Marines stranded on Skyline Trail SJ

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
Cy Kaicener

Marines stranded on Skyline Trail SJ

by Cy Kaicener » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:38 am

RMRU were called out to rescue marines on the Skyline Trail
http://mtsanjacinto.info/viewtopic.php?t=1850

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:24 pm

Dehydrated....WTF?????

Edit: SIZE
Last edited by The Chief on Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Beefheart

by Captain Beefheart » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:16 pm

They only made it to 5300'? Sounds like they seriously underestimated the 10,000 plus vertical. I don't know how you do that.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:40 pm

If it was an official Marine hike, they probably had a ton of gear, heavy boots, and combat dress... but that seems like an odd place for an official hike. I do recall that the Marines used portions of the AT years ago, for official exercises.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:12 pm

2_climbaxes wrote:That's what happens when you head out without an Officer to lead the way.

Ahh...

Just confirmed the following with a buddy that is on the RMRU...

There were two booter Capt's and three 2nd LT's IN CHARGE!

NO SNCO's. Highest enlisted rank was a Cpl.

Appears that you 2_climbaxes, would make some outstanding "O" material with an attitude like that...
Last edited by The Chief on Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:19 pm

So was it an official exercise, or were they just taking an off-duty stroll? Somehow I have a hard time imagining 26 marines taking a "rest day" on that trail.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:32 pm

MoapaPk wrote:So was it an official exercise, or were they just taking an off-duty stroll? Somehow I have a hard time imagining 26 marines taking a "rest day" on that trail.

He couldn't "Officially" tell me whether it was an official gig or not. Appears it was some Reservist deal. I'll try and find out.

no avatar
JJ

by JJ » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:01 am

Correct me if I am wrong but 5 marines or army soldiers had to be pulled off of Mt. Massive on their way up to assist in the recue of the downed Blackhawk. They were carrying 50lb. packs and could not physically go any further. Outside of the 10th Mountain Division, I don't think these guys are conditioned for climbing mountains. I don't care how much running, workouts and weight lifting you do, it requires you actually climbing mountains with weight to pull these things off. Before anyone asks, yes I was in the Army.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:14 am

2_climbaxes wrote:
The Chief wrote:
2_climbaxes wrote:That's what happens when you head out without an Officer to lead the way.

Ahh...

Just confirmed the following with a buddy that is on the RMRU...

There were two booter Capt's and three 2nd LT's IN CHARGE!

NO SNCO's. Highest enlisted rank was a Cpl.

Appears that you 2_climbaxes, would make some outstanding "O" material with an attitude like that...

Yes, you are correct. It wouldn't have happened if I was there.

Apparently things aren't what they used to be in the Corps.

EDIT: Were you there, or is that second hand info?

- RTFP!

Talk about self absorbed chest beating and making outlandish claims....

"It wouldn't have happened if I was there."

Too bad for them, huh?

Deb

by Deb » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:48 am

If it was a reserve unit, you know damn well those kids come from all walks of life 26 days out of a month. One freaky weekend of "training" isn't going to get the altitude in their veins or instill hydration when most of them are probably sitting up 'til 3AM drinking assloads of cheap beer.
Shame on the Officers for not having a SNCO in the mix to really take care of those troops! And as far as what's-his-face degrading today's Corps - F U! I lead some ridiculously talented "kids" in Iraq and I'd walk thru fire with them! One ramshackle group, does not the Corps make.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:15 am

Ignore the condenscending wanna-be (2 Axes) Deb, ignore him.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:37 am

"NO SNCO's"

Just five BOOTER (possibly Reservists) Officer's, leading the way.

My money says that had they had an Active Duty SNCO or two , Gunny or above, within this training platoon, this definitely would not have happened. Guaranteed.

The experienced SNCO's, would not have allowed the situ to have gotten to the point that it had which in turn required the assistance of the RMRU.

Interesting how these young Marines were allowed to operate in that area without first doing their gig up here at the Mountain Warfare Ctr @ Pickle Meadows.

Had to have been Reservists. An experienced AD Marine CnC would have never allowed this situ to get this carried away.

I will make a call to my ex SERE Inst Sgt Major buddy at Pickle Meadows tomorrow and see what he knows. Will post if I get any news from him.

ridgeline

by ridgeline » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:20 pm

Obviously a wise decision was made to get bailed out before matters became worse. If I know my brothers and sisters in the Corps, they will come back as awesome mountaineers, with knowledge to use in a real situation far from our local mountains.
Last edited by ridgeline on Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deb

by Deb » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:45 pm

2_climbaxes wrote:
Deb wrote:If it was a reserve unit, you know damn well those kids come from all walks of life 26 days out of a month. One freaky weekend of "training" isn't going to get the altitude in their veins or instill hydration when most of them are probably sitting up 'til 3AM drinking assloads of cheap beer.
Shame on the Officers for not having a SNCO in the mix to really take care of those troops! And as far as what's-his-face degrading today's Corps - F U! I lead some ridiculously talented "kids" in Iraq and I'd walk thru fire with them! One ramshackle group, does not the Corps make.

Deb, point taken and I apologize for any offense to you.

I was responding to Chief's insult to The Corps which he has now edited out. I was not degrading today's Corps, that other guy was. And I would walk through fire with them, or FOR them, too.

And I agree, shame on the Officers for not taking care of those troops by what ever means necessary. As Chief eloquently said, "Dehydration, WTF?'

We all know the importance of hydration and planning. Both were drilled into my thick skull 21 years ago.

It looks like both were overlooked here. It's bad enough PR when climbers have to berescued, but it looks even worse to the general public when those in uniform need to be rescued and it shouldn't have happened.

Noted. I retract my "F U" :wink:

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:02 pm

Just got off the phone with my old SERE Sgt Major Shipmate up the road at Pickle Meadows.

Appears it was a Reserve Company from the So Cal area on a multi-day Resistance Training evolution in preparation for all things, their upcoming scheduled SERE Class this December, at Warner Springs. He doesn't know the complete story yet. But the incident is under full investigation.

He said he'll call me and let me know the skinny when he gets some "Official" word.

What can you find out Deb. Be interesting to see what actually happened.

Next

Return to California