It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 8:50 pm

News News of Regional Boards - North America

Site map of Regional Boards - North America » Forum : Regional Boards - North America

Treasure trove of fossils found in the Sierra foothills

A park ranger stumbled across a major fossil find in an undisclosed location somewhere in the Mokelumne River Watershed in the Sierra foothills, including what looks to be a petrified forest and a 400lb salmon. :o

In the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains in California, paleontologists have uncovered a collection of fossils, including an eight-million-year-old mastodon skull with both tusks intact, a rhino skeleton, a giant ...
Read more : Treasure trove of fossils found in the Sierra foothills | Views : 2014 | Replies : 0 | Forum : California

Kearsarge Pass to Whitney

Has anybody been up there recently? Hopefully headed there in three weeks, conditions?
Read more : Kearsarge Pass to Whitney | Views : 2837 | Replies : 4 | Forum : California

Centennial to Milestone Traverse?

I’ve read that the first ascent of Milestone Mountain was to ascend to the Southwest Ridge from Milestone Bowl, but I can’t find anything on doing the entire traverse from Centennial Peak. Has anybody done it? Does anybody even have an opinion on how difficult, time-consuming, or unpleasant it might be? We’ll be in the area this August, and I want to know whether we should even consider this traverse. Thanks!
Read more : Centennial to Milestone Traverse? | Views : 2851 | Replies : 5 | Forum : California

Backpacking 2-4 days in New Mexico in late May

I'm looking for some recommendations for backpacking routes in New Mexico in late May. I'm planning to fly into Albuquerque on May 17th and then have several days of flexibility in my schedule. I'd like to find some backpacking and hiking for about four days, either stringing together one long 4-day/3-night hike or some combination of shorter trips with some day hikes. I'm willing to drive a bit, so I've seen options including Pecos Wilderness, ...
Read more : Backpacking 2-4 days in New Mexico in late May | Views : 4169 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Southwest (AZ, NM, NV, TX)

Current Mt Whitney conditions on main trail

Hello all

My buddy and I are headed up Mt Whitney tomorrow via the Standard Trail, camping at Trail Camp, and summiting via Trail Crest. Anyone with beta on recent trail conditions? Thanks a bunch! David
Read more : Current Mt Whitney conditions on main trail | Views : 2867 | Replies : 2 | Forum : California

Urgent ... Missing Palmdale climber ...Angeles National

(Double post from News. Seems Urgent.)

https://abc7.com/authorities-searching-for-45-year-old-missing-palmdale-hiker/10512706/

"Rene Compean sent a photo to a friend before becoming lost and search teams hope avid hikers can identify the location.

Photo may be clue in search for Palmdale hiker who went missing in Angeles National Forest
Tuesday, April 13, 2021 4:29PM

The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department has asked hikers with experience in the Mount Waterman area of the San Gabriel Mountains to help locate a ...
Read more : Urgent ... Missing Palmdale climber ...Angeles National | Views : 1610 | Replies : 1 | Forum : California

New Washington sport climbing guidebook now available

I made some of the requested changes regarding areas under development, had fun talking about it on the Becoming Human podcast, shipped copies to all the backers and now the book (drum roll) is available to all while stocks last, so if you fancy checking an utter ton of moderate friendly info on sport crags here, near here, and worth taking a trip to over there, well snag your copy via…

letsrockwa dot wordpress dot ...
Read more : New Washington sport climbing guidebook now available | Views : 2231 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Pacific Northwest (WA, OR)

Exploration Lists in Michigan

Hello,

I am looking for a list to complete to explore my home state a bit. I'm looking for something like Arizona 20/20 or Colorado 14ers, but MI is a relatively flat state without many mountains at all. I did undertake county highpointing a bit before COVID hit, but with the situation I'm not quite comfortable asking people to barge onto their land. Are there any other lists I could do here in Michigan?
Read more : Exploration Lists in Michigan | Views : 3707 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Midwest (Great Plains, Great Lakes)

Silver Divide

I am planning a trip in early August to the Big Margaret Lake area. Has anyone gone over the saddle SE of Sharktooth Peak, say from Sedge Lake to Sand Lake. The south side is easy class 2, but I'm wondering about the headwall on the north side. Any info would be appreciated.
Read more : Silver Divide | Views : 1766 | Replies : 0 | Forum : California

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557989 • Total topics 55841 • Total members 136504