light, semi-waterproof gloves

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
MoapaPk

light, semi-waterproof gloves

by MoapaPk » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:16 am

For years I've carried light polypro gloves liners, winter and summer, for "emergencies."

These gloves get wet very fast.

Is there a new technology for light gloves, which are reasonably warm, yet also warm when wet (or maybe less likely to wet through)? I don't want a miracle, just something better than the polypros. Thanks.

SKI

Re: light, semi-waterproof gloves

by SKI » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:38 am

These may be bigger than what youre looking for, but the OR Alibi's and their burly brother the Alpine Alibi's are sweet gloves resiliant to wetness. I like the Alibi's for ice climbing [read: articulation, water resiliance, warmth].

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/ali ... loves.html

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___94020

Also look at their "Extravert" gloves...

Im a big fan of OR outerwear.

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:39 am

SKI wrote:Im a big fan of OR outerwear.

OR's extravert and the simpler, lighter and cheaper original Vert are my choice of gloves to abuse in the alpine. Ski is correct, no one matches OR on gloves, gaiters, alpine accessories in general, for the price. I recommend you study their products and systems for your particular solution.

dskoon

by dskoon » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:54 am

Sounds like you might be looking for something like this:

http://www.rei.com/product/801377

Or these,

http://www.rei.com/product/801667

And maybe these guys:

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Men%27s ... lt,pd.html

I have the Rei pair, pretty decent, as are the MH. Tried on the Marmots' not long ago, and I think they might be the nicest of the three. All pretty good, though. Good on the waterproofness, decent on warmth,(I sometimes add a light liner), and definitely lightweight.
Hope that's of some help.

Joe White

by Joe White » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:19 am

Dow Williams wrote:

OR's extravert and the simpler, lighter and cheaper original Vert are my choice of gloves to abuse in the alpine. Ski is correct, no one matches OR on gloves, gaiters, alpine accessories in general, for the price. I recommend you study their products and systems for your particular solution.

I love the dexterity and feel of the leather palms...but didn't have the waterproofness I've had with rubber palms. WIth the leader palms...do you have to treat the material with something to aid water repellency?

Dow Williams

by Dow Williams » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:27 pm

Joe White wrote:
Dow Williams wrote:

I love the dexterity and feel of the leather palms...but didn't have the waterproofness I've had with rubber palms. WIth the leader palms...do you have to treat the material with something to aid water repellency?

I do spray the backs of them.....Joe, when I ice climb in cold conditions, I actually take a pair per one to two pitches (depending how cold and wet I expect the climb to be), Will Gadd taught me that trick (staying dry>insulation). Actually weighs less than bringing heavier gloves and mitts. The common ground between dexterity and waterproofness creates the target we seek. In the alpine environments, two pair at all times....keeping one dry, letting one get wet and trashed and putting back on if faced with getting wet again. I find the use of chemical hand warmers (which can be bought in bulk at Costco now days) and two light pair of gloves with good feel, a better, lighter system then ever using expensive and/or bulky gloves or mitts. And I live with hands that have been frostbitten when I was young and thus quite sensitive (via leather gloves when I was a cowboy in the Midwest...don't think we even knew what Gore Tex was). Cheers.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:37 pm

Thanks, I may check the local REI today.

drpw

by drpw » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:47 pm

I have the REI minimalists as well and use them in winter for going uphill but they do get wet very easily. They are great for keeping hands warm when dry but take forever to dry once they wet out (which is very quickly).

Snowslogger

by Snowslogger » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:07 pm

I really like the Manzella silkweight windstopper gloves for a lightweight glove for xc skiing, etc. Much less likely to get wet than polartec, etc. They're somewhat water resistant and warmer than you'd think, though in cold conditions I bring a pair of warmer gloves or mitts also.

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:23 pm

Dow Williams wrote:And I live with hands that have been frostbitten when I was young and thus quite sensitive (via leather gloves when I was a cowboy in the Midwest...don't think we even knew what Gore Tex was)

I can definitely relate Dow...unfortunately.

