new climber - wanted to say hi!

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
no avatar
BudLizard

new climber - wanted to say hi!

by BudLizard » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:30 am

Hello, everyone!

I wanted to introduce myself to this forum since I'll be here reading quiet often haha

I'm Mike. Trying to get started in this sport and was wondering if you guys had any tips on where to start?

I was thinking Mt. Olympus in WA? Mountainmadness has a 5 day climb. I've been doing a combo of biking/stair master/jogging(depends on the weather).. any advice on if I'm doing it right or totally off base?

Thanks again and hope to meet some of you on a few mountains here and there.

Cheers from Maryland,

Mike

ExcitableBoy

Re: new climber - wanted to say hi!

by ExcitableBoy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:15 am

Welcome. Washington state is a great place to learn to climb, but I would recommend a different mountain. Mt Olympus is a very long walk, you'll spend three days of that course walking to and from the mountain. Mt Baker is a better choice. Mountain Madness runs fine courses, also look into Alpine Ascents International and American Alpine Institute's offerings. They all offer mountaineering courses in Washington. As long as you are spending the money to travel out here, I would recommend taking a longer course which includes more skills. It will be more expensive but you will learn a lot.

As for training, I would spend some time do some research into a good program. BodyResults.com has a lot of climbing specific training exercises and information. Also, peruse the technique/training forum. Lots of information and answers to similar questions.

no avatar
whitestone1

by whitestone1 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:15 am

Hey BudLizard..
Same here, I have also very first step into this climbing world.. And want to get really good techniques and tips from you guys.. I hope you guys would like to make your best time and experience with me..

reboyles

by reboyles » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:23 pm

Welcome to the forum! No one has mentioned this yet but as I was first told a long time ago, get a copy of Freedom of The Hills (The Mountaineers). It's no substitute for actual experience but there's no such thing as having too much knowledge in this sport. And I agree, Baker with a guide would be a good place to get some real hands-on alpine experience. Olympus is a nice prize but Baker is easier to get to and a close second to Rainier when it comes to glacier travel.

As for training, I know there's a ton of recommendations out there but all I ever do is to walk and hill hike to train. Some might question this method but my secret is that I walk every single day, rain or shine. I walk around 15-25 miles per week, 360 days of the year and prior to a climb I'll kick the mileage up and add hill hiking to get my legs used to the stretching that occurs on steep hills. All you need is a good pair of walking or hiking shoes to get started. Most of the time I go right from my house so there's no need to get in a car and drive anywhere or schedule a workout at a gym with special equipment. Granted, if you're training for 5.10 rock climbing or marathon like alpine climbs you will want to change your routine to get more specific but that can come later when you decide how far you want to go in the sport. I'm 60, at my high school weight and I can still cover over 20 miles in one day at altitude so I know my method works for me.

Bob

The following user would like to thank reboyles for this post
WyomingSummits

no avatar
BudLizard

by BudLizard » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:47 am

Thanks everyone for your input.

Decided to take the 8 day intro course on Rainier that Alpine Ascents offers. Figured that'd open up more doors for me in the future. Already ordered my copy of Freedom of The Hills.. can't wait to read it.

Cheers guys,

Mike

Grampahawk

by Grampahawk » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:43 pm

You can post your plans in "plans and partners". Just let people know your skill level and what you'd like to do. I've found a lot of good partners there. Once you've taken the mountaineering course you'll be in good shape to do other mountains in the Cascades and Olympics. Baker is good choice, as already mentioned. Mt hood is an easy one also. No rope skills needed but it's a fun day.

Return to General