Igniter Jacket vs. DAS Parka

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
jo83ben

Re: Igniter Jacket vs. DAS Parka

by jo83ben » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:55 pm

To reply to the original post, I think you're talking two different jackets. The DAS is a parka, it has more insulation, its bulkier and heavier. But with that comes more warmth. The Igniter fits more in the category of the mountain hardwear compressor hooded (which I own), and other mid-weight synthetic jackets. The DAS is almost a synthetic alternative to a hooded puffy down. To the comment about "will the igniter dry gloves like my DAS can"...yes and no. Insert gloves into jacket, let dry. The only difference is the igniter doesn't come with inside pockets for that purpose, and isn't as warm as the DAS. But again, the DAS is more of a down puffy alternative (and most down puffy's come with inside glove pockets).

I actually just got the igniter and can now compare it to the hooded Compressor by MH, and I must say its a nicer jacket. The insulation is primaloft one, the fit is a little baggier which makes it nice to fit over a shell or mid layer, and the hood on the igniter is amazing. It fits over large ski helmets and also cinches down nicely over a bare head, making a port just big enough for goggles (which the MH cannot do). Anyways, I might do a video review at some point on these two jackets, but as for the DAS vs Igniter. Two different jackets for two different purposes.

Also, it doesn't need to be said that patagonia is an amazing brand, everyone knows that. Eddie Bauer First Ascent however, people like to knock without having seen or used any of their gear. I have a few of their pieces (and some patagonia stuff too) and they're top notch, and their warranty is as good as Patagonia's.

TimB

by TimB » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:43 pm

Not tried the Igniter here, but do have some experience with the DAS. I had an older DAS, probably '06 production? that was warm, but incredibly bulky. Flash forward to my '12 DAS-a whole different animal. Not nearly as bulky and to me, at least, every bit as warm. Great for drying sweaty layers out, IMO.

Dane1

by Dane1 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:33 pm

Eddie Bauer Ignitor uses 100g of Primaloft 1 through out the garment.
weight is •397g (14 oz)
retail is $200

The Patagonia DAS uses 179g of Primaloft 1 through out the garment (currently, but is changing again for 2013/14)
weight is •790 g (27.9 oz)
retai lis $300

details on the changes in the newest DAS version here:

http://coldthistle.blogspot.com/2012/12 ... 32014.html

Same jackets basically, but half or double the the insulation, depending on your choice of garment. IMO simply different tools for the tool box.

The following user would like to thank Dane1 for this post
TimB

Previous

Return to Gear