light, semi-waterproof gloves

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
bearbreeder

Re: light, semi-waterproof gloves

by bearbreeder » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:50 am

nitrate work gloves ... less than $10 per pair ... fits like a second skin, and the coating is grippy enough to easily rock climb in them

the downside is that it acts as a vbl for the palm ... so intense activities will sweat out the lining a bit ... but no worse than soaked gloves ... but it does keep you warmer

buy em at any hardware store ... theyre durable as well especially the kevlar versions ... they have to be for work gloves ...

fancy names dont always mean better ... (i do have plenty of OR, rab and BD gloves)

looks something like this

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:58 am

I've used these for caving and canyoneering; they get really, really cold, and water soaks readily through the backs. My friends love them on the local sandstone and limestone, but I'd rather use nothing than use these in cold weather.

no avatar
bearbreeder

by bearbreeder » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:04 am

then i suspect youll need to spend real money ... ive got OR stormtrackers with a leather palm and softshell back, as well as rab latoks which are all event, and have used alibi alpines ... they all get soaked eventually

youre probably looking at something thats totally seam sealed ... maybe something with an outdry membrane or one of the dead bird gloves? ... the downside is spending money on gloves that will wear out anyways

Joe White

by Joe White » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:21 am

Dow Williams wrote:
I do spray the backs of them.....Joe, when I ice climb in cold conditions, I actually take a pair per one to two pitches (depending how cold and wet I expect the climb to be), Will Gadd taught me that trick (staying dry>insulation). Actually weighs less than bringing heavier gloves and mitts. The common ground between dexterity and waterproofness creates the target we seek. In the alpine environments, two pair at all times....keeping one dry, letting one get wet and trashed and putting back on if faced with getting wet again. I find the use of chemical hand warmers (which can be bought in bulk at Costco now days) and two light pair of gloves with good feel, a better, lighter system then ever using expensive and/or bulky gloves or mitts. And I live with hands that have been frostbitten when I was young and thus quite sensitive (via leather gloves when I was a cowboy in the Midwest...don't think we even knew what Gore Tex was). Cheers.

That's helpful, Dow. Thanks mate!

no avatar
spiritualspatula

by spiritualspatula » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:40 am

Serius gloves have the worst placed seams I've ever seen and bug the hell out of me. If you're looking that route, just get some of the Manzella Windstopper silkweight gloves.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:05 pm

spiritualspatula wrote:Serius gloves have the worst placed seams I've ever seen and bug the hell out of me. If you're looking that route, just get some of the Manzella Windstopper silkweight gloves.

Thanks, saw those at REI also.

Previous

Return to Gear