It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:21 am

News News of Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

Site map of Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY) » Forum : Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.

Wind River Mosquitos: How bad are they really?

Hi everyone, looking for some insight about these apparently notorious Wind River mosquitos. I have 2 weeks off in late July and I've been trying to get to the Winds for years now. I want to make it happen this year. Looking at a weeklong trip for backpacking and peak bagging somewhere in the neighborhood of July 22-28. We would try to do something like start at Big Sandy TH and hike to Elkhart Park ...
Read more : Wind River Mosquitos: How bad are they really? | Views : 36511 | Replies : 29

Pro for Owen Spalding

I'm doing Owen Spalding car to car in a day in August. I'm assuming a standard rack of stoppers and tri cams is more than enough. Is this correct? I'm thinking about the last few 5.3-5.4's I led and don't remember using much big stuff unless it was a specific crack climb. Or should I take 3-4 camalots in the 1-3 range?
Read more : Pro for Owen Spalding | Views : 3578 | Replies : 3

Greater Bozeman area: late April backpacking?

Hi, we are two capable backpackers (plus one dog) looking for ideas for routes around Bozeman that might be good this time of year. We're looking for a 2-3 night backpacking trip next weekend (23 April) and just aren't sure what the snow conditions are like right now. Some occasional snow fields would be fine (and we're certainly prepared for more to fall), but we'd rather not be slogging through it the whole time - ...
Read more : Greater Bozeman area: late April backpacking? | Views : 4035 | Replies : 1

The Cloudcroft Peaks in Glacier National Park

What's the deal with those things, man?
Read more : The Cloudcroft Peaks in Glacier National Park | Views : 5773 | Replies : 6

Middle Teton

I am making my first trip to the Tetons this summer and one of the days I want to do Middle Teton. I just hike/scramble, and don't want to deal with ropes and climbing equipment, so I figure in the interest of safety Grand Teton is off the table here. It seems the easiest route up Middle Teton is from the south (southwest Couloir) by taking the south fork of the canyon, however I was ...
Read more : Middle Teton | Views : 4399 | Replies : 6

WY, Training hikes in May (third week) WY, Training hikes in May (third week)

Hi Everyone,

I need to be in Bozeman in the third week of May and was hoping to turn it into a week long affair and add some hikes. I will be traveling by myself (if anyone is interested, you are welcome to join) and i'm looking for training hikes(either single/multi-day round trip) where I can gain a min of 4k' of elevation a day. I live on the east coast and at most I ...
Read more : WY, Training hikes in May (third week) | Views : 4949 | Replies : 11

Gannett in a day

Anyone have an interest in the NW couloir route via Tourist Creek in a 24 hr push?
Read more : Gannett in a day | Views : 3454 | Replies : 0

Wind Rivers water in August?

I'm taking our scout troop to Island Lake from Elkhart Park, and we'll be going in mid August. I've been to the Winds a number of times, but always in July, so I'm wondering what the water supply is like in August. Will there still be random streams all over to get water from, or do all but the major creeks dry up? Thanks guys (and gals).
Read more : Wind Rivers water in August? | Views : 3948 | Replies : 2

Gannett Peak in June/July

Hi friends, we are planning to climb Gannett via the Glacier Trail 6/29-7/3, allowing 5 days in the mountain. Is there a source to gather snow condition/trail condition? Thanks so much!

Looking forward to the trip - this will be my 1st attempt to my 49th state high point.

-Alex
Read more : Gannett Peak in June/July | Views : 12881 | Replies : 17

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557959 • Total topics 55837 • Total members 136429