It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:37 am

News News of Gear

Site map of Gear » Forum : Gear

Post climbing gear-related questions, offer advice. For classifieds, please use that forum.

Winter climbing/camping when I run very warm (body temp)

Hey everyone,
I’m new to the world of winter and high-altitude camping. I’ve been working diligently to put together gear for myself so I can go out in inclement, negative degree temperatures and remain safe. In my future, I would like to prepare myself for winter 14er ascents.

I’m running into what some may call a personal hang-up that I need some advice to get over…

Personally, I run very warm. As in— body temperature ...
Read more : Winter climbing/camping when I run very warm (body temp) | Views : 3115 | Replies : 3

Durable Down Jacket

I'm looking to buy a durable down jacket that is about 700 fill. I really like Marmot shadow down as far as durability goes, but unfortunately, I am buying for my work and Marmot doesn't do corporate sales for ski jackets. Any recommendations?
Read more : Durable Down Jacket | Views : 4362 | Replies : 3

Eureka! High Camp Tent

Does any have experience using the Eureka! High Camp mountaineering tent? I'm curious about it since it seems very similar to the MH Trango. And I've seen pictures of the Eureka used by guide services on Rainier and other technical and high peaks.

It is a little cheaper than the Trango and about the same size. Is this worth a purchase?
Read more : Eureka! High Camp Tent | Views : 1990 | Replies : 0

Packing for Mt Rainier

Greetings. I have a few questions about packing for a Mt Rainier climb. We intend on taking the tourist route. I've read the article "so you want to climb Mt Rainier". It is most interesting and helpful. I have been to the summit of Denali on a guided climb. Last year we climbed Mt Hood unguided as a warm up and gear check for Mt Rainier this year. The article listed the items one should ...
Read more : Packing for Mt Rainier | Views : 19280 | Replies : 8

Sorry everyone: another "which pack?" post

Looking for a new 30L-ish pack. I've had a CG WorkSack 30 for awhile but after a fair amount of use I never really got into it and the CG "thing". Looking to replace it with these basic criteria in mind:

- Primary use will be single day ice climbing (both single and multi-pitch) rather than alpine/summit attempts or extended hike/climbs.
- Due to above comment weight isn't really an issue.
- I generally like ...
Read more : Sorry everyone: another "which pack?" post | Views : 5726 | Replies : 6

Expedition Tent- Trango VS Keron

Looking at options for a good foul weather long-term expedition tent.

I may or may not be using it for Denali, and I have other plans on using it in the arctic as well.

Right now I'm torn between a Hilleberg Keron 3gt or a MH Trango 3. I know they're both solid expedition tents with good reputations. I like the added wind shedding ability that I would assume the Trango has over the Keron, ...
Read more : Expedition Tent- Trango VS Keron | Views : 7948 | Replies : 8

Rain shells that actually work?

Alright, so I’m looking for some rain shell recommendations.

In the 15 years that I’ve been spending a lot of time outdoors, I haven’t really been putting my rain shells to the test. I’ve mostly been in dry, snowy, or thundershower-but-not-consistent-rain environments. Lately I’ve gotten into cycle touring, and I’ve been spending more time in wet places –Iceland, Scandinavia, the Baltics, Patagonia. My rain shells have not been cutting it.

I have an old Marmot ...
Read more : Rain shells that actually work? | Views : 3209 | Replies : 2

Expeditions shoes Women size 38 Europe LOWA

Expeditions shoes Women size 38 Europe LOWA , the same Gerlinde KALTENBRUNNER used... new 850 Euro for a climbing woman 250 Euro... used on two 6000 meter mountains mainly on snow...
They are in Switzerland but I could send them if you pay the postal service/shipping. (cheapest I can find I promise)
details from producer see here.... https://www.bergfreunde.de/lowa-expedit ... nsstiefel/
contact me for pictures
Read more : Expeditions shoes Women size 38 Europe LOWA | Views : 1928 | Replies : 0

Expedition-Sleepingbag ECC 1200 Carinthia

Expedition-Sleepingbag ECC 1200 Carinthia almost new, used it for high camps on two 8000 mountains. Including the test nights I did sleep in the bag maybe 10 times.
Details of producer see:
https://www.carinthia.eu/bags/en/shop/S ... 804&list=1
New price 1150Euro... for another mountaineer here to sell for 350 Euro...
contact me for pictures
it is in Switzerland, but I could send it... if you pay shipping/postal costs... Cheapest I can find, ...
Read more : Expedition-Sleepingbag ECC 1200 Carinthia | Views : 3635 | Replies : 1

Gibraltar Ledges??

Howdy folks.

So I just got home from an attempt at the Gib Ledges last night, jumping on the awesome winter inversion window (we hiked to Muir basically shirtless). Summit night started in just a windbreaker!

LSS, we were nearly unprepared for bullet-steeled ice on the route, and as a triad, were only carrying two screws and a couple pickets. Each had one standard axe. I feel really weird about this trip. It seemed everything ...
Read more : Gibraltar Ledges?? | Views : 2960 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557948 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136406