Merced

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
kiwiw

by kiwiw » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:22 am

yeah, UC boulder is 40k a year...

kiwiw

by kiwiw » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:51 am

Is there a college in Bishop?
deep springs doesn't count, I'm not a fucking genius, and I like seeing women once in a while....

Greg Enright

by Greg Enright » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:52 am

Cerro Coso has campuses in Mammoth, Bishop and Ridgecrest. There are more classes offered at the Bishop campus, but there is realtime video that allows students in Mammoth to take classes in Bishop. Mammoth has student housing, Bishop does not.

Cerro Coso is only a two year school, but you can get a good education if you apply yourself.

kevin trieu

by kevin trieu » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:44 am

kiwiw wrote:I want to be a guide (maybe) mostly I want to live out of my car and climb all the time but my parents say I won't amount to anything doing this, I say bullshit, I'll climb a lot.
anyway, I want to check schools.

your parents are right. they are always right. you are young and dumb. get into a good school. get a degree or two. work a few years, save some money then dirtbag for a few years. that's what i have done. never underestimate the power of a college degree. living out of your car isn't as romantic or cool as other dirtbags make it out to be. chicks do not dig stinky dirtbags that can't buy them a decent dinner.

jonesa37

by jonesa37 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:21 am

dude i go to western, I am in my last quarter and I totally feel you on wanting to live out of your car and climb! Thats what I am doing come march. Anyways I would totally recommend western, they have a rec program which helps prepare you for becoming a guide or owning a guide service or outdoor ed. plus we have the outdoor center which employs western students to guide trips on baker, to lilloet, vantage, red rocks, squamish, you name it. Kyaking is pretty rad here to the noosack is a pretty good river. Baker sweet backcountry skiing. oh aai is here in town also. Anyways school blows but you can get out enough to forget it plus finals weeks for the rec majors require planning and partaking in a huge rafting trip and other shit instead of taking test like myself in geology (fing jealous). Oh and living situation I live in someones closet which costs me nothing so I can spend my money on gear. I have buddies that live in their trucks and are loving it. So what it boils down to is you should consider western for sure!

kiwiw

by kiwiw » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:10 pm

yeah, western is super cheap, I could go there for practically free. I just would really like to be able to climb/kayak after class. how far away is Clearwater creek from campus? I've heard it's like 1 mile long but has 25 class V's it sounds frickin sweet! what about cragging around western? how far away is mt. erie? and how much climbing is there? I want to check out that bishop school, because I was there this summer and you have all the climbing you could ever accomplish in a lifetime within a 20 min. drive.

jonesa37

by jonesa37 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:05 am

Cragging around the ham is decent right next to campus there is sehome hill with some quality problems then there is larabee about 15 min away with more bouldering, Squamish is an hour and a half away as well as index, Eire is about 45 min away. The climbing is there for sure

Mountain_girl

by Mountain_girl » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:48 am

Hi,
I am studying at UC Merced, it's not as bad as it seems :) Tiny town but very cheap and peaceful and even though centrally isolated, u get in 1.5-2h to any cool area u want - Yosemite, Coast, SF, another area close by to climb is Pinnacles NP. Closest indoor climbing options are in Modesto (Stonehenge) 30min away and Fresno 40min away. If you love the Sierra, Merced is a good "camping" place :) Let me know if u decide to come, maybe I will still be here...
Gosia

kiwiw

by kiwiw » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:05 am

cool, it's nice to get the viewpoint of someone who's actually at the college.
I'm a junior in HS, so fall 2011 at the earliest, but most likely I'll enroll for fall 2012. Climbing at index this weekend just reaffirmed my hatred for school.

Dave Daly

by Dave Daly » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:55 am

Kiwi-fruity pie -

Stay far away from our hidden gems! Go to the east side crags, where everyone raises a glass of grog over them. In fact, Chief will set you straight....fact is, he'll "guide" you out there. :lol: :lol: :lol:

(just a friendly teasing.....good luck in all you do, school or not)

PreviousNext

Return to California