It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 5:11 pm

News News of Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

Site map of Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY) » Forum : Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the Northern Rockies. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Northern Rockies Climbing Partners section.

Good Overnight Alpine Routes?

Trying to fit a new peak into this next year in the northern rockies. Thus far was planning to do Gannett, but it's looking like I may have to plan something with a shorter approach as finding the time to do Gannett could be a challenge this year.

Does anyone know of some good routes that have some diversity with glacier &/ snow travel, low grade rock, and at least an overnight (10ish miles) on ...
Read more : Good Overnight Alpine Routes? | Views : 4887 | Replies : 6

Bighorn Wild and Scenic run

Any other summitposters running the 32m, 50m, or 100m in June? It'd be cool to meet some of you. It'll be my first in time for this event.
Read more : Bighorn Wild and Scenic run | Views : 3782 | Replies : 4

Teton Wilderness hike--any thoughts?

I have been looking at a possible hike in the Teton Wilderness and thought I'd see if anyone had any thoughts or advice. Start at Arizona Creek TH. To Brown Meadows, Wolverine Creek, Fox Park and Phelps Pass. Then down Falcon Creek to Yellowstone River. Up to headwaters of Yellowstone River and from there across Buffalo Plateau to end up at Brooks Lake. About 85 miles; looking 12-14 days, I guess. Work schedule will probably ...
Read more : Teton Wilderness hike--any thoughts? | Views : 5107 | Replies : 5

Possible move to Wyoming

Hello. I may have the opportunity in the next few months to take a job in the Jackson Hole, WY area (an actual career job opportunity) and was looking to get some feedback on what life is like in the area, including the climbing and climbing community. Where I currently live there are 0 alpine objectives and there are long drives to reach any decent sport or ice climbs, making it difficult to even make ...
Read more : Possible move to Wyoming | Views : 5092 | Replies : 10

Gannet Peak / Grand Teton in a day

So a couple of objectives I have for next summer are Gannett in a day via Tourist Creek, and Grand Teton via Owen Spalding. Car to car in a calendar day for both. Anyone interested in joining me on these?
Read more : Gannet Peak / Grand Teton in a day | Views : 4198 | Replies : 3

Cloud Peak car to car in 12 hrs

Matt Lemke joined me in the Bighorns for a 1 day trip on Labor Day. We were going to link Cloud Peak and Blacktooth but icy conditions made us rethink the Blacktooth section. We did the 24 miles round trip in a bit over 12 hours with over an hour on the summit and lots of picture breaks, snacks, and chatting with hikers. It was an awesome day!
Read more : Cloud Peak car to car in 12 hrs | Views : 3780 | Replies : 2

Gannett conditions this week - any information?

Talked to the folks at the Dubois, WY Ranger Station late last week and they indicated that there were a lot of parties going up Gannett last weekend. I looked on trip reports and didn't see anything real recent so was wondering if anyone had any information on route conditions for the Glacier Trail approach? We have a group of 3 that will be heading up later this week. We are planning for 5 days ...
Read more : Gannett conditions this week - any information? | Views : 3471 | Replies : 1

Blacktooth in a day

So, I'm planning on doing Blacktooth, a 13er in the Bighorns, in a day. 28 miles and 3rd classish talus. Going to do it on Labor Day. Anyone want to go?
Read more : Blacktooth in a day | Views : 3554 | Replies : 1

Gannett Peak Wind Rivers trip August 24-2

I'm going on an extended backpack trip in the wind rivers titcomb area from August 24-2, during this time I plan on climbing Fremont and Gannett. Orginally my father and I were planning to climb Gannett, however he does not feel comfortable anymore in climbing Gannett. I was thinking about doing it solo, but I'm a bit worried about the risks involved with soloing. However, from what I have read the difficulty of Gannett can ...
Read more : Gannett Peak Wind Rivers trip August 24-2 | Views : 4545 | Replies : 6

Cloud Peak August cold/smow

Anyone thinking of Cloud Peak or Blacktooth in the Bighorns this week through Thurs needs to go up prepared. Possibility of 2ft of snow at 13k by Wed. Overnight wind chills around ZERO and daytime highs around 20. Freeze levels will be at 10k Wed morn.
Read more : Cloud Peak August cold/smow | Views : 3619 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558000 • Total topics 55842 • Total members 136526