It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 12:40 pm

News News of SummitPost.org

Site map of SummitPost.org » Forum : SummitPost.org

Climbing, hiking, mountaineering forum

GOUT & Mountaineering

Hi all - I am wondering if anyone has had Gout and continued with mountaineering & alpine Ice/Climbing. I was diagnosed with Gout almost 4 weeks ago and could barely walk. I am now up to walking 3 miles in good shoes with minimal pain (granted no, 40 + pound pack at altitude). Next week will be my first hike with a small pack again.

I have a day climb with 4-5,000 feet elevation gain ...
Read more : GOUT & Mountaineering | Views : 3135 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Technique and Training

Recreation.gov

There was an interesting article in the Wall Street Journal today (April 6) about Recreation.gov. If you ever wondered why Recreation.gov endlessly sends out emails encouraging you to reserve a permit, even permits that are unavailable, the WSJ article will provide the answer.
Read more : Recreation.gov | Views : 1965 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General

Gannett climb-along, July 2023 Gannett climb-along, July 2023

(This is more or less a copy of a post I made earlier on 14ers)

I'm looking to thruhike the Wind River range this summer. It would be awesome if I could summit Gannett while I'm going right under it. Issue is, I'll likely be soloing the WRHR and am not keen on trying to summit alone.

I feel limited by (lack of) technical experience. Includes: use of ice axe / crampons in Adirondacks in ...
Read more : Gannett climb-along, July 2023 | Views : 4828 | Replies : 0 | Forum : US - Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

For moderators of mountain pages.

https://www.summitpost.org/view_object. ... irm_post=7

For Gavilan Peak, a comment was left last night stating it is on Private Property. I followed the link in the comment and found that an individual is claiming to be the landowner for the summit and this checks out on the Maricopa County Tax Assessor Website.

I have removed driving directions from the page and left a section stating that Gavilan is private and anyone interested ...
Read more : For moderators of mountain pages. | Views : 766 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Site Feedback

Sierra Nevada after atmospheric rivers Sierra Nevada after atmospheric rivers

I was planning a trip in the eastern Sierra July 1-3. I am wondering what the snow conditions will be with the all time high snowpack this year. I am specifically worried about the trails to Thousand Island Lake, Minaret, Cecile& Iceberg, the lakes around Hungry Packer Lake and Brainad & Finger. I can deal with some snow patches here and there, but my two concerns are that the scenery is diminished if the lakes ...
Read more : Sierra Nevada after atmospheric rivers | Views : 3398 | Replies : 4 | Forum : California

Why don't mountaineers wear knickers anymore?

Why don't mountaineers wear knickers anymore?

The advantage on knickers is obvious. Why did they fall out of use?
Read more : Why don't mountaineers wear knickers anymore? | Views : 1558 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Gear

Table Mountain/ Artist Point

Snowshoe up to Artist point and a bit beyond to base of Table Mountain. Lots of fresh untracked snow showing up on stormed trees. Never get tired of this place. Why is this image so small? You can view it on the Table Mountain page.

Read more : Table Mountain/ Artist Point | Views : 710 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557989 • Total topics 55841 • Total members 136498