It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 3:13 am

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

National Forest mobile radio sites

While climbing Mount Warren a couple of weeks ago, I came across a recently-installed mobile radio site (https://photos.app.goo.gl/3HQp5eHP3PwAgeXBA). The site can be seen from a great distance and is located in a wilderness area, so it got me wondering about the process followed by the National Forest to choose sites. Are they required to open the discussion for public comment? How do do the mobile sites square with the ban on fixed anchors in wilderness ...
Read more : National Forest mobile radio sites | Views : 3520 | Replies : 4

Sierra road update

Caltrans closed the gate above Aspendell on Highway 168 today (11/19/18) so a longer trek for you if heading out of Sabrina Basin or Piute Pass trails. Also just read they are planning on closing Tioga as early as 6 PM tomorrow night (11/20/18).
Read more : Sierra road update | Views : 2719 | Replies : 2

Didn't know this about the Whitney hut

I was recently touring Lick Observatory near San Jose when I spotted this on the wall. Instantly recognized the summit hut. Pretty cool connection.
IMG_520.jpg
Read more : Didn't know this about the Whitney hut | Views : 2457 | Replies : 0

Missing Hiker, Carson Pass area

Brad Dozier, 55, has gone missing in the Carson Pass area as of yesterday, Oct 27. CHP and SAR have been contacted by his wife, Ruanne. He set off for what was supposed to be a dayhike of an unknown peak in the area. Our best guess is that he was after an OGUL peak that he has yet to climb - Red Lake, Stevens, Waterhouse, The Nipple, Markleville, Hawkins and Jeff Davis are all ...
Read more : Missing Hiker, Carson Pass area | Views : 27362 | Replies : 40

Matterhorn Peak conditions?

I’m hoping to climb Matterhorn Peak in a week or so and was wondering about current conditions, especially with respect to snow.

A recent TR on Whitney revealed several inches of snow. However, Yosemite webcams (lower elevations, obviously) don’t indicate any.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/learn/photosmu ... ebcams.htm

Has anyone heard anything about Matterhorn? Would love to be able to do it light and fast, without crampons and poles, just wearing trail runners.

Thanks.
Read more : Matterhorn Peak conditions? | Views : 2901 | Replies : 1

North Peak and Data couloir conditions

Has anyone been up these recently?

Any beta is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Bill
Read more : North Peak and Data couloir conditions | Views : 2632 | Replies : 2

Picture of Mt Whitney? Picture of Mt Whitney?

unknownmountain.jpg

I found this picture on another site. The guy is putting a Whitney mountaineers route trip together. I don't think it is a picture of Mt Whitney. At least not from any angler I have ever seen.
Read more : Picture of Mt Whitney? | Views : 3276 | Replies : 2

Mount Woodworth

Last week I ascended Mount Woodworth, at the southern end of the Black Divide in Kings Canyon NP. This otherwise unremarkable peak was formerly renowned for hosting the oldest summit register in the Sierra, placed in 1893 during the first recorded ascent. I say formerly, since the RCS replaced the original register in 1992. Mine was the 13th recorded ascent since the register was replaced 26 years ago. On page 1 of the register it ...
Read more : Mount Woodworth | Views : 2585 | Replies : 1

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557989 • Total topics 55841 • Total members 136499