It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:02 pm

News News of Canada and Alaska

Site map of Canada and Alaska » Forum : Canada and Alaska

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Canada and Alaska. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Canada and Alaska Climbing Partners forum.

ice climbing in the Chugach

I have my airline tickets bought already for 2 weeks in the Chugach in the end of February. Looking for suggestion sof interesting ice climbs in the region. Are they mostly by Valdez. I was looking at areas around Girdwood but only found some WI2's. Looking for something long (but if cragging suffices it is what it is) that is good, and in the WI4/5 to 5+ range or mixed. Seems like Avi conditions can ...
Read more : ice climbing in the Chugach | Views : 2270 | Replies : 1

Banff/Jasper NP overview

I am looking at a few places to spend about a week with my son next August (maybe June). Some friends have recommended the Canadian Rockies. I realize these two parks are VERY large with many beautiful places. There are many guidebooks. When I have planned visits to Frank Church, Sierras, and the Winds I have used large maps to get a good overview and guides to then focus on specific areas. I have used ...
Read more : Banff/Jasper NP overview | Views : 3849 | Replies : 10

Looking for Juneau area maps/books

I'm looking to buy the following books and maps:

http://www.alaskageographic.org/store/p ... eau-trails

http://www.alaskageographic.org/store/p ... ails-guide

I have searched quite a bit, but have been unsuccessful.

Can anyone point to a place to buy these products (used or new)?

Does anyone on SP own these maps and wouldn't mind selling them?

Does anyone on SP live in the Juneau area and wouldn't mind buying ...
Read more : Looking for Juneau area maps/books | Views : 2085 | Replies : 3

Banff / Jasper Backpacks

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to Banff and Jasper next Aug/Sep and want to d ome backpacking. Looking for anything in the range of 40km to 100km. Already thinking of the Skyline Trail, Egypt Lake, Skoki Lake and the Rockwall.

Can anyone recommend anything else I should look at?

Thanks,

David
Read more : Banff / Jasper Backpacks | Views : 2378 | Replies : 2

clemenceau icefield...mt shackleton

Hey !

anyone got data about mt shackleton north face ? I just discovered this mountain in a book i bought (11000er of the canadian rockies) but there is no info...just an amazing picture that makes me wana climb it really bad !!! I know the acces is trough the columbia icefield or flying in, but thats it...by the way how much would be a fly in-fly out trip on the icefield ? let say ...
Read more : clemenceau icefield...mt shackleton | Views : 3455 | Replies : 4

November Ice?

I may have reason to be in Banff-Canmore the first two or three weeks of November. I'd have even better reason if I thought there'd be good ice in. I realise it's still too early to say.

I've only climbed there February-March (1997 & 2003), never that early. I know the Ghost comes in earlier than other areas, mayb K-Country, and most probably routes that are higher and facing north, but I'd be interested in ...
Read more : November Ice? | Views : 1728 | Replies : 2

athabasca north face

Hi spers !

anyone did the north face of athabasca this season ? how looked the crux section (the mixed part...) ? i've been told the 5.4 (m2) grade is totaly sandbag now due to change of the ice condition in the last years. Was it as hard as the ''serious 5.9'' described by blanchard in 2008 ? Is the gully exit still worth going or is it now a sketchy, poorly protected mix pitch ...
Read more : athabasca north face | Views : 3355 | Replies : 3

Guidebook recommendation for greater Squamish area

Anyone have any good recommendations for climbing guidebooks for Squamish and the surrounding rocks (Grand Wall, Stawamus Chief, etc)? I mean, yeah, I can google some titles, but, given how much some of the self-published titles cost, I'd prefer not to purchase any lame titles. Personal experience with the guide is what I'm looking for. So, any particularly good/complete ones? Pamphlets from local shops? Spiral-bound xeroxes?

Thanks in advance.

(Note: I'm not down on the ...
Read more : Guidebook recommendation for greater Squamish area | Views : 3450 | Replies : 4

Icefields Parkway in Jan.

Thinking about an Ice Climbing trip to Icefields Parkway in late January. Am I asking for trouble? Will it be insanely cold then?
Read more : Icefields Parkway in Jan. | Views : 4048 | Replies : 15

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558082 • Total topics 55846 • Total members 136721