It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 1:47 am

News News of Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)

Site map of Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes) » Forum : Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Heartland of the America. Hey, this includes Arkansas. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Midwest US Climbing Partners section.

Michigan Highpoint--still snow in April?

Is there still snow in da UP right now or in the next week or so? I'd like to plan a weekend trip up to L'Anse and hit the MI highpoint, but want to make sure I can drive the logging roads to get there. Is there still a lot of snow on the ground up there? If anyone lives around that area, thanks for your help!
Read more : Michigan Highpoint--still snow in April? | Views : 7849 | Replies : 1

Visiting Minneapolis - Still Ice?

I'll be in the mpls area mid April for a couple of weeks...was wondering if I dare bring ice tools, or are things starting to melt out? Any good climbing gym recommendations?

Thanks!
Jason
Read more : Visiting Minneapolis - Still Ice? | Views : 8492 | Replies : 7

Devil's Lake featured in Climbing Magazine

Did anyone see the article on Devil's Lake in the March issue of Climbing Magazine? They were obviously inspired by my winter outing next weekend... :roll:

Great quote at the start.

"If you can lead at Devil's Lake, you can lead anywhere..."
Read more : Devil's Lake featured in Climbing Magazine | Views : 7296 | Replies : 1

Devil's Lake outing in Feb

The CMC is holding a winter outing at Devil's Lake the last weekend in Feb. We're going to practice basic winter camping skills for people that have not done that before. A major snow storm is predicted this week which should make the outing all the more fun. We'll do a little hiking / snowshoeing while there, and possibly build a snow cave if there is enough snow.

Contact me if you are intersted in ...
Read more : Devil's Lake outing in Feb | Views : 6894 | Replies : 0

Yellow River State Forest: What Gives?

Awhile back, I came into possession of a large quantity of back-issues of Backpacker magazine. I have been slowly whittling them down, cutting out and filing any articles I think I would refer back to in the future. One thing I have noticed is that any time there is a 'best of' by region or a voters choice by region or anything by region, it seems that Yellow River State Forest in Iowa takes top ...
Read more : Yellow River State Forest: What Gives? | Views : 10488 | Replies : 3

Summit Withdrawl...

It has now been 1 year, 158 days since I have set foot above the 2000' contour...where in the hell did I go wrong to put myself in this position...I've been a good boy, do you think Santa will send me a mountain for Christmas if I ask nice??? :cry: :cry: ...
Read more : Summit Withdrawl... | Views : 13982 | Replies : 16

Midwest Ice Festivals

Sandstone Ice Fest - December 10-12, 2010
Sandstone, MN
http://www.sandstoneicefest.com/

Ice Pit Ice Festival - January 15-16, 2011
De Pere, WI - Near Green Bay
http://www.theicepit.org/onlinesite%5Cg ... events.asp
There are mandatory forms to be filled out for this one, see website.

Munising Ice Fest - February 4-6, 2011
Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore - Munising, MI
http://www.downwindsports.com/ice_fest.html

Nipigon ...
Read more : Midwest Ice Festivals | Views : 6228 | Replies : 1

Less one wolf pack - WI

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Well, I know I don't condone the Fed on it but I can see the other side.....sorta. Than again I'm not a farmer or local.

Relocate....capture....feed em humane society dogs....No. Let's just take out the whole pack :o And if you escape the first slaughter we'll hunt you down.

Feds kill pack of 'bold' wolves in western Wis.
Associated ...
Read more : Less one wolf pack - WI | Views : 7214 | Replies : 4

First Snow coming and it could be big

They are calling for up to a foot of snow in my area, west metro of the twin cities. Should start tonight and snow all day Sat. We've had a really warm fall so far. I mean we hit 60 four days in a row this week which is pretty warm for Minneapolis in Nov. Bring it on, I'm ready.
Read more : First Snow coming and it could be big | Views : 7197 | Replies : 4

Midwestern Fall colors

Apparently we flatlanders don' t have our very own fall color thread. Why should the coastal people have all the fun?

Two weeks ago the colors were not-quite-peaked in eastern KY/TN: http://www.summitpost.org/big-south-fork/675103.
I understand it's winter in the UP and other points north, but colors are still good in IN-IL-OH. Here in the 'hood, we haven't had a windstorm yet so they still look pretty good.

How about ...
Read more : Midwestern Fall colors | Views : 5481 | Replies : 1

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557992 • Total topics 55841 • Total members 136507