It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 3:36 am

News News of Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)

Site map of Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast) » Forum : Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Eastern US. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Eastern US Climbing Partners section.

Slide Climbing Facebook Group

I started a slide climbing Facebook group at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/slideclimbing/
Feel free to join if Adirondack slides and scrambling are your thing!
Read more : Slide Climbing Facebook Group | Views : 4361 | Replies : 0

NY, VT, NH & ME HP's in Winter

All - I have a few days in Boston with a hall pass and I thought I'd at least try to bag a few peaks. Given that I live in California, I'm specifically looking for Mt Marcy, Mt Mansfield, Mt Ellen (VT), Mt Washington, and Katahdin... trouble is that I'll be there in March... what are the prospects of any of these peaks in winter? I'm fine driving, hiking, climbing (ice, snow, rock, whatever), but ...
Read more : NY, VT, NH & ME HP's in Winter | Views : 4900 | Replies : 6

Post-Presi Traverse: Practical Question

We are flying into Boston and then driving up to the Whites for a three day Presi hike. We'll be off the trail the morning of our fourth day,hiking down to 302 from Mizpah Hut, and have to catch our return flight in Boston that evening. Would be nice to shower and change before heading south. Is there a camp ground with showers near that area where we could duck in and get presentable again? ...
Read more : Post-Presi Traverse: Practical Question | Views : 4583 | Replies : 1

Adirondacks: Haystack, Basin, Saddleback Loop Hike

I know this would be a long day hike from the Garden (Haystack, Basin, Saddleback loop). I'm wondering if it's more interesting/challenging going up the Phelps trail to Haystack first and making a counterclockwise loop, or going up the Orbed trail to Saddleback first and making a clockwise loop hike. I'd much rather do more steep scrambling going up if there's more one direction than the other. Thanks for any opinions.
Read more : Adirondacks: Haystack, Basin, Saddleback Loop Hike | Views : 4610 | Replies : 0

advice request; gothics in adirondacks with a dog?

im planning on going upper wolf jaw -> armstrong -> gothics next weekend with my dog. ive read about both a) the cables on gothics and b) the ladder(s)? between lower wolf jaw and armstrong. has anybody done this route recently with a dog? im more worried about the ladder than the cable section. for reference, hes got dix/haystack/algonquin under his belt already. he's 80 lbs, but I also plan to bring rope to help ...
Read more : advice request; gothics in adirondacks with a dog? | Views : 4344 | Replies : 2

Mount Jefferson page and Mount Bond page up for adoption

I was informed by NH Fours - http://www.summitpost.org/users/nhfours/1148 - that he has no interest in maintaining his existing pages.
These are the all important Mount Jefferson - http://www.summitpost.org/mount-jefferson/150924 and Mount Bond - http://www.summitpost.org/mount-bond/150931

I have climbed neither, so I cannot maintain them.
Read more : Mount Jefferson page and Mount Bond page up for adoption | Views : 4650 | Replies : 3

Single Day hike around Lake Placid above treeline?

Hi there, I hiked in Colorado last may and was wowed by the many breathtaking views from short hikes just off highways, which I guess makes me a little spoiled.

My friend and I are going to Lake Placid on June 13-14 and are looking for a single day hike. What we are looking for is a hike which is as much above the treeline as much as possible. I've done a little bit of ...
Read more : Single Day hike around Lake Placid above treeline? | Views : 7197 | Replies : 8

Trailhead Camping/Parking in the Whites

Hello, so I will be driving cross-country to spend some time in New England this summer and wanted to see if there are any restrictions regarding trailhead camping/overnight parking. Would rather get to the trailhead the evening before than get up waaaay early the morning of my hike and drive a few hours. Thanks in advance for the info
Read more : Trailhead Camping/Parking in the Whites | Views : 21497 | Replies : 3

LOST AND FOUND Red Canon Camera, VA

I recently found a red canon camera on a trail near Wyethville, VA. I would like to give it back to the owner, so please message me if it is yours. You will have to answer some specific questions to verify it is indeed yours :)

Thank you,

Ben
Read more : LOST AND FOUND Red Canon Camera, VA | Views : 3546 | Replies : 0

dog trips in the new england

My vision is to have this thread be a continuing archive of my adventures with my dog, Luna.

I feel like wanting to hike and experience the great outside; just a man and his dog, is a pretty standard ambition and yet there is a startling lack of resources for such ambitions

so....hit me summitposters!
Read more : dog trips in the new england | Views : 4436 | Replies : 4

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557997 • Total topics 55842 • Total members 136518