Mid West Meetups?

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Heartland of the America. Hey, this includes Arkansas. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Midwest US Climbing Partners section.
Yeti

Mid West Meetups?

by Yeti » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:51 pm

I think the Mid West is the largest domestic region covered by the Summitpost forum system, but that's no reason for us all to be strangers.

Pickings aren't entirely slim, there are gobs of places that groups of us could meet and still be interested. So we haven't got mountain ranges, why should that stop us? 8)

mstender

by mstender » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:46 pm

Hi all, I have just actually relocated to Milwaukee and I am looking for hiking partners. Just let me know if you are interested.

woodsxc

Re: Mid West Meetups?

by woodsxc » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:41 pm

Yeti wrote:I think the Mid West is the largest domestic region covered by the Summitpost forum system, but that's no reason for us all to be strangers.

Pickings aren't entirely slim, there are gobs of places that groups of us could meet and still be interested. So we haven't got mountain ranges, why should that stop us? 8)

If we wanted to do a whole Midwest meet up (which would be really cool), my vote is for Devil's Lake. It's got good hiking, top notch climbing, and some pretty good paddling. There are some really nice group campsites with lots of capacity and easy access to trails. If someone's a member, I think we can use the
CMC's site.

By doing some very inventive (read "probably not that accurate, but creative") mathematics involving statistics, calculus, algebra, and driving times from Google Earth, I calculated average drive times to Baraboo. I did it assuming that the people who actively post in the forum show up. For the Illinios, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan people, it'll average 3 hours 20 minutes. However, if the Ohio guys show up, it'll average 4.5 hours for everybody. I just did those states since they have the most registered users and most people active in the forum.

I checked the numbers for Turkey Run SP in Indiana. It's a lot closer for the Ohio people, but further for the rest of us. IL, WI, MN, and MI average is 5 hours. Including Ohio, its 4 hours 50 minutes. I think northern Indiana is probably the most central location, but Devil's Lake is pretty awesome and closest for the greatest number of people.

That's my .02

dwhike

by dwhike » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:34 am

I'm down for whatever, given plenty of warning. Never been to Devils Lake but looks awesome, so I'd second that suggestion. It'd be great to see some of the faces behind the text! :shock:

outofstep80

by outofstep80 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:23 am

Sounds like fun. Any excuse to get to the lake, do some climbing. It would definitely be nice to meet some new people. We should get an idea for dates. It would be really cool if we could do any month other than June, I'm having a kid. September is a nice time of year, but that's a ways out. I'm down for whenever. Just not June. Or July 18-25th, going to Colorodo. Anyone have a preference?

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:03 am

woodsxc wrote:I checked the numbers for Turkey Run SP in Indiana. It's a lot closer for the Ohio people, but further for the rest of us. IL, WI, MN, and MI average is 5 hours. Including Ohio, its 4 hours 50 minutes. I think northern Indiana is probably the most central location, but Devil's Lake is pretty awesome and closest for the greatest number of people.

While it would be really convenient for me if everyone came to northern Indiana, I wouldn't vote for that option myself.

There appears to be enough interest for an outing so someone just has to bite the bullet and decide where and when it's going to be. If the Devil's Lake you are talking about is the one in Baraboo, WI that looks like a pretty cool option. There is no way we are going to be able to please everyone and work within everyone's schedule. I am clear out of vacation days, so whatever is planned I'm going to have to arrive late on a Friday night, enjoy Saturday, early Sunday and then drive home. That assumes that fits into whatever schedule is set.

For me, May, June and July are sketchy, and early to mid-August is out. Late August thru the end of September may work depending on what comes up in my life.

I would love to be able to make an event like this, but if timing doesn't work out I'll just have to hit the SP Midwest Get Together in 2010.

Holsti97

by Holsti97 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:49 am

I would be in for Devil's Lake. I've never been there, but it sounds like a good place for a SP gathering. Who is organizing this event?

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:52 am

Devil's Lake it is. Any time from June through mid August works for me.

MarkDidier

by MarkDidier » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:16 am

woodsxc wrote:Devil's Lake it is. Any time from June through mid August works for me.

Thanks for taking charge on this. As I said I can only do the very short weekend thing, which limits me to the weekends of June 6 or 13 or July 11 or 18. Outside of that I either have something already scheduled or would interfere with some family stuff. If those don't end up working for the group, no problem, I'll try for 2010.

Mark

outofstep80

by outofstep80 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:36 pm

I think I could make July 11th work. But for me the later the better.

Yeti

by Yeti » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:09 pm

woodsxc wrote:By doing some very inventive (read "probably not that accurate, but creative") mathematics involving statistics, calculus, algebra, and driving times from Google Earth, I calculated average drive times to Baraboo.

Change your screen name to "Captain Logisitics". :)
I left the thread for a day and it all got taken care of, I love the internets. lol Devils Lake looks like an outstanding venue.

I have many weekends already booked, and a week-long vacation in August. For most of us, the further out, the better, because we've got to sort our lives a bit to set aside the time. I could probably swing a long weekend in June-July, but would probably be better off if it were scheduled after the Dog Days.

What is the scenery made of up there? Limestone? Sandstone?

Alpinist

by Alpinist » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:24 pm

Great idea!

July 11 or 18 are about the only weekends I can make it until Sept, but it gets pretty hot up there that time of year. The CMC doesn't climb duing July because of that, which will be both good and bad. Good because there won't be many people at their campground. Its bad because non members can attend CMC outings - but they can not use the campground during the non-outing weekends unless accompanied by a member. I am member, but I'm not sure if there are any rules that limit the number of guests per member. I'll find out and post an update here. (There's a $10 fee per person per weekend for using the campground.)

That shouldn't stop us from going there though. If we can't use the CMC campground, we can use the public campground. It is first come first served though.

The rock at DL is limestone.

outofstep80

by outofstep80 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:58 pm

Everyone seems pretty buisy in summer. Lets do the weekend after labor day. September 12 and 13th area. Things mellow out a little that time of year. It's a lot less buisy, nice days, cool nights. Good time of the year. Just throwing it out there. I'll try to make whatever work though. Even if I can only make it for a day.

mstender

by mstender » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:10 pm

I'll be up for Devil's Lake too. I don't mind the date. Anytime is fine for me. So you guys just figure it out and I'll come along.

woodsxc

by woodsxc » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:07 pm

I go back to Maine in August, so September is out for me.

It sounds like July 11 will work for a decent number of us, so let's shoot for that weekend. Alpinist, can you call up the CMC and see if anyone else wants their site for that weekend?

Next

Return to Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)