It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:40 am

News News of California

Site map of California » Forum : California

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Golden State. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the California Climbing Partners forum.

Helicopter Rescue on the Evolution Traverse at Mt Darwin

On July 1, 2019 a satellite emergency notification device was activated from about 13200' on the ridge between Mt. Darwin and Peak 13332, on the technical Evolution Traverse. A party of 4 were climbing the route and rappelling a technical section when the weathered single-piece fixed anchor failed, causing one rappelling climber to fall about 40'. He briefly lost consciousness and sustained serious foot and shoulder trauma. Due to high winds and approaching darkness a ...
Read more : Helicopter Rescue on the Evolution Traverse at Mt Darwin | Views : 4265 | Replies : 3

Missing Hiker 73. Found Alive After Seven Days

A hiker missing for seven days in the mountains has been located this morning with massive search team made up with members from all parts of California approximately 87 searchers were working this morning when the two members of Altadena mountain rescue team located the hiker he was awake and talking with the rescuers the hiker was flown to a local hospital for evaluation.

The search started last Saturday evening with Montrose search and rescue ...
Read more : Missing Hiker 73. Found Alive After Seven Days | Views : 2823 | Replies : 0

Crampons Found

I hiked up one of California’s 14ers yesterday. I didn’t see anyone else on the peak, but I found a nice new-looking pair of crampons on the way down. Are they yours? If you can identify the crampons and name the peak, I’ll send them to you.
Read more : Crampons Found | Views : 4722 | Replies : 2

Lassen Peak gear

Hi everyone,

If you didn't hear, road crews have cleared 89 up to Lassen Peak trailhead.

I'm planning on heading up in the next few weeks to snowboard off the summit and am curios if I'll need a split or snowshoes or if I can make do with boots & crampons. Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks, Ted
Read more : Lassen Peak gear | Views : 4776 | Replies : 1

Taking a guess at Williamson conditions the next month

Hello, trusted climbers of Summitpost. I haven't checked here in awhile, but i used to get great advice here and even posted a couple trip reports of my own.

I'm planning a go at Williamson, traditional route from the Bowl, but a longer approach for fun from Kearsarge. Assuming we'd go end of July. Now however, with snow conditions, i'm wondering if there's any advantage to going sooner. I'm a pretty crappy climber on rock. ...
Read more : Taking a guess at Williamson conditions the next month | Views : 4344 | Replies : 7

Missing Hiker Alert 6/14

Inyo Co Sheriff's Dept:
On Friday June 14, Inyo County Sheriff’s Office was notified that Ling Dao a 41–year old man from Virginia had not shown up for work. According to the reporting party (and co-worker) Dao flew into Las Vegas on Tuesday June 11, had planned to summit Mt. Whitney on June 12, drive back to Las Vegas after summiting and catch a red-eye flight back to Virginia for scheduled work on June 13. ...
Read more : Missing Hiker Alert 6/14 | Views : 2773 | Replies : 1

Temple Crag Helicopter Rescue

TEMPLE CRAG / SIERRA NEVADA, CA, June 17, 2019 – On June 15 at around 5:45pm, a male and female party of two were "simul-climbing" (a climbing technique where all climbers climb at the same time while tied into the same rope) the technical rock route “Sun Ribbon Arete” on Temple Crag in the Palisades region of the Sierra Nevada. At about 12,600’ (about 200' from the summit) a rock broke causing the second climber ...
Read more : Temple Crag Helicopter Rescue | Views : 2246 | Replies : 0

Chocolate Mountains climbing history.

In the past 4 years, I've hiked out to the crumbling western escarpments of the Chocolate Mountains. They are small, two to three thousand foot peaks of little provenance--peaklets with a rise of mere hundreds of feet. The rock is absolutely terrible and most of the peaks lie withing the Chocolate Mountains Areal Bombing Range, and thus have been off limits for half a century.
However, I can't help but wonder if these obscure, fragile ...
Read more : Chocolate Mountains climbing history. | Views : 2222 | Replies : 0

Palisade Glacier? Or no?

1.jpg
Read more : Palisade Glacier? Or no? | Views : 4965 | Replies : 5

Mount Shasta this year

Given the snowpack this year and the most recent storms (last week into next week) would the end of June still be good for climbing via Avalanche Gulch?
Thanks.
Read more : Mount Shasta this year | Views : 5073 | Replies : 8

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557954 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136418