It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:05 pm

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Tyndall or Split on Memorial Day weekend

Looking to do one of these two peaks on memorial day weekend.

Anyone know snow conditions? is there a lot of snow? are ax and crampons necessary? can the snow be avoided at all?

predictions of labor day conditions based on current snow amounts?

If it's pretty bad, any suggestions on good places to go that are similar, but might have less snow? aka cottonwood lakes area or anything else?

Thanks,
Thatcher
Read more : Tyndall or Split on Memorial Day weekend | Views : 3652 | Replies : 15

Shepherd Pass snow conditions

Has anyone been up lately? Where does consistent coverage begin? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Bill
Read more : Shepherd Pass snow conditions | Views : 3736 | Replies : 8

John Muir Trail Ski Trip April 13th-29th

I skied from Mount Whitney to Mammoth Lakes the last couple of weeks. I will post more details and pics soon!

Conditions varied form deep powder to corn and/or ice. There was also some great skiing and it is going to get better!

Here is the link with a day by day acount, detailed gear list, and photos. Be sure to scroll all the way down for the photos.
http://www.silvertipmountaincenter.com/JMT.html

Thanks,

Jay
Read more : John Muir Trail Ski Trip April 13th-29th | Views : 6031 | Replies : 19

Telescope Peak conditions? (5/1/2010)

Anyone been up the main trail (and Wildrose Canyon road) lately? Is the road open and drivable up to Mahogany Flats?

A co-worker and I are planning to do it in two weeks if the road is passable. We've got to take a few 'furlough' days and thought this would be a great springtime trip, and his wife agreed to take off his "ball & chain" for the long weekend (he's never been up and ...
Read more : Telescope Peak conditions? (5/1/2010) | Views : 1992 | Replies : 2

Bumming it in the Valley?

So I'm heading out to Yosemite in mid-May to climb at all. I'm flying into Fresno on Sunday afternoon before my partner(s) who will have the rental car arrive on Monday.

Say I arrive in the Valley at 5pm Sunday (May 16). Is there any chance at all of still getting a Camp 4 spot? Right now the safe thing to do seems to reserve a room for Sunday night at Curry and getting up ...
Read more : Bumming it in the Valley? | Views : 1798 | Replies : 6

Lost Camera Commitment, Yosemite 4/23

At least it hasn't shown up yet.
Canon Powershot A590is in black shoulder bag (Belkin?) also containing 4 or more Dble A nicads.

The last I remember it was taking photos from the belay on top of commitment, and laying it down by the tree with two dead branches you stack the rope on. But could have been left in;
site 31 upper pines,
near base of absolutely Free,
Positively 4th street,
Lena's Lieback,
the ...
Read more : Lost Camera Commitment, Yosemite 4/23 | Views : 836 | Replies : 0

SP Gathering-Round Top May 8th

Anyone still planning on doing the CMC on Round top that Sat?
Read more : SP Gathering-Round Top May 8th | Views : 8903 | Replies : 42

mt lyell from the south (lyell fork merced basin) ?

I'm writing to ask what would be required to get to the notch slightly east of the summit of lyell from the south, and then onto the Lyell glacier. I'm talking about the notch just below the "UO" of the "TUOLUMNE" on this map:
http://c0278592.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspac ... /10580.jpg

Is the glacier accessible there? is the south side cliffy or just a big pile of talus?

As far as I can ...
Read more : mt lyell from the south (lyell fork merced basin) ? | Views : 2198 | Replies : 5

Shasta, Brewer Creek Trailhead

I, along with a few friends are planning to attempt the Hotlum-Wintun Ridge in late May. With all the snow this year, it's likely that the Forest Service roads to the Brewer Creek Trailhead won't be cleared and open by then.

If anyone knows, could you please help with information so we can anticipate how much cross country snow travel will be necessary to get from the point where the road is closed to the ...
Read more : Shasta, Brewer Creek Trailhead | Views : 5002 | Replies : 14

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557948 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136406