It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:20 pm

News News of Gear

Site map of Gear » Forum : Gear

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.

ATTN: Grivel tool users...

As I was sharpening my picks today I noticed that they were crooked! Only slightly on one tool, but very noticable on the other! I was bummed to say the least. I have never mixed climbed on them, so torquing is not the issue (and I can't believe I've never noticed it before!)

They are the Matrix Tech's (w/ the black ...handle). I suggest going and checking your tools right now. To check mine, I ...
Read more : ATTN: Grivel tool users... | Views : 2959 | Replies : 5

Wanted La Sportiva Nepals Size 47

I'm interested in a pair of used nepals size 47 pm me with details & pics.
Read more : Wanted La Sportiva Nepals Size 47 | Views : 2000 | Replies : 4

Rope Question

I ordered a new rope for a xmas present. I thought I ordered a 60M but ends up I clicked the wrong button and got a 70M instead. Is it worth the shipping cost to send it back to get the 60M rope or can I just take it to REI or somewhere that can cut the rope to length? Or is this something I can do my self at home? TIA
Read more : Rope Question | Views : 3690 | Replies : 13

What is the/your defacto cold weather, high altitude bag?

I'm curious what everyone uses as their cold weather, high altitude bags.

I'm somewhat new to extended sub-zero exposure and being on the east coast, it's difficult to find people that have the experience at these temperatures, I find myself solo a majority of the time and almost always the only tracks on the mountains. So, I'm winging it a bit.

My 0F "rated" (cough, add 15) synthetic isn't cutting it. 4 of the last ...
Read more : What is the/your defacto cold weather, high altitude bag? | Views : 3901 | Replies : 10

Socks for hiking/mountaineering

Yesterday I purchased a pair of Kayland Vertigo High boots, and I'm excited to take them out asap. But being 16, I bought them a half size larger for fear that I would grow out of a $200 pair of boots in less than a year. Now I have to layer on socks in order to make them fit properly, which isn't exactly a problem; I'd just like to know what you people would recommend ...
Read more : Socks for hiking/mountaineering | Views : 12808 | Replies : 15

Feeler:

Hey everyone,

I went to the Arc'teryx boxing day sale yesterday and purchased a Sidewinder AR, size Large, color is Tarragon (wasn't on sale much!). Anyways, I tried it back on at home, and decided that it really was too big for me. I'm just wanting to see how much I reasonably get for it, and maybe even possibly sell it so that I can buy the Alpha LT.

Too be clear, I'm not looking ...
Read more : Feeler: | Views : 1533 | Replies : 7

FS: Black Diamond Lighthouse

Hey everyone,

Up for sale is my Black Diamond Lighthouse. I bought it from another person, and upon setting it up in my yard, it is too big for my needs.

It is in good condition. The only real flaw is a small hole (repaired very well by the previous owner) It is seam-sealed, and everything else is damage/usage free. If you would like some pictures, please e-mail me at

edpphotography@hotmail.com ...
Read more : FS: Black Diamond Lighthouse | Views : 1411 | Replies : 0

Light My Fire (at altitude)?

Any recs for a good quality, reliable, windproof lighter that is easy to use with gloves on in winter conditions at 10-14K?

TIA
Read more : Light My Fire (at altitude)? | Views : 5009 | Replies : 9

Christmas was good to me, now I need help

My little brothers got me a set of Metolius Rock Rings (thanks guys, you hit the nail on the head) and now I need some engineering/construction advice.

I'm going to mount them in my basement. The basement once was a young boy's dream, no carpeting, just cement ceiling and walls, exposed 2x4 framing on the ceiling, and some uncovered I-beams for pullups. Unfortunately, it got finished a couple years ago, carpeting put in, drywall installed, ...
Read more : Christmas was good to me, now I need help | Views : 2299 | Replies : 4

FS: Lot of 8 Mountaineering Paperpack Books

Books are sold.

Thinning my shelves, in most cases I have the HB so these are duplicates:

Nepal Himalaya, HW. Tilman
The Breach, Rob Taylor (SIGNED)
One Man's Mountains, Tom Patey
Nanda Devi Exploration and Ascent, Shipton / Tilman
No Picnic on Mount Kenya, Benuzzi
The Mountains of My Life, Bonatti
A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush, Newby
Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain, Tremper

Books in good or better condition. All are great reads. ...
Read more : FS: Lot of 8 Mountaineering Paperpack Books | Views : 1189 | Replies : 3

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558077 • Total topics 55846 • Total members 136698