It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 4:15 am

News News of SummitPost.org

Site map of SummitPost.org » Forum : SummitPost.org

Climbing, hiking, mountaineering forum

Newfoundland Hiking Recommendation

It looks like I'll be working in Corner Brook, Newfoundland over the next week or two. I'd like to sty an extra day or two and do some day hikes, or possibly a one night backpack trip. Any recommendations with altitude gains, scrambles, and great views? I see Gros Morne National Park is nearby, but from the park service, I see that "wilderness hiking" in the Long Range Mountains is not open until July. I ...
Read more : Newfoundland Hiking Recommendation | Views : 3050 | Replies : 5 | Forum : Canada and Alaska

easiest route on ocshapalca?

Hi folks!

I am currently looking for routes on ocshapalca in the CB/Peru. I was quite fascinated by that steep ice fluted face when climbing neighbouring peaks. It looked really hard, but now I heard rumos about a route around "D", what should be okay with me. I did not find accurate beta on this topic on the ocshapalca site. Anyone knows this peak well?
I feel comfortable on ice/snow up to 70° with the ...
Read more : easiest route on ocshapalca? | Views : 865 | Replies : 1 | Forum : South America

Philippines

Anybody know of good climbing or cragging within a day's journey from Manila?
Read more : Philippines | Views : 1904 | Replies : 9 | Forum : Asia

a Flickr branch ?

if you want to post on Flickr your large format images you must pay a fee, here you can do it for free :
this guy has understood it, the only problem is decrypting the captions :?
Read more : a Flickr branch ? | Views : 11458 | Replies : 6 | Forum : Bad Submissions

Santa Cruz trek - questions

Hello- we plan to trek Santa Cruz in Mid May. After reading some trip reports I would like to check where is it preferable to start, is any direction better over the other. Some people suggest to start from Cashapampa, others from Vaqueria. What's your recommendation?

I can not find much information about the transportation to the trail head, it seems there are colectivos running, but how long does the ride take?

Is the insect ...
Read more : Santa Cruz trek - questions | Views : 1614 | Replies : 3 | Forum : South America

San Diego

Hey all, I'm probably moving out to San Diego this summer/fall to start a grad program at UCSD. It looks like I'll be there for 5-6 yrs, and I couldn't be more excited about it. It'd be great to get out and climb with some folks on SP too. My favorite pursuits have been ski mountaineering, alpine mixed climbing and glacial climbs in the Cascades and Alps, but I'm into just getting out in the ...
Read more : San Diego | Views : 6377 | Replies : 19 | Forum : California

New Zealand South Island great walks in May

I'm going to be on the South Island in mid-May with a few non-climbing buddies and am looking at doing one of the great walks. I'm looking at the Milford, Routeburn, and Kepler.

I'm leaning towards the Routeburn because I'm of course partial to alpine scenery and even though the Milford is the most popular, it seems more "forresty" and less alpine. The Kepler looks amazing, but I think I'm seeing the same scenes online ...
Read more : New Zealand South Island great walks in May | Views : 4205 | Replies : 4 | Forum : Oceania and Pacific Islands

Lassen Peak Conditions

Anyone been up there lately? I'm thinking about trying the Northwest Ridge in a couple weeks but I don't exactly want to book it across the country if there isn't any snow up there.
Read more : Lassen Peak Conditions | Views : 7761 | Replies : 24 | Forum : California

[!] Mountaineer's Haute Route

Hi Guys:
I am from the US so have very limited knowledge of the hikes in Europe. My knowledge is limited to the short hikes around Chamonix and Grindelwald.

This summer, my friend and I wanted to do the Mountaineers Haute Route. We are decent mountaineers and have climbed/hiked in the pacific Northwest of the US and are comfortable hiking on snow and have done south side of Mount Adams, Mount Hood...

Unfortunately, we are ...
Read more : [!] Mountaineer's Haute Route | Views : 5803 | Replies : 11 | Forum : Europe

ski-trip:Mont Blanc via Bosson Glacier (Rif. Grand Mullets)

Hello to everybody,

though not new to the board, I haven't posted much recently.... well, looks like I'll be doing some skiing on the Europe's highest places soon....

The plan is simple: chamonix-grand mullets-MB summit-chamonix, 3-days ski-trip probably by mid-May....

Done some googling on it, but not to much avail.... so here go the yet unaswered questions:

- anyone (of board members) done it before?
- the little I found suggests to keep our tracks ...
Read more : ski-trip:Mont Blanc via Bosson Glacier (Rif. Grand Mullets) | Views : 2090 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Europe

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557966 • Total topics 55837 • Total members 136443