It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 3:00 pm

News News of Regional Boards - North America

Site map of Regional Boards - North America » Forum : Regional Boards - North America

Newfoundland Hiking Recommendation

It looks like I'll be working in Corner Brook, Newfoundland over the next week or two. I'd like to sty an extra day or two and do some day hikes, or possibly a one night backpack trip. Any recommendations with altitude gains, scrambles, and great views? I see Gros Morne National Park is nearby, but from the park service, I see that "wilderness hiking" in the Long Range Mountains is not open until July. I ...
Read more : Newfoundland Hiking Recommendation | Views : 3073 | Replies : 5 | Forum : Canada and Alaska

San Diego

Hey all, I'm probably moving out to San Diego this summer/fall to start a grad program at UCSD. It looks like I'll be there for 5-6 yrs, and I couldn't be more excited about it. It'd be great to get out and climb with some folks on SP too. My favorite pursuits have been ski mountaineering, alpine mixed climbing and glacial climbs in the Cascades and Alps, but I'm into just getting out in the ...
Read more : San Diego | Views : 6391 | Replies : 19 | Forum : California

Lassen Peak Conditions

Anyone been up there lately? I'm thinking about trying the Northwest Ridge in a couple weeks but I don't exactly want to book it across the country if there isn't any snow up there.
Read more : Lassen Peak Conditions | Views : 7776 | Replies : 24 | Forum : California

Central Gully?

Has anyone but up this way yet this year? How is it looking. Is there ice just at the top or is it pretty much ice all the way up.

I am interested in trying to put together a climb. Current plan is Feb 13, 14 or 15 or Feb 27, 28 or Mar 1 if anyone is interested.

Thanks
Read more : Central Gully? | Views : 10757 | Replies : 27 | Forum : Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)

Where Summit Registers go to die...

Hi All,

A recent posting by a fellow SPer got me thinking.... where do summit registers go to die? Or what happens to them when they are all full and there is no more room to store them on the summit? I know that many registers from the Sierras and other prominent CA peaks like Shasta end up at the Bancroft Library at Cal Berkeley. But how about the rest?

Basically, the recent poster pointed ...
Read more : Where Summit Registers go to die... | Views : 16175 | Replies : 79 | Forum : California

Crater Mountain

Just added another mountain to the Jewel Basin Area which is part of the great Swan Range.

<a href=http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/499800/Crater-Mountain.html>Crater Mountain</a>
Read more : Crater Mountain | Views : 14404 | Replies : 42 | Forum : Northern Rockies (ID, MT, WY)

Baldy Conditions?

Anyone been up on Baldy post-storm? Looks pretty epic up there from the valley.

Gusto
Read more : Baldy Conditions? | Views : 53001 | Replies : 239 | Forum : California

Am I really going to get to the mountains more often?

I have this OK, but not fabulous offer for a similar job in the same industry at a similar size company. The main draw of the new job is the location - SW of Seattle (vs. northern CT.) I'd lose a lot of security by moving but I'm considering it with the assumption I could climb a lot more, but I'm not sure I could? (Northern CT sounds sad but I'm actually 2 hrs from ...
Read more : Am I really going to get to the mountains more often? | Views : 9187 | Replies : 39 | Forum : Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)

Katahdin - Winter

Anybody interested in getting a group together to do some climbs on Katahdin this winter? I was thinking a week would do the trick. Enough time to dodge some bad weather and get a few climbs in. Cilley-Barber, Pamola IV, Chauvin-Cole on the technical end, maybe a ski descent, or just some good ole' winter trudging? :D
Read more : Katahdin - Winter | Views : 6116 | Replies : 10 | Forum : Eastern US (New England, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast)

Trailhead for Mount Thorodin Trail??

hi

I am thinking about hiking up to Starr Peak/Mount Thorodin via the Mount Thorodin Trail (North Ridge)- but I have kind of a hard time pinpointing the trailhead - do I drive down Camp Eden Road until its end or do I take South Beaver Creek Rd/Wedgwood Rd ?

Don;t want to get "lost" in these wooden exurbs....
Read more : Trailhead for Mount Thorodin Trail?? | Views : 10097 | Replies : 14 | Forum : Colorado

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557978 • Total topics 55839 • Total members 136478