It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:55 am

News News of Oceania and Pacific Islands

Site map of Oceania and Pacific Islands » Forum : Oceania and Pacific Islands

Regional discussion and conditions reports for Oceania and the Pacific Islands. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the Oceania Climbing Partners section.

New kiwi page

Something on the North Island for a change and not even in the Taranaki or Tongariro areas: The Kauaeranga Valley Pinnacles. Hope it's useful.
Read more : New kiwi page | Views : 2963 | Replies : 4

New Aussie page

Still working on writing up my trip to Tassie earlier this year. Latest addition is Ben Lomond and Legges Tor near Launceston. This is the second highest point in Tasmania. You can almost drive up but I wrote up a route that at least makes it a bit more effort and worth doing. Hope it's useful to anyone heading that way.
Read more : New Aussie page | Views : 3290 | Replies : 3

Skiing Caroline Face of Mt. Cook

Interesting... check this out:

Austrian Skiers Bid On Caroline Face
11:06 am, 07 Nov 2006

Two Austrian skiers hope to be the first to ski down the icy, avalanche-prone Caroline Face on Mt Cook.

The attempt has been likened to trying to stay upright on a pane of glass tilted on a 55 degree angle.

Andy Salek, from Queenstown-based company Making Movies which plans to film the bid, says the pair will climb the east ...
Read more : Skiing Caroline Face of Mt. Cook | Views : 4144 | Replies : 4

Mauna Kea

Has anyone heard of anyone climbing Mauna Kea from sea level? I'll be doing this in the coming weeks and was hoping to hear of how it was done. I have a plan of action already but a little help never hurts.
Read more : Mauna Kea | Views : 2220 | Replies : 1

Two climbers recued on Mt Tibrogargan

Two climbers have been rescued on Mt Tibrogargan. They were winched off after managing to reconstruct a shattered cell phone to call out.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/20 ... 758104.htm
Read more : Two climbers recued on Mt Tibrogargan | Views : 2982 | Replies : 2

Mauna Kea: driving to summit

Can a regular 2WD car make it to the summit area of Manua Kea?
Read more : Mauna Kea: driving to summit | Views : 12429 | Replies : 12

Puncak Jaya trek November 2006

Anyone interested in joining a Puncak Jaya trek November 2006 please contact me for further details.
Fly from Timika to Boega then trek to Puncak Jaya and climb the mountain and trek back out again
Kind Regards
Roger
Read more : Puncak Jaya trek November 2006 | Views : 2670 | Replies : 0

Mt Cook / Mt Aspiring in October 2006?!

Gruezi

Since I am a very lucky person and able to spend 2 month (September and October) in New Zealand, I'd like to take the opportunity and climb Mt Cook (and maybe other peaks) some time during October (if weather permits). The standard route seems most reasonable, going up as high as possible with the skis and then trying to peak.
Since I am coming from the other end of the world, i.e. from Switzerland, ...
Read more : Mt Cook / Mt Aspiring in October 2006?! | Views : 2492 | Replies : 0

Seven hour rescue drama for climber Dawn Wood

A crampon was the cause of New Zealand
climber Dawn Wood's accident after a slip on Scotts Knob
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3757581a10,00.html
She will go back
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story ... D=10395346
Read more : Seven hour rescue drama for climber Dawn Wood | Views : 2324 | Replies : 0

Glasshouse Mountains get World Heritage listing.

Good news, the Glasshouse mountains have just been listed as the 32nd site in Australia to be listed as a world heritage conservation area.
Read more : Glasshouse Mountains get World Heritage listing. | Views : 1950 | Replies : 1

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557956 • Total topics 55836 • Total members 136423