MEC brand clothing vs Patagonia/Arcteryx etc

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.
no avatar
saltland

MEC brand clothing vs Patagonia/Arcteryx etc

by saltland » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:12 pm

I was reading the Cold Thistle blog on the subject of layering.Dane mentions the canadian company MEC and the lower cost of their products...less then 1/2 the cost of Patagonia,Arcteryx and others.How does their products compare?Why the huge price gap?I've always felt you get what you pay for and at least with the 2 companies I mentioned I've always been pleased but at that level of savings I may need to reconsider.
Thanks,
Scott

no avatar
GuyNC

Re: MEC brand clothing vs Patagonia/Arcteryx etc

by GuyNC » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:57 pm

MEC is a consumer co-op similar to REI in the US. In fact, the people who started MEC copied the concept from REI. I have not recently owned MEC branded clothing or gear but my guess is it would be similar to the REI branded stuff. Cost savings are due to less marketing and low mark-ups.

The following user would like to thank GuyNC for this post
saltland

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:44 pm

MEC is legit, way better than REI. The reason for the price difference is there is no middle man. MEC makes it and then sells it. The idea of 'you get what you pay for' is not borne out in outdoor clothing. Does an Arc'Teryx jacket keep you 5 times drier than a Marmot Precip? Does it last 5 times longer? Patagonia, BTW, has gone down hill in quality recently.

Tonka

by Tonka » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:30 pm

Polyester is polyester as is wool and other forms of fabrics. Of coarse there can be some quality differences as EB says what are those differences worth. I've purchased poly long johns at Marshalls or TJ Max.

beean

by beean » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:24 am

I've never used any REI gear but I do have plenty of MEC stuff. Gloves, pants, base layers, bits and bobs.

It's decent quality gear at a good price with a great warranty. Their packs are very popular amongst the weekend warrior crowd here.

Return to Gear