It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 1:38 am

News News of Regional Boards - North America

Site map of Regional Boards - North America » Forum : Regional Boards - North America

Amersand Mountain Info

This coming weekend I'm headed up to climb Ampersand Mountain in Saranac Lake. Anyone been in the area lately? If so, what are the snow conditions? I planned on taking the snowshoes but if I really don't need them it's just extra hassle. Thanks for any info. Happy trails!
Read more : Amersand Mountain Info | Views : 1082 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)

Whitney solo April 21--

Many people here would, and have. But how would you know if your comfort level was on par with their's? If this is your first snow climb, it would be pretty scary. If you've climbed 45 deg. snow before, then you'll probably do okay. Chances are, in late April, you won't be solo, even if you wanted to be.
Read more : Whitney solo April 21-- | Views : 4980 | Replies : 23 | Forum : California

South Lake Tahoe-area parking beta

In particular day parking off of the 89 around Luther Pass & off of the 88 at Silver Lake, before the snow is gone.

I do know that there are numerous locations where parking isn't allowed on the way up to Carson Pass due to "avalanche concerns" (even if it's almost totally bare I'm sure you'd get a ticket for trying it), & the parking lots that are around there require the ridiculous 'SnoPark' BS; ...
Read more : South Lake Tahoe-area parking beta | Views : 2711 | Replies : 10 | Forum : California

Using Google Earth tours to describe proposed trips

Hello Gang,

I continue to fool around with Google Earth and the associated browser plugin to develop 3-D virtual tours through spectacular mountain terrain. After last summer’s climbing, I used these tools to describe the trips I did with my mountaineering club, the Vulgarian Ramblers. Recently, I created a couple of tours to describe two trips we’ve proposed for this summer. I found that going through the process helped me do a better job of ...
Read more : Using Google Earth tours to describe proposed trips | Views : 1117 | Replies : 5 | Forum : California

2010 Going-to-the-Sun Highway/GNP Road Status Updates

2010 Going-to-the-Sun Highway Opening Date

Excerpts from The Daily Interlake March 23 edition:

Glacier National Park road crews are starting spring snow plowing, and Going-to-the-Sun Road will not open over Logan Pass any earlier than June 18 because of construction that requires two-lane closures.

Mountain snowpack in Glacier is below average this year, but park officials stress that is not a good indicator of conditions that plow crews may encounter over the next few months ...
Read more : 2010 Going-to-the-Sun Highway/GNP Road Status Updates | Views : 12834 | Replies : 20 | Forum : Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

Mansfield and Katahdin access late April

I have the opportunity to be out in the Northeast the last week in April and I was looking at the Red Tape for Katahdin and Mansfield and had some questions.

On Mansfield when it says the park service closes the hiking trails in April, is it still possible to climb to the summit via the toll road? If not, what other options are available?

On Katahdin, is there any trail that leads from outside ...

Need partner for Utah adventure April 2-4

I need a partner or two for some technical canyoneering in Utah. Due to bad conditions in January my brother and I failed to descend this canyon in SE Utah near Hite, but the snow is gone now. (See the trip log for January 16):

http://www.summitpost.org/custom-object/590857/2010-trip-log.html

Anyway, the canyon's narrow section is fairly short and mid-canyon in contrast to the the tight slots in Butler and Stair which are actually up in the heads of ...
Read more : Need partner for Utah adventure April 2-4 | Views : 1202 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Colorado

North Cascade Highway opening 2010?

Just had to start this news...
http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/northcascades

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wsdot/sets ... 371473447/

Always look forward to the road opening...Any one ever get to the gate when the hot cinammin rolls are offered on opening day? What is that lady's name from Marblemount that does that?
Read more : North Cascade Highway opening 2010? | Views : 4267 | Replies : 9 | Forum : Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)

snow hiking pants

another new to CO question:

I did a hike this weekend along some snowy ridge. I froze. My legs, in particular. Do people here hike in snowboard/skiing pants in the winter?

if not, what do you use?
Read more : snow hiking pants | Views : 7175 | Replies : 5 | Forum : Colorado

Mount Elbert, Colorado

I would like to climb Mount Elbert in mid June. What should I expect the weather conditions to be and what gear will I need?
Read more : Mount Elbert, Colorado | Views : 2284 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Colorado

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557960 • Total topics 55837 • Total members 136430