who knows, that one extra layer may even save your life if things go wrong.

Day Hiker

by Day Hiker » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:41 pm

AndyJB444 wrote:Chemical Toe Warmers for Emergency and Summit Day(2 pair)

Maybe mine were the wrong kind, but I found them to be completely useless at elevation. I have no idea how well they work at sea level, but I don't care either.

I think they were these type, but it's been a while:

AndyJB444

by AndyJB444 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:36 pm

Hah, funny thing is I used that exact brand of both toe and hand warmers and they probably saved the tips of a few of my fingers on summit day.

While they don't get SUPER hot they did get warm enough, and lasted around 8 hours - I just let them hang out inside my alti mitts all day and they did the job for me. I am glad I had them.

Day Hiker wrote:
AndyJB444 wrote:Chemical Toe Warmers for Emergency and Summit Day(2 pair)

Maybe mine were the wrong kind, but I found them to be completely useless at elevation. I have no idea how well they work at sea level, but I don't care either.

I think they were these type, but it's been a while:

Scott
Forum Moderator

by Scott » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:23 am

Is it really THAT bad up there? I climbed at -45 F, but never needed more than a base layer and a hard shell...

I haven't climbed Denali, but I do know that -45 at 10,000 feet is completely different from -45 at 20,000 feet.

Where did you climb in -45?

kovarpa

by kovarpa » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:06 am

hmm, i had capilene 2 and MH Tenacity G-Tex XCR for all of it except summit day. Summit day I had teh cap 2 and fleece pants underneath the MH Tenacity pants. No insulated pants whatsoever. And yes, I have been in some pretty bad weather there. At the lower elevations I was wishing I had sofshell pants only.

You need to know whether you generate heat or whether you tend to get cold. What I used may be inadequate for others and too much for somebody else.

PreviousNext

Return to Gear