LA Metro Question

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Alan Ellis

LA Metro Question

by Alan Ellis » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:05 am

We're going to J-Tree in April and flying into LAX. We're taking the Green/Blue rail line to Long Beach during the day. Is the Metro safe for tourists? The Blue line goes through Compton so I was wondering if it was safe for Okie tourists. Thanks.

AE

johnm

by johnm » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:09 am

You should be fine, just stay on the lines and in the stations.

FYI the Green Line does not extend into the airport. You will need to catch a free airport shuttle to the Green Line Aviation/I-105 Station. This link http://www.westworld.com/~elson/larail/green.html states: From LAX take the "LAX Shuttle" buses with the headsign reading "G: Metro Green Line Aviation Station."

I have never taken the shuttle before but it looks easy enough. Have fun in April!

As far as the Metro keep your eyes peeled for the elusive LA cougars :wink:

Alan Ellis

by Alan Ellis » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:18 am

John, I saw on the Metro site about the free shuttle but thanks for the headsign info. Big help.
Taco, Thanks for the advice. Luckily, I lived in Lakewood back in 1990 so I'm a little familiar with the area and the people. But a lot changes in 20 years so I was curious.

Taking the Metro rail will save us a bunch in cab fare to the Port of LA. We're doing a 7-day cruise before heading out to J-tree.

Thanks again for the advice/help.

AE

Ze

by Ze » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:36 am

just don't look anyone in the eye

:P

kidding

SJ

Re: LA Metro Question

by SJ » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:27 pm

Ahahaha, LA isn't a third world country, you'll be fine taking the blue line. You do know how to use Mace right?

Alan Ellis wrote:We're going to J-Tree in April and flying into LAX. We're taking the Green/Blue rail line to Long Beach during the day. Is the Metro safe for tourists? The Blue line goes through Compton so I was wondering if it was safe for Okie tourists. Thanks.

AE

bajaandy

Re: LA Metro Question

by bajaandy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:09 pm

SJ wrote:You do know how to use Mace right?

For the infamous LA cougars?

Sean Kenney

by Sean Kenney » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:01 pm

religious peeps might try to sell you candy. :shock:

Otherwise you should be fine. I've seen a number of European tourist on the trains...backpacks and such. I've hauled my dive gear and pack down to LB before on the train and have had no trouble.

Enjoy.

Return to California