Mt.Williamson Now Open Year Round!

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.
mrchad9

Re: Mt.Williamson Now Open Year Round!

by mrchad9 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:29 am

Pete... I thought we were doing Cone Peak? Still on for early 2011?

mountainvoodoo

by mountainvoodoo » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:15 am

"1000excuses" So true.

mrchad9

by mrchad9 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:25 am

1000Pks wrote:
mrchad9 wrote:Pete... I thought we were doing Cone Peak? Still on for early 2011?

Never saw that you ever agreed, so I did it for my 3X last weekend.

I'd never climb anything if I had to wait for anybody from SP to join me!

Oh really???

mrchad9 wrote:Pete, I will meet up if you want. You will see what I look like when we meet up in person, but not fixing up my hair for a video chat. I have only done a video chat a couple times, and the topic of conversation that I require is not one that either of us would be comfortable discussing between us.

And no more going on and on about how you are old and slow, or you think I do not have the experience and skills to keep up with you in spite of it all. Cone Peak is hardly an outing where such a thing should be of great concern. We are both capable enough for a 3 mile hike so no sense throwing random non-issues into the discussion.

mrchad9 wrote:You have my email and cell number. We can discuss in Jan/Feb when there might be a dusting of snow up there- better for your photos.

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:43 am

1000Pks wrote:Can we ever have a holiday without SP sickness?

Can we ever have a Thread without Pete's sickness?

Go away and fuck up some other thread with your derelict bullshit...go!

You are just like my neighbors spoiled ass dog, shitting wherever it wishes. Until this morning......

The following user would like to thank The Chief for this post
fedak, mrchad9

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:21 am

NO Pete!

The OP just doesn't like you period.... regardless of climb or no climb.

You shit on every thread you post on, every damn one.

Go away!

The following user would like to thank The Chief for this post
fedak, WML

granjero

by granjero » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:21 am

Vitaliy M wrote:It averages from 40 to 55 degrees

Definitely not. 35deg with a climbers right variation of maybe 600 vertical feet that is 45deg tops. Bring a snowboard or skis and it becomes a fantastically fun run, with plenty of other fun activities to be had in the neighborhood, not to mention views galore. Why not go for a new mixed route up the direct NE face???

As for George Creek Trail, I'll have to go up it once this winter to enjoy it in full conditions before we build the most excellent mountain bike ride in Eastern California :D

The following user would like to thank granjero for this post
Princess Buttercup, WML

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:47 pm

Received the final word last night in an email....

"Rick - What I found out is that the old order had a sunset date on it and rather than needing to rescind it, the Inyo NF choose to let it expire and to no longer continue the order - thus no "rescind order". I have attached the news release from September that should clarify. If you have any further questions I might suggest contacting Margaret Wood at 876-6227 or our Wildlife Biologist Lee Ann Murphy at 873-2544"

John Louth,
Bristlecone Pine Forest Manager
Inyo National Forest
798 North Main, Bishop, CA 93514

760-873-2514
jlouth@fs.fed.us

I have an email in to Margaret thanking her for allowing this to happen.

As far as the trail goes, it will need to be done for erosion purposes. It will also show good form to the USFS that we are concerned about any enviro issues that will arise from multiple trails. As was the issue on the NFLP trail.

A-Lex

by A-Lex » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:59 pm

Thanks for your work Chief!

Why not go for a new mixed route up the direct NE face???

Yeah I've been thinking that same thing!

WML

by WML » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:50 pm

Vitaliy M wrote:
granjero wrote:
Vitaliy M wrote:It averages from 40 to 55 degrees

Definitely not. 35deg with a climbers right variation of maybe 600 vertical feet that is 45deg tops. Bring a snowboard or skis and it becomes a fantastically fun run, with plenty of other fun activities to be had in the neighborhood, not to mention views galore. Why not go for a new mixed route up the direct NE face???

As for George Creek Trail, I'll have to go up it once this winter to enjoy it in full conditions before we build the most excellent mountain bike ride in Eastern California :D

It could be different depending on the snow pack..but this is not the best news..
Mixed route up NE face? link or TR available?

It wouldn't be a new route if it had a link or TR available. Adventure is awesome!

granjero

by granjero » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:02 pm

WML wrote:
Vitaliy M wrote:
It could be different depending on the snow pack..but this is not the best news..

It wouldn't be a new route if it had a link or TR available. Adventure is awesome!

Oh contraire my feathered friends! :P
Just repeat this in the winter for FWA! These guys pull down hard!
http://pullharder.org/2009/09/12/new-route-on-the-north-face-of-mt-langley-horizontal-thought-movement-iv-5-8/

Look at the possibilities on that face. OMG LOL!

And about snow levels, year to year variability will not dramatically change the slope of a giant scree gully, save for the top out perhaps. Its pretty much always going to be 30-35deg. Now the upper variation on the other hand, which is narrower and much steeper, the conditions there will be far more related to the given snow/wind year and could be mixed rock ice snow, steep snow, or nothing at all!

WML

by WML » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:15 pm

granjero wrote:
WML wrote:
Vitaliy M wrote:

http://pullharder.org/2009/09/12/new-route-on-the-north-face-of-mt-langley-horizontal-thought-movement-iv-5-8/

And about snow levels, year to year variability will not dramatically change the slope of a giant scree gully, save for the top out perhaps. Its pretty much always going to be 30-35deg. Now the upper variation on the other hand, which is narrower and much steeper, the conditions there will be far more related to the given snow/wind year and could be mixed rock ice snow, steep snow, or nothing at all!

Ah, indeed, the pictures tell of potential, potential, potential!

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:53 pm

granjero wrote:

WML wrote:Ah, indeed, the pictures tell of potential, potential, potential!

The South Face Area has far better potential stuff on it. But then again, ya gotta be a 5.10+ or better climber to get off the ground on most of those potential lines of 3-10 pitches 5.10-5.11c (3 Completed and 2 WIP's)....
Last edited by The Chief on Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:56 pm

Vitaliy M wrote:But we will see...30-55 is nothing too special.

All depends on the conditions and your method of descent

96avs01

by 96avs01 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:12 pm

granjero wrote:And about snow levels, year to year variability will not dramatically change the slope of a giant scree gully, save for the top out perhaps. Its pretty much always going to be 30-35deg. Now the upper variation on the other hand, which is narrower and much steeper, the conditions there will be far more related to the given snow/wind year and could be mixed rock ice snow, steep snow, or nothing at all!

Its been a couple years since I was there, but I felt it was closer to sustained 35-40 than 30-35, but the discrepancy is moot (and I didn't actually break out the inclinometer). Cheers

no avatar
The Chief

by The Chief » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:25 pm

Vitaliy M wrote:Nice pics Chief, whose did you use this time? : )

Mine...

If you're lucky, maybe we will take you along one day, that if you can make it up ( 60 lb loads min) to most of our many SS's and you can take pic's of us on route. Cus you most certainly will not be able to join us on route. You assuredly are not capable of making the first move to even get off the deck for most if not all of our routes. 5.10+ min.

PreviousNext

Return to California