Mount Everest-Need Advice

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
rhyang

Re: lame

by rhyang » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:38 pm

Art Vandalay

by Art Vandalay » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:58 pm

Best....thread....EVER!

I LOVE that picture of you in the pink shirt on your profile Mel! PIMPIN' AINT EASY!

Good luck on Everest this summer bro

brianhughes

by brianhughes » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:07 am

I'm still waiting for someone to 'fess up to starting this one. Must of been one of Huskers fan club.

http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=29487

Mel_Torino

by Mel_Torino » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:51 am

Hulio wrote:
What could be funnier than if there was some truthful intentions to this discussion... I want to believe!

Think positive thoughts. There is no "I" in team.
Last edited by Mel_Torino on Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

McCannster

by McCannster » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:58 am

Mel_Torino wrote: In the first week of May we climbed Mammoth Mountain as one of my short term goals before the big one. FYI Mammoth is over 12,000 feet.

I don't know if anybody has touched up on this, but Mammoth is only 11,053 ft.

Wandering Sole Images

by Wandering Sole Images » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:29 am

Mel_Torino wrote:
Hulio wrote:
What could be funnier than if there was some truthful intentions to this discussion... I want to believe!

Think positive thoughts. There is no "I" in team.

No, but there is in "win" :D

Thanks for the entertainment...

Bob Sihler
Forum Moderator

by Bob Sihler » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:18 am

Why is anyone taking this thread seriously? If the originator is not a troll, as I think he is (and getting a good laugh at it), let him climb according to his plans-- better to get him and his out of the gene pool.

Blair

by Blair » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:16 am

thank you to all for the entertainment this thread has given me.

And yes, my vote is casted for Troll of the year. Hell, with some of the shit this guy is coming up with, TROLL OF THE CENTURY!!!

Keep training in Trabuco Canyon. Good place for crevasse and avalanche rescue.... :roll:

dpk

Re: Mount Everest-Need Advice

by dpk » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:58 am

Mel_Torino wrote:Little help here.

What gear will I need? (Money is no obstacle)

Glad to hear $ is no prob - I'll PM 'my' gear list to you - don't skimp and buy me only the best!

P.S. send pix from the top pleeeeez :o

TorstenW

by TorstenW » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:03 am

Mel, live your dreams if you have the time. Just don't underestimate any part of them, it may have serious consequences you never thought possible...

no avatar
UncleBob

Learn

by UncleBob » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:20 am

Mel,

I'll take it at face value that you are sincere about your request.

The best advice I can give you is to talk to people who have actually done it. Guided and unguided.
See the kind of experience and skills they brought to the table. Look at the resumes of people who summited, and the resumes of people who died trying. See for yourself what is the minimum requirement for survival, let alone success.

you can find lists of people who summited at http://www.adventurestats.com/tables/allesum.htm
and http://www.mounteverest.net/

Plan intermediate goals. If you can't summit Rainier in winter via an easy route like disapointment cleaver, then perhaps you're not ready for everest.

Think about the meaning of "at all costs" on a big mountain.

Are you prepared to leave someone to die to ensure your summit bid ?
Are you prepared to put the lives of your son and your wife at risk to ensure your summit bid?
Are you prepared to risk the lives of others that would come to your aid should you be in difficulty?

Sadly, all of these things have happened on the mountain, if sacrificing the lives of others for your benefit is acceptable. perhaps you should recondsider the nobility of your motives.

You seem to be a clever person. A big mountain isn't something that you can beat down with force of will alone. You can climb it, if it lets you, but you must know how to listen and work with the mountain, not against it.

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:37 am

If $$$ are no problem can we please get live video feed from a helmet cam during Mel's epic ascent? PRETTY PLEASE :!:

no avatar
climberska

by climberska » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:13 am

Mel,

Sorry to make you think I was dishonest with my offer to be your guide. On the contrary, I was absolutely honest: I told you what I would charge to hire and I freely admitted that you could find a better deal pretty easily. BUT you sounded like you REALLY wanted to go to the summit and you said you were "a man of considerable means". SO, I took you at your word and made my offer. I WAS greedy, but not dishonest.

For training, I'd try to do some of the following climbs prior to the Everest trip. You can do them ALL before the climbing season next March. Maybe some of the other folks on this site can suggest others that you could do before tackling Everest. Here they are:

This summer and/or coming fall: Mt. Whitney and Mexico Volcanoes (go with a commercial guide)
Also this summer: Mt. Rainier in Washington (with a commercial guide service)

Also this summer: Take a basic climbing class that includes crevasse rescue with a commercial guide service. Best bet will be in Washington state.

Also: Ecuador Volcanoes
In late December: Aconcagua

Then in late January, prior to Everest, do a one week backpacking trip in Yellowstone.

After you've done all that you'll likely have some of the basics under your belt and will, with the assistance of a commercial guide, have a chance at Everest.

That's my advice, and for you, it's free; a price that "a man of considerable means" should easily be able to handle.

Good luck and keep us up to date on your progress.

Clydascope

by Clydascope » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:04 pm

Mel admitted it was a hoax at one point, but...

Anyone ever read "Four Against Everest?"

http://www.4everest.org/sayre/1962.html

PreviousNext

Return to General