It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 4:34 pm

News News of Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)

Site map of Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast) » Forum : Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.

2016 Foliage Forecast for High Peaks and Rocky Peak areas

I recently did first time bit of hiking in the Adirondack's High Peak area. I'm planning on coming back ideally for a few days during "peak foliage" not only for High Peak area but also Rocky Peak/Giant area. I've checked out the boilerplate foliage forecasters on the web for these regions and they basically say "last two weeks of September - first week of October". QUESTIONS. Are there some on forum that have more insight ...
Read more : 2016 Foliage Forecast for High Peaks and Rocky Peak areas | Views : 4746 | Replies : 1

class 1-2 mountains

I'll only do class 2 if I have somebody to ' show me the ropes' and make sure I don't do anything stupid and get myself injured/killed.
Read more : class 1-2 mountains | Views : 6482 | Replies : 5

gpx for Kilkenny ridge, Wildcats-carters and kinsman ridge

Hey!

I have a big few weeks of hiking planned for the end of summer. Looking for .gpx routes of the full Kilkenny Ridge Traverse, Wildcats-Carters traverse, and Kinsman Ridge traverse. I tried just making them in basecamp but my computer is acting up and I know some of the ridge routes and trails back there are easy to lose so I'd like to go with both paper map and .gpx tracks for my garmin ...
Read more : gpx for Kilkenny ridge, Wildcats-carters and kinsman ridge | Views : 4088 | Replies : 0

Presi traverse "biathlon"-- where to park my bike?

I'm soloing the presi traverse in the next couple weeks through the night to hopefully see some of the meteor shower. I want to leave my bike at the finish, drive to the start, hike the traverse, then bike back to my car. Which direction do you recommend if doing it this way in terms of bike parking safety? Is there a place near either end of the hike that has a relatively safe bike ...
Read more : Presi traverse "biathlon"-- where to park my bike? | Views : 5790 | Replies : 2

Death March

While hiking the Trap Dike on Mt. Colden two weeks ago, my friend and I came up with the insane death and was wondering if there were any trip reports or related links for such a hike?

Mt. Colden ->Trail #70 (Mt. Colden from Lake Colden) -> Trail #121 (Mt. Marcy via Calamity Brook & Lake Colden) -> Grey Peak (depending on how we ...
Read more : Death March | Views : 5155 | Replies : 1

Wildcat RT from the ski area parking lot?

I'm trying to pick a round trip route up the wildcats that avoids too many prolonged "very rough and steep" sections. Cori and I did King Ravine up Adams last weekend, and while the views were awesome it was a little stressful.

The alltrails.com map shows a much more even route up starting at the ski area with no name. I assume this is the route referred to in trip reports as "Wildcat Ski Area ...
Read more : Wildcat RT from the ski area parking lot? | Views : 4979 | Replies : 1

Day tripping the Bonds with Fido?

Cori bagged 5 more 4ks this week to make 30. She is a 70# lab/GSD that is nearly all black.

How much exposure is there on a Bond traverse from Zealand Rd. to Lincoln Woods? Even short shade by human standards helps Cori out a lot, if it's hot. I'm going to be staying 45m from Lincoln Woods for a week at the end of August, and tentatively planning to (weather depending) drive to Zealand ...
Read more : Day tripping the Bonds with Fido? | Views : 5010 | Replies : 2

Is Clingmans Dome, TN the Highpoint?

Does anyone know for sure that Clingmans Dome is the highpoint of Tennessee and if so, how? The mountain itself is in both TN and North Carolina but the peak is clearly in NC. Using the USGS map found at: https://pubs.er.usgs.gov/publication/70048223 one can easily see this and the elevation is 6643 ft. The contour lines represent a 40 feet rise or decline so the possible highest point in TN ...
Read more : Is Clingmans Dome, TN the Highpoint? | Views : 22534 | Replies : 22

Isolation with 1 car tips

I am trying to plan a single car isolation hike. I like to start early and get most or all of my exposure and vertical out of the way before it gets warm, so the Glen Boulder, Davis trail, then back via Isolation and Rocky Branch looks perfect. But, that leaves me with 3+ miles of rte. 16 midday when it's hot, which doesn't seem pleasant at all. There also seems to be mentions of ...
Read more : Isolation with 1 car tips | Views : 6432 | Replies : 4

Presumably traverse

Hey all. Planning on a Presi next weekend and just curious on the conditions and if any of the water stations are online yet.

Thanks
Read more : Presumably traverse | Views : 6260 | Replies : 4

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557970 • Total topics 55838 • Total members 136459