How was Your weekend?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Dave Daly

Re: How was Your weekend?

by Dave Daly » Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:11 pm

Sound advice...especially the later part!
"All you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be."
~ David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

Craig Peer

by Craig Peer » Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:16 pm

Hey, we need him in one piece. I wouldn't solo that route. Aunt Fanny, maybe that would be ok ( but why? - rope up and do something harder and more interesting - and drag me along for the ride while you're at it!)!

Jack Daniels

by Jack Daniels » Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:24 pm

Poor Aunt Fanny's Pantry sure gets picked on! It doesn't have to be hard to be fun. The joy of movement is at the heart of free climbing for most folks and easy climbing provides that. I personally like that climb. It is a little dirty and not particularly hard, but it takes you to a novel location(one can say the same thing about a huge number of mountaineering objectives). Also, from "the pantry" itself, you can rap down to the chains for Energizer and thereby top rope that route.

As for free soloing... that's a topic that's been beaten to death. John, if you aren't already onsite free soloing polished 5.8 liebacks with no easy downclimb, please give it some thought before you launch off.

John

by John » Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:28 pm

Yeah - I thought it might be a mistake to broadcast my FS plans ;-) Just heard from Michele that she won't be able to make next weekend unfortunately. Not sure if this has anything to do with Church Bowl Lieback - which incidentally I think is a great climb.<p>I guess my weekend is open. Anyone want to climb something? Free soloing 5.8 is not mandatory ;-)

Jack Daniels

by Jack Daniels » Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:34 pm

<i>I thought it might be a mistake to broadcast my FS plans</i>

True enough. I find it best not to tell anybody (even my girlfriend) about something like that lest it affect my decision to go or bail. Best to have an unclouded mind.

<i>I guess my weekend is open. Anyone want to climb something?</i>

My weekend is open at the moment. What kind of climbing are you up for?

John

by John » Mon Jun 02, 2003 8:53 pm

Jack - I just sent you an email. Let me know what you think.

John

by John » Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:33 pm

Looks like I'll be in Yosemite on Sunday. Not sure what I'll be doing yet but it will probably include some nailing practice.<p>For Saturday, I'm taking my cousin up on an offer to get away from climbing for a while. We're going fishing :-)

Dave Daly

by Dave Daly » Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:20 pm

Now soloing Cathedral Peak SE Butt. or Eichorn Pinnacle's North Face are excellent solo prospects for you, if you wanna start such endevours. Bob, Michael and I did the Cathedral Range (except for the Echo Peaks) last year and found it to be a truly awesome time. It was Michael first and last time to solo. See Bob's Sept 2002 TR on his webpage (www.bobburd.com). When you're soloing, you're so in tune with your 5 senses and everything is so magnified.
"All you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be."
~ David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

Craig Peer

by Craig Peer » Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:33 pm

Hey - no disrespect to either Aunt Fannys Pantry or easier class 5 climbing - that's what I've been doing in an alpine setting for the last few years. And it is fun. As a matter of fact, I'm looking forward to this summers moderate class 5 climbing in Dusy Basin, before becoming a big wall slave again starting next year.

Jack Daniels

by Jack Daniels » Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:07 pm

John - I just sent you an email, but it looks like I missed the deadline to respond. Oh well, maybe some other time?

Back in partner search mode...

<i>before becoming a big wall slave again starting next year.</i>

Craig - no wall plans for Sept/Oct?

Craig Peer

by Craig Peer » Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:12 pm

Nope. Vacation time is totally overbooked this year. Only so much to go around. It's the same story every year. Next year is a tug of war between 2 weeks in Italy ( and hopefully climbing the Matterhorn from the Italian side before drinking some wine ) and maybe 2 grade V's. This year I'm content to " practice climb " ( based on the theory that everything other than a big wall is merely practice for a big wall !)! 3 weeks vacation is not enough!!

John

by John » Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:49 pm

Jack - Sorry about the sudden change in plans. My cousin called me last night out of the blue and I only get to see him 3-4 times a year. He loves to fish but his family life dictates that he fishes less than 5 times per year now. Quite sad really IMO but it will be good to spend some time with him again. If you're open to climbing together on Sunday, let me know. If I can't find any partners for this Sunday, you'll probably be able to find me behind Curry Village fiddling with the Silent Partner. Have to figure out how to lead with that eventually ;-)

Dave - I don't really want to discuss free soloing too much until Monday as I need to have an unclouded mind ;-) Actually, I'm guessing that rope soloing may be even more dangerous than free soloing if you don't know how to work the device!

Jack Daniels

by Jack Daniels » Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:24 pm

John - No worries. I'll drop you a line about this Sunday.

<i>everything other than a big wall is merely practice for a big wall</i>

Craig - Sounds a bit like the Warren Harding big wall training program: Eating, drinking wine, and loafing. It worked for him!

depclimb

by depclimb » Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:30 pm

The eating, drinking of beer and loafing program worked for Don Whilans also.

Craig Peer

by Craig Peer » Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:30 pm

We don't call it Decadent Outdoor Adventurers ( or D.O.A. ) for nothing ( a division of Directly Off the Couch Crowd - the old D.O.C.C. climbing club )..............

Hey, I've got a big wall for you and Dave - Bastille Buttress on Lone Pine Peak - perfect fun!

PreviousNext

Return to General