I gave up on polypro a long time ago, tried the Manzella windstoppers as liners for awhile, but they just weren't durable enough and now only see use in-bounds. Finally settled on the following as a light wind/water-resistant glove to serve multiple purposes. Seirus Hyperlite, but I do have to add some Freesole/Seamseal to the finger tips to protect them from velcro, this has really increased their longevity.

no avatar
spiritualspatula

by spiritualspatula » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:54 am

Another nod to the OR gloves- I really like the Stormtrackers. http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/m_s_stormtracker_gloves.html

I've definitely thought about picking up a pair of the alibi's too, but wasn't sure on the fit since I haven't found any to try on in person.

no avatar
spiritualspatula

by spiritualspatula » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:24 am

Alibis are on SAC right now.

jrc

by jrc » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:59 pm

The system I've been using for ice climbing for the last several years has been two pair of light weight softshell gloves with leather on palms and front of fingers. Stand out products for me have been REI one glove, Cloudveil ice flow and rayzar glove and OR vert glove. Of these, the REI one glove has really shined in being the lightest, most dexterous and cheapest. I can always find them on sale for under $30. I replace them every year or two.

I bring two pair of gloves. When one gets wet I put it inside my jacket as close to skin as possible and put on the dry pair. By the time that pair is wet and cold, I switch them out with the pair next to skin which are warm and mostly dry. Surprisingly, I dont have to switch them out very often. This is where I've been extremely impressed with the REI ONE glove. Climbing leashless helps a lot too.

Additionally, I carry a pair of mitts or bigger gloves. If my hands get cold at the belay, I throw these on over my softshell gloves to warm them back up (or better yet, keep them from getting cold in the first place).

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:36 pm

While the thread is giving others useful info, I would like to add some focus to my particular situation. I live in Las Vegas.

When I'm on serious snow, I take one or two pairs of serious glove/mittens.

However, I also always carry an emergency pair of light gloves, summer and winter, for windy/cold days that may be more like 25F to 45F; and then I rarely wear them for more than 15 minutes at a time. In these circumstances, I'm often burning a lot of calories in my legs and torso, but my hands are exposed; I may be wearing shorts at the same times as I wear such gloves. With luck, I just need to pull my hands out of the sleeve ends for occasional touches to rock or old snow.

I try to keep the gloves small enough that they will fit in the small pockets on my hooded windshirt and lightweight eVent jacket. In fact, I leave a pair in each garment, along with a lightweight earband or balaclava.

Since it is usually fairly dry out here, I used old polypro glove liners for years. But for some uses, these liners wet through very quickly -- e.g. when I was caught in a very sudden late-spring graupel storm at 11500'.

I looked at several options at REI, and noted some touted semi-waterproof membranes, thin fiberfill, and so on. The Serius hyperlight was among them; however the reviews were mixed. I'm not sure if the reviewers just had unrealistic expectations, or comments like "they never dry out" should be taken seriously.

Thanks.

dskoon

by dskoon » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:03 pm

Moapa,
I'd say that given your qualifications, ie, something lightweight, windproof, (and maybe waterproof), it shouldn't be too hard to find something that works for you. I have a few pair of the different gloves I mentioned in the links above, as well as some others have mentioned(such as the REi One glove-good glove, not sure they make it anymore). (Rei used gear sales! Gloves can be found on the cheap). The link you provided on those Serius would make me certainly question their durability over their waterproofness, which they don't claim to be, despite what the reviewers say.

As others have mentioned, some are waterproof, others only water resistant. On a wet hike, I will take 2 or maybe even three pairs(not running, though I still take a couple pair on a run-if I know it'll be wet), the last pair being super-lightweight pair of liners to stick in the other pairs for extra warmth. Point is, I hike often in the Gorge(Columbia River, that is), and it's often wet/cold. If they're not waterproof, which many of mine are not, they will eventually wet out, and then it's time to swap pairs. If it's not super wet out, the gloves I mentioned should/do work just fine, especially if it's only for the cold, wind, etc. you're protecting against. Better than plain Polartech/fleece Imo, due to their water resistance.
If I were looking again, and given my stock of gloves(many non-waterproof), I'd try the Marmot Precips. Tried them once in the store and they were very nice.
Hope that helps.

Next

Return to Gear