It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 11:31 pm

News News of Mexico, Central America and Caribbean

Site map of Mexico, Central America and Caribbean » Forum : Mexico, Central America and Caribbean

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Mexico Climbing Partners section.

Orizaba in April / May

Hey y'all

Wasn't really planning on it, but things have opened in my life and I have ~3 months of in-between time starting this April. After a failed attempt @ orizaba in 12/08 (not enough acclimatization,) I'd like to take another shot at it.

Most accounts list April as a possibility, but just wanted to see how realistic that is. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Erik
Read more : Orizaba in April / May | Views : 7623 | Replies : 3

recent conditions reported at Iztaccihuatl

Hi, A friend of mine atempted the hike from La Joya to the Refugio de los Cien on the Iztaccihuatl Volcano in Mexico on January 30, 2010. They did not make it to the Refugio, I think he went by only a few of the porrtillos before the cold, wind and snow made them turn back.

It was snowing already at the La Joya trail head with a few inches of snow on the ground ...
Read more : recent conditions reported at Iztaccihuatl | Views : 3735 | Replies : 3

Climbing Fuego and Acatenango.

If someone interesting in climbing Fuego and Acatenango volcanos in Guatemala any days from Feb.20 to 27 give me a buzz.
Read more : Climbing Fuego and Acatenango. | Views : 2877 | Replies : 0

Mexican Civil Unrest and Volcanoes

So... has the civil unrest in Mexico in recent years had any effect on the safety of the volcanoes region?
Read more : Mexican Civil Unrest and Volcanoes | Views : 4372 | Replies : 4

Acclimation and the Sarcofago

Hey everyone,
I am heading back to Mexico again this winter and am trying to devise the perfect acclimation plan, if there is such a thing, to get me safely up Orizaba this time without any HAPE. I have 11 days in Mexico this time and will be on Orizaba for all of them. Here are two possible itineraries I have been towing with.

Itinerary 1:
December 28 - flying
29 – arrive, transfer to ...
Read more : Acclimation and the Sarcofago | Views : 14516 | Replies : 13

sierra de la laguna (baja california sur)

Anyone been out exploring in the Sierra De La Laguna, in Baja California sur, between La Paz and Los Cabos? Thinking about heading that way and looking for resources, particularly maps!
Read more : sierra de la laguna (baja california sur) | Views : 3316 | Replies : 0

Beginners on Orizaba and Izta?

I'm just wondering if there are routes on Izta and Orizaba that are suitable for physically fit beginners whose only previous experience is some winter camping, figure 8 knots and climbing 30 to 100 foot indoor climbing walls ranging up to 5.7? In other words I'm next to a complete beginner. Would it be advisable for me to attempt, guided of course, Orizaba and/or Izta?
Read more : Beginners on Orizaba and Izta? | Views : 8987 | Replies : 19

current orizaba conditions?

anyone have any good links or beta for current snow/ice conditions?
Read more : current orizaba conditions? | Views : 9000 | Replies : 24

Anyone up for Itza over New Year's?

I was hoping to train from now until then and maybe fly down a day or two after Christmas (could leave before Christmas if need be). I would really like a partner to summit with and maybe even tag Orizaba if time permits. I must be back on January 2nd for the start of school.
Read more : Anyone up for Itza over New Year's? | Views : 1460 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557990 • Total topics 55841 • Total members 136504