It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 12:26 pm

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

FS: 40 Below Purple Haze overboots size M - used once - $100

These overboots kept my feet toasty on the summit of Denali last summer, as described, here. I only used them once, from 17k camp to the summit and back. They were purchased in May of '08. They have a handful of small crampon nicks, as can be seen in these photos. Product info can be found at Forty Below.

FedEx standard shipping in the lower 48 (US) is included for $100, though I can ship ...
Read more : FS: 40 Below Purple Haze overboots size M - used once - $100 | Views : 2542 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Gear

Radial Head Fracture & recovery

About 6 weeks ago I sustained a non-displaced fracture of the radial head, in other words a broken elbow. The doc said in cases like mine they don't splint or cast it so that the joint doesn't get stiff.

X-rays a couple of weeks ago shows the facture healing, and I seem to have most of the ROM back, though it's still kind of sore sometimes. Flexion seems good, but I think it's missing a ...
Read more : Radial Head Fracture & recovery | Views : 41535 | Replies : 19 | Forum : Mountain Medicine & Rescue

Exped DownMat 7 - Pin holes??

Hello, I am wondering if anyone else has had any problems with their Exped DownMat 7 (or 9) forming pin holes. The last few times I used the mat it seemed fine but on my last winter backpack a couple of weeks ago it completly deflated in 30 minutes and I found myself with no mat between me and the snow! When I put the inflated mat in the tub to find the hole I ...
Read more : Exped DownMat 7 - Pin holes?? | Views : 8160 | Replies : 11 | Forum : Gear

Longest lines of sight photographed.......

Greetings from a longtime lurker on this site who has followed it from its infancy........

I know this topic has come up every now and then on various websites......this is one I like to look into as a little hobby: What is the farthest you can see from one place to another?

I was surfing some photos of Mount Rainier on here and discovered this remarkable recently-posted view from Brunswick Mountain in British Columbia, north ...
Read more : Longest lines of sight photographed....... | Views : 136771 | Replies : 163 | Forum : General

New NeoAir too good to be true?

That is sickkkkk. Thermarest has been truthful up to this point as far as i'm concerned. ItThe site says it comes out in April so there won't be any hands on experiences for now =(
This could be the one to change me from foam to air mattress. hmmmm
Read more : New NeoAir too good to be true? | Views : 17312 | Replies : 51 | Forum : Gear

90cm walkers ice axe

Hi all,

I guess for ease of me getting a 90cm walkers ice axe this is directed at guys and girls living in the European Union.

Being big and old I tend to walk the hills and mountains with my two Lekis part holding me up!

But I tend to keep using them in winter when I should really get my 65cm ice axe off my rucksac.

On the Snowdon summit ridge last week a ...
Read more : 90cm walkers ice axe | Views : 10569 | Replies : 18 | Forum : Gear

Good Modern Blues-- Suggestions, Please

I am a fan of classic American Blues-- favorites include Robert Johnson, Willie Dixon, Howlin' Wolf, and Muddy Waters.

Please recommend some good modern-day performers. I don't like my music with a lot of political commentary, and I like my blues to be the hard, wicked kind-- the stuff that makes you want to grab a pack of harsh cigarettes and a bottle of rotgut whiskey and that covers the great Blues themes like unfaithful ...
Read more : Good Modern Blues-- Suggestions, Please | Views : 7117 | Replies : 51 | Forum : General

GPS: What do you use, and why?

Out of curiousity,

WHICH GPS do you use?
WHY did you chose that one over another?

I am looking into getting a GPS to map routes, especially those in thick forrested areas where the desirable path is hard to follow (such as on Vancouver Island). I also am an advid caver, and would be nice to map locations of entrances as they are easily lost.
I have been looking at the Garmin Geko 301, and ...
Read more : GPS: What do you use, and why? | Views : 25007 | Replies : 130 | Forum : Gear

Search continues for missing hiker

Last time seen: December 19th, 2008.
Possible place: La Pedriza, Sierra de Guadarrama...
Gear: rucksack, sleeping-bag and boots.

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/pu ... 9483.shtml

:?:
Read more : Search continues for missing hiker | Views : 6997 | Replies : 11 | Forum : News

Sleeping Pad

Well, the trusty inflatable thermarest suffered one too many abrasions, and despite considerable patching/seam sealer is still leaking air, so it looks like I will be investing in a new pad soon enough. The question is this: inflatable or closed cell foam? I have used the inflatable thermarests for quite some time, and have never had any real issues (until now). I do a decent amount of snow camping/mountaineering, and my main concern is whether ...
Read more : Sleeping Pad | Views : 16393 | Replies : 34 | Forum : Gear

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557989 • Total topics 55841 • Total members 136498