JMT Yosemite Permit Venting (and question)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Trawinski

JMT Yosemite Permit Venting (and question)

by Trawinski » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:38 pm

I've been trying to get a JMT permit starting at Happy Isles and going anywhere they'd let me for 3 weeks now, all to no avail. I'm using the 6-month table they provide and applying for the first available date. I am hampered by the fact that I need to start on a Sunday, but I understand there is a quota and I'm fine with that. In fact, I support that fully.

What's making me ready to smash my fax machine and throw my phone through the window is the archaic system that Yosemite Conservancy is using for this process. Why on earth do we have to call, fax or write in our permit app when there is a perfectly functional online system designed for that exact task??!! I have sent dozens of faxes, almost all of which come back as "Failed". I've made well over a hundred phone calls only to hear a busy signal. They complain "Our fax machine is overwhelmed." Aww, poor little fax machine, but there is such a thing as an internet for fuck sake! What century are we living in?! I understand they distribute the permits randomly during the weekends, not first-come first served, but a computer can be random if that's what you want. I just don't get why I have to go through this agony only to be rejected week after week. Arrrrgggghhhh!!!!!!!!

Vent session complete. Thanks for listening ;)

RickF

Re: JMT Yosemite Permit Venting (and question)

by RickF » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:52 pm

Its only a matter of time but beauracracies are painfully slow to change. Even the Inyo District of the USFS has finally turned over its archaic, faxed-based lottery system to an on-line precess run by Recreation.gov. Whitney and Half-Dome now have very similar reservation processes. Seems like it could be easily adapted for the JMT.

Trawinski

by Trawinski » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:38 pm

Yep. The weird thing was that about 3 weeks ago, before I was ready to pull the trigger on a JMT permit, I was messing around on Recreation.gov and all 3 of the Happy Isles trailhead options were visible, with available dates and everything (along with all other Yosemite TH's), just like every other location handled by Recreation.gov. I figured I'd just use that system, but then a week later, when I was ready to do it, the only options were fax, phone, snail. Maybe just a glitch, or a beta test, who knows. But clearly somebody has already setup the necessary fields to allow this to be done online.

fedak

by fedak » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:30 am

> I've been trying to get a JMT permit starting at Happy Isles and going anywhere they'd let me for 3 weeks now

This isn't related to your issues- but they quota based on the trailhead not the destination
So it doesn't matter where you are going- just where you start.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html

rlshattuck

by rlshattuck » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:39 am

not to brag, but I've done the JMT thirteen times, all "walk-ups" . . . just give yourself a few days extra in any plan you make, but more than likely, you'll walk in and get a permit for something, first try.

Only once have I ever had to come back the next day and wait in line and than was August of 2011 . . . . big snow year and everyone waited until the usually easy month/time of late August.

My guess is that so many people are reading the weather this year and thinking it's going to be an easy hike in June or July ( and pray they are wrong) and permits will be easy to get later in the season, while all those that went early, ended up bailing, or something like that.

jareds

by jareds » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:08 am

Trawinski wrote:"Our fax machine is overwhelmed." Aww, poor little fax machine,

I hope we get faster fax machines ASAP

Trawinski

by Trawinski » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:58 pm

fedak wrote:>
This isn't related to your issues- but they quota based on the trailhead not the destination
So it doesn't matter where you are going- just where you start.

True, sort of. There are roughly 20 reservable slots per day from Happy Isles. When you apply for one, you have to choose between Little Yosemite Valley, Illiouette or Sunrise/Merced Lake thru pass. Each option determines where you must camp on your first night and each option has a portion of the reservable spots allocated to it. After the first night, you are free. For JMTers, the Sunrise thru-pass is ideal, with LYV being pretty good too. Illilouette means you have to spend your first night at least 1.5 miles off the JMT in the wrong direction. It's okay, but not ideal. My applications have included all three of these options as my 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices respectively, but they've all been booked. That's okay though. I'll keep at it.

Bob Burd
Forum Moderator

by Bob Burd » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:12 am

Why not start from Mono Meadows? Generally easy to get permits from there and can rejoin the JMT at the top of Nevada Falls.

fedak

by fedak » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:07 am

> When you apply for one, you have to choose between Little Yosemite Valley, Illiouette or Sunrise/Merced Lake thru pass

A yeah you are right- I forgot that they Happy Isles is the exception to their general rule and they consider the 1st night destination out of that one
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://www.fedak.net/backcountry.html

Trawinski

by Trawinski » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:18 pm

Bob Burd wrote:Why not start from Mono Meadows? Generally easy to get permits from there and can rejoin the JMT at the top of Nevada Falls.

I would absolutely do that. In fact, I would happily start at Tuolumne and forgo the Valley circus all together. My girlfriend, however, is a purist and is being stubborn about it. Hell, she'll probably make us backtrack uphill after leaving Muir Trail Ranch, just so we don't miss like a 1 mile stretch of relatively un-noteworthy JMT.

asmrz

by asmrz » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:24 pm

I like your GF already...

Nothing beats starting at the start and finishing at the finish...The hike from Happy Isles past Half Dome is not that bad either. After you pass the crowds heading for Half Dome, everything goes quiet and the scenery is great all the way to the Meadows.

Just get the permit...

BTW When you get the permit, it allows you to stay at the hikers CG close to the Stables Area the night before your trip. It is very quiet there right by the river and only people holding valid wilderness permits are allowed to use the CG. No noise, no problems. Just FYI
Last edited by asmrz on Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

no avatar
JD

by JD » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:56 pm

SEKI also uses fax or mail (no phone calls) for wilderness permit reservations. You're 100% right, it is old fashioned.

It won't help you win the daily lottery but you'll stand a better chance of getting your fax to work if you attempt late at night. For Yosemite it just has to be sent sometime after 5pm the day before. I've never had a problem getting one through.

I wonder how many permit requests they get for a summer JMT trip each day?

Return to California