How was Your weekend?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Dave Daly

Re: How was Your weekend?

by Dave Daly » Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:43 pm

That sounds good to me. I busted Alois's chops regarding Bastille. Craig....didn't Alois send you the topo? Did you wanna put that on the "To Do" list for next year......perhaps September? Maybe John would want to get in on that as well? BTW, I'm sketching in the Triple Divide tour in the calender for August next year.
"All you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be."
~ David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

Craig Peer

by Craig Peer » Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:44 pm

Well, there is cross training involved. This Sat. we are doing the 1/2 metric version of the Sierra Century bike ride ( followed by - you guessed it - wine tasting in Amador County ).

Jack Daniels

by Jack Daniels » Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:55 pm

What? A 50km bike ride? As in <i>exercise</i>?? What would Warren have thought!? Surely he wouldn't have ridden a bicycle for 3 hours and then spent the afternoon spitting good wine into a crock. I'll bet they don't even have tastings of Hearty Burgandy at E&J Gallo.

Bastille Buttress? I'm not familiar with it. Can you give me some background or am I going to have to start digging on my own?

Martin Cash

by Martin Cash » Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:01 pm

I don't see how the last 2 pages has anything to do with "How WAS your weekend".

John

by John » Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:04 pm

But at least it's about climbing! More than I can say about other posts.

Jack Daniels

by Jack Daniels » Tue Jun 03, 2003 9:05 pm

<i>I don't see how the last 2 pages has anything to do with "How WAS your weekend".</i>

It's called thread creep. It's still legal in most states.

Deb

by Deb » Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:36 pm

Spent the weekend at Owen's River Gorge with Kris and Guy, a couple of climbing historians! These two gentlemen were great fun and made my first 10a lead a success with their patience and "cheerleading" skills. Gorgeous got the best of me, but "I'll be back!"

Dave Daly

by Dave Daly » Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:45 pm

Deb-

Another fun .10a lead in the Gorge is 'Nirvana' (Social Platform area). Gorgeous has a fat ledge just below the second crux. A nice place to milk out a no hands rest. You can do it!! BTW, weren't you gonna hook up with Chele? She was looking for someone to partner up with in Courtright next week.

Craig Peer

by Craig Peer » Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:29 pm

Dave, I've done Bastille and I have a topo -
<A HREF="http://www.summitpost.com/cgi-bin/route_link.pl?object_id=488&route_id=991">Bastille Buttress</A> - I was thinking you, Jim and John should do it!!

Who spits the wine out? I drink the stuff - only good for about 3 wineries though ( seems like a waste to spit perfectly good wine away )!!

"I don't see how the last 2 pages has anything to do with "How WAS your weekend"." - also known as wandering thread syndrome - no known cure!

Jack Daniels

by Jack Daniels » Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:50 pm

Craig - Bastille Buttress looks very good. <i>Very</i> good. I'm adding it to my already overbloated list of climbs that I have no partner for yet. I notice in a quick Google search that Brutus of Wyde likes the route. That says something, although I'm not sure what exactly.

Glad to hear you don't spit. Warren would approve. I have the same problem with wine tasting. After a few wineries it all tastes like water.

By the way, I noticed on Supertaco that you were querying about TDA and Electric Ladyland. I'm guessing your interest is with the latter and it's beautiful steep corners, right? I've been hunting for someone to climb TDA with this year. It's in the ST book, but I don't think it gets too clogged up with parties.

Craig Peer

by Craig Peer » Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:40 pm

Electric Ladyland looks pretty good on paper anyway, but TDA looks good too. One could also start on E. L. and finish on TDA - the Ten Day Lady variation?

I still like the idea of Higher Aspirations on Higher Cathedral Spire - nailing on the Spire - what an exposed route with an awesome view that must be ( and no crowds I imagine )!

Dave Daly

by Dave Daly » Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:35 pm

Higher Aspiration is #1 on my list. We planned on doing that next year, right?

Craig Peer

by Craig Peer » Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:52 pm

Sure Dave. When do you want to do some aid practice?

Deb

by Deb » Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:50 am

....phew.....Just returned from 3 day climbing trip at Yosemite. Although the Half Dome plan didn't transpire due to threatening weather, I got the grand tour of several climbing areas - Manure Pile, Glacier Point Apron, Church Bowl. The blazing sun before afternoon showers was a energy sapper, but the climbing was fantastic! Next trip I will request cooler temps sans mosquitos!
BTW, anyone got the scoop on who needing rescuing on Half Dome Saturday morning?
Dave - I couldn't make a drive up to Courtright and already had this invite; next weekend I fly out to VA for my 1st Sgt "kindergarten" class, I thought Michele went to Tahoe anyway. Thanks for the beta on Gorgeous, I'll get that sucker this fall!

Michele

by Michele » Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:30 pm

Deb - Nope, I was in Tuolumne, where there was plenty of snow, raging snow melt rivers, and hot weather. It made for some challenging navigation up the peaks. Tahoe was last week. And today I was supposed to be climbing out at Wamello (Fresno) Dome...but I caught my first cold in over two years! Don't let climbing partners drink from your CamelBak! It sounds like you had a great tour of Yosemite, Deb. I'm sure we'll cross paths again one of these days in the mountains!

Dave - Still need a partner for Courtright. Feel free to pass my contact information on to your YOSAR friend.

I hope you all had a great weekend, filled with fresh air, steep terrain, and blue skies!

PreviousNext

Return to General