It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 10:54 pm

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

"High Crimes"

Has anyone read the new book, High Crimes by Michael Kodas? I got it yesterday and wow, so far it is a gripping book about the thieves, drugs and prositution on Everest. It has been hard to put it down. To read that portars and even guides have left their clients to die is just hard to believe and makes me wonder if Everest has gotten to big for her britches.

Would love to hear ...
Read more : "High Crimes" | Views : 3759 | Replies : 6 | Forum : General

Toe nail surgery - how long does recovery take?

I have been taken off a stripe of my right foot's big toe nail this Monday. The nail was growing into the flesh and causing pain and infection before. :cry:

Guess this is a common thing for foot-active people, at least my doctor said that. :wink:

Now it's Thursday evening and once I place my foot ...
Read more : Toe nail surgery - how long does recovery take? | Views : 426067 | Replies : 15 | Forum : Mountain Medicine & Rescue

Pack Recommendations

I am looking to get a new pack and wanted to get some feedback on the following packs:

Gregory- Palisade
Gregory- Baltoro
Osprey- Aether 70

Any other pack recommendations under $300.00 would also be good. I will be mostly using this for 3-7 day trips in the lower 48. I do carry climbing gear at times. These are the three that I am really looking at right now, but I would like some feedback from ...
Read more : Pack Recommendations | Views : 8250 | Replies : 22 | Forum : Gear

Soloing Mount Sunflower

Has anyone soloed Mount Sunflower ?! I know it is a difficult alpine climb with a killer approach, and would appreciate some input.

btw Are all the summit pinnacles the same height ? Please, no annoying or harassing comments ... THIS IS SERIOUS BUSINESS !!

I need a hug :lol:
Read more : Soloing Mount Sunflower | Views : 12707 | Replies : 57 | Forum : Technique and Training

What is a true Sea Level to Summit expedition

I would like to get readers feedback on what it is believed constitutes a true Sea Level to Summit expedition.

Should it be Solo, guided, with porters and so on?

If a road exists should this be considered acceptable to hike along the road near to a peak?

How should Sea Level to Summit success be measured

What evidence is required?

AS numerous people have attested to having done sea to summit there must be ...
Read more : What is a true Sea Level to Summit expedition | Views : 6419 | Replies : 29 | Forum : General

The Seven Highest Mountains on the Seven Largest Islands

I was wondering what would be the seven highest mountains on the seven largest islands?
Here is a list to start with
Greenland - Gunnbjorn Fjeld - 3693m
New Guinea - Cerstenzs (Puncak Jaya} - 5030m
Borneo - Kinabalu - 4101m
Madegascar - Maromokotro - 2876m
Baffin Island - Tete Blanche - 2156m
Sumatra - Kerinei - 3800m
Honshu - Fuji - 3776m
Would Mt Cook in New Zealand or Mt Teide on the Canary ...
Read more : The Seven Highest Mountains on the Seven Largest Islands | Views : 5524 | Replies : 13 | Forum : General

Mount Everest-Need Advice

Little help here.

I have been an avid mountaineer and climbing enthusiast ever since the Discovery Channel aired their groundbreaking mini-series "Everest: Beyond the Limit" last fall. I have been waiting over 8 months for the chance to live my dream- taking my wife and teenaged son on a expedition to Nepal and the summit of the great behemoth- Mount Everest. And I'll tell you mano-a-mano, I plan on making it to the top-period.

Lack ...
Read more : Mount Everest-Need Advice | Views : 47092 | Replies : 139 | Forum : General

WFA, WFR, WEMT certs

I'd be interested to know how many people have active WFA, WFR or WEMT certs, who are not working as guides but obtained them just to be more able to handle potential incidents involving their climbing partners or themeselves.

Of those that have them, have you ever had to put into practice, on the mountain, the skills you learned. Of those that don't, were you ever in a situation where you lacked the training or ...
Read more : WFA, WFR, WEMT certs | Views : 15074 | Replies : 40 | Forum : Mountain Medicine & Rescue

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557989 • Total topics 55841 • Total members 136499