Igniter or DAS for May Rainier

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
kiwiw

by kiwiw » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:33 am

warm is nice, for hanging around your high camp and on the summit, DAS is what I'd take.

no avatar
sneakyracer

Re: Igniter or DAS for May Rainier

by sneakyracer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:42 pm

Chuckne wrote:I have both....and just looking for recommendations for Rainier (my first time in the PNW). Picked up the Igniter for $50 on the clearance rack at EB. I also have my well used old style DAS. I really can't find the "fill weight" specs on the Ignitor but I do know it has the new permaloft one so it is thinner, lighter and packs much smaller than the DAS. Thoughts or suggestions welcomed and thanks in advance.

Hi, I have the Igniter and recently used on a farm in upstate NY during a blizzard and it was amazing. With light baselayer and a light powertretch fleece under it it was actually too warm whenever I started hiking up and I had to open the zipper a bit so not to overheat. I stood around in 35mph winds and temps in the mid 20's and could not feel the cold air getting through at all. I also tried my fleece lined softshell (I know no comparison) in the same conditions with the same underlayers and I was cold instantly.

The jacket is filled with primaloft but its a new kind and its very effective. It kinda suprised me because the jacket is light and kinda thin. I love the fit of the jacket. Great cut that hugs the body but still works well over my hardshell or under it.

I have never been to Rainier but from what I have read: The less weight you have to carry up the better; Depending on the time of year you might need a thicker Parka but during peak season the Igniter should be perfect.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:01 pm

I have a Wild Things Belay Parka, similar to the DAS. I only use it in Alaska and on Rainier in the dead of winter. For April through October on Rainier I use a lighter jacket, the Patagonia Micropuff. My vote would be the Igniter jacket, with a light fleece jacket like the Patagonia R1 hoody or the R2 underneath.

no avatar
jthomas

by jthomas » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:23 pm

ExcitibleBoy wrote:I have a Wild Things Belay Parka, similar to the DAS. I only use it in Alaska and on Rainier in the dead of winter. For April through October on Rainier I use a lighter jacket, the Patagonia Micropuff. My vote would be the Igniter jacket, with a light fleece jacket like the Patagonia R1 hoody or the R2 underneath.

I have another thread going about Pata clothing system for Hood/Rainier. For upper layers I am considering:

capilene T shirt
R1 Hoody
Houdini
Marmot PL belay parka (for stops)

My quandary is whether to take a Nanopuff or an Arcteryx Gamma MX softshell. I love all the pockets and the hood on the Gamma MX, but wondering if it is justified. Thanks

Jim

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:50 pm

jthomas wrote:
ExcitibleBoy wrote:I have a Wild Things Belay Parka, similar to the DAS. I only use it in Alaska and on Rainier in the dead of winter. For April through October on Rainier I use a lighter jacket, the Patagonia Micropuff. My vote would be the Igniter jacket, with a light fleece jacket like the Patagonia R1 hoody or the R2 underneath.

I have another thread going about Pata clothing system for Hood/Rainier. For upper layers I am considering:

capilene T shirt
R1 Hoody
Houdini

My quandary is whether to take a Nanopuff or an Arcteryx Gamma MX softshell. I love all the pockets and the hood on the Gamma MX, but wondering if it is justified. Thanks

Jim

I have a softshell jacket, it is quite lovely with different shades of blue. I wear it on the bus when I go to work and when walking the dogs around the neighborhood. For climbing the only softshell I take is a Marmot Driclime. I am on my third one.

Basically here is what I take for my upper body on Rainier May - Sept:

Light weight, short sleeve tech tee in a light color.
Marmot Driclime wind shirt
Light weight hooded shell - currently a 10 oz Montbell Versalite
Patagonia Micropuff hooded parka
If it is colder than usual or earlier in the season I throw in a light weight fleece - either Powerstretch or Patagonia R2

Hope that answers your question.

Snowball

by Snowball » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:53 pm

may on rainier can be very cold and frigid. if nothing goes wrong and you happen to have great weather, then something light might work fine. but if you get stuck somewhere or the weather changes, the DAS is what i would want to have. i have used my DAS many yrs on rainier (winter-summer) and use a layering system (bot-top:windshirt/R4/DAS/shell). r u trying to avoid down?
Last edited by Snowball on Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
jthomas

by jthomas » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:56 pm

ExcitibleBoy wrote:
jthomas wrote:

capilene T shirt
R1 Hoody
Houdini

Jim

I have a softshell jacket, it is quite lovely with different shades of blue. I wear it on the bus when I go to work and when walking the dogs around the neighborhood. For climbing the only softshell I take is a Marmot Driclime. I am on my third one.

Basically here is what I take for my upper body on Rainier May - Sept:

Light weight, short sleeve tech tee in a light color.
Marmot Driclime wind shirt
Light weight hooded shell - currently a 10 oz Montbell Versalite
Patagonia Micropuff hooded parka
If it is colder than usual or earlier in the season I throw in a light weight fleece - either Powerstretch or Patagonia R2

Hope that answers your question.

I am thinking the Gamma MX was a mistake. Thank God I got it on sale! What is the Versalite? I have a Driclime and like it, but I am really taken with the R1 Hoody + Houdini so far.

Snowball

by Snowball » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:06 pm

Snowball wrote:may on rainier can be very cold and frigid. if nothing goes wrong and you happen to have great weather, then something light might work fine. but if you get stuck somewhere or the weather changes, the DAS is what i would want to have. i have used my DAS many yrs on rainier (winter-summer) and use a layering system (bot-top:windshirt/R4/DAS/shell). r u trying to avoid down?

i just noticed that you said that its your first time in the PNW.... err on taking more warmer gear than lighter. if you were going in summer, then lighter gear is reasonable, but youre going in may. i have seen many people new to the PNW underestimate its temp+conditions so hope this might help.

cbcbd

by cbcbd » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:13 pm

May? Hmm... well, that's sort of the shoulder between Winter weather and Summer weather. Kinda hard to predict now but...

Chances are you'll lose more heat in May from wind than from the cold ambient temps. Which means that as long as you have a shell you don't need as much insulation while moving. For climbs like that I tend to follow Twight's "action suit" mantra. I take 3 top layers on these climbs - base, shell, warm parka. Climb with base alone if not windy or with shell if windy and throw on the parka when stopped. Has worked so far April and May on Rainier.

I wouldn't be too worried about taking the igniter as the warm layer. When hanging out at camp you'll probably be at a lower elevation around 10K' anyway, baking in the sun, keeping warm by running around doing camp chores, hanging inside the Muir hut (if you are in the area), and you'll be close to your sleeping bag if it gets chilly.

When you're on the move you shouldn't need your igniter, if you picked your weather right and it's sunny then that helps a lot and can actually get pretty stiffling if there isn't a breeze. I remember sweating with my base and shell at around 12k' in April on a sunny calm descent.

bird

by bird » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:55 am

If you are doing a standard route with a high camp, take the Das. If you are doing a carryover and want to keep weight to minimum, take the igniter, every once will count.

Return to Gear