JMT - skip yosemite section?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
jareds

JMT - skip yosemite section?

by jareds » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:10 pm

hey have some time between old and new job, looking to do a last-minute trip on the JMT. Prob during last week of July into August.

Looks like there's no way to get any of the standard campgrounds:
http://www.yosemiteconservancystore.com/DSN/wwwyosemiteassociationorg/Content/Webcam/original/rptFullTrailheadDatesPage2.htm

I assume this is just Yosemite traffic;
If i were to start outside of the park at like Agnew Meadow and head south from there
will I be good as far as avoiding/conforming to any sort of regulations?

Please let me know what you think about that plan and if you have any alternative suggestions.

thanks!

mrchad9

Re: JMT - skip yosemite section?

by mrchad9 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:18 pm

I'll send you a PM. You can get around all of this, without risk, easily.

rlshattuck

by rlshattuck » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:35 am

mrchad9 wrote:I'll send you a PM. You can get around all of this, without risk, easily.

"Mr Chad" I'd like to know too . . . pm me. if only because I've done the trail so many times and the issue of when and where to start and camp always has people in a bind.

I consider the section from the valley to TM to be kind of a testing ground . . . lots of people assume they can do the entire JMT, but they can barely get out of the valley. TM is a good place to hang it up if you barely made it up there.

If you're in shape and it's all good, then from the valley up is just a nice way to acclimate and get your body ready for things to come.

But yeah, a few too many rules and regs for some people, but really, once you get into TM and up Lyell, you can kiss Yosemite and it's starched rangers goodbye and the rest of the trail is sort of a do as you please as far as where you go and stay. Just Start in TM . . . easier to get back to your car than having to go back into Agnew.

I'm just curious if "mr. chad's secrets" are the same as mine.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:13 am

diggity done

b_betts

by b_betts » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:03 am

Any recent reports on how the snow levels are on the JMT? Last I heard it was still causing trouble...

Arthur Digbee

by Arthur Digbee » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:35 am

Backpacker magazine suggested stashing your pack at Tuolumne and ultra-light day hiking out of the valley, getting your pack at Tuolumne, and getting out of the park. Long day, obviously. Have you done it that way, mrchad9?
OCCUPY SUMMITPOST !

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:10 am

Arthur I haven't done it that way, but I completely agree with the process. Doing it again a dayhike from YV to Tuolumne would be what I would do. That was also a component of my suggestion to jareds.

There is no need for a permit starting in YV that way.

no avatar
TucsonTom

by TucsonTom » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:32 pm

This sounds interesting. I would like to know the trick, if you would be good enough to PM me, I would really
appreciate it. I just counted the miles from the Valley up to Tuolumne Meadows and it is about 22, so
my idea of parking at TM and doing a trip to the valley and back as a day hike seems a little out of line.

My intent is to hike the JMT in pieces and might do my first "piece" in the next few weeks.

Return to California