It is currently Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:06 am

News News of South America

Site map of South America » Forum : South America

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.

Bolivia In June or July 2014

Hello SPers!

Any partner or partners to climb mountains in Bolivia 2014?

I made a plan with http://www.hikingbolivia.com with 15 days, 3 mountains in Condoriri area and 3 volcanoes (Acotango, Parinacota and Sajama)

I need partners to share the trip. The company announced that three people is the minimum number.

if someone be interested, send me an email: mbrasilg@gmail.com

I will invite to keep contact together with the company to ...
Read more : Bolivia In June or July 2014 | Views : 4547 | Replies : 4

Good high altitude climbs in Peru? 1st timers

Hello, my friend and I are planning a 10 day trip to Peru at the end of December and need some guidance from you fellow experienced climbers.

Here's the deal:
We would like to summit a sub-18,000ft peak. Neither of us has done ANY high altitude climbing (just day hikes up to 13,000ft) but we have some time to work with and a flexible schedule for acclimatization. We are young (25) and in decent shape ...
Read more : Good high altitude climbs in Peru? 1st timers | Views : 3055 | Replies : 3

how to get to Patagonia

Hi!
I arrive in Santiago the 15 December, and will head south towards Patagonia and stay until the end of January. I do not have any fixed plans at all, so I am very flexible, but I would be keen to do a lot of climbing and hiking when I am down there.

Does anybody know about buses and prices from Santiago, or Puerto Montt to Punta Arenas, I know it takes time, but I ...
Read more : how to get to Patagonia | Views : 3829 | Replies : 1

Quito - Hotels/Best places to stay ?

What are some of the best places to stay in Quito? I'm heading there early next year and just started looking around. I'm curious to hear what recommendations or experiences other climbers have had? Thanks!
Read more : Quito - Hotels/Best places to stay ? | Views : 4231 | Replies : 5

Couple looking to climb May - August 2014

Hi All,

I'm looking to do some mountaineering in South America in 2014. My girlfriend and I will be arriving in Chile 29th April and flying out of Colombia 15th August.

I have climbing experience including Alpine, Scottish Winter and I've climbed Huayna Potosi. All of my climbing has been with more experienced climbers and I wouldn't consider undertaking any climbing if I was the most experienced climber in the team.

I was looking to ...
Read more : Couple looking to climb May - August 2014 | Views : 10261 | Replies : 15

Aconcagua's south face routes

I am heading to Aconcagua in December. I am trying to find more complete descriptions of the south face routes, in particular the Argentine Route on the right side of the face. Does anyone know where I can find more then a short quick and general description.

Thanks
Read more : Aconcagua's south face routes | Views : 3444 | Replies : 2

Marmolejo avalanche danger?

Hi guys, do you know if there is avalanche danger on standard Marmolejo route. In summer it appears free from objective dangers, but what's about spring in less than ideal weather?
Read more : Marmolejo avalanche danger? | Views : 2173 | Replies : 0

Mt Vinson, Antartica

Sorry, if this isn't about South America.

I'm looking for climbing partners to Mt Vinson, Antartica. I want to do it independently, so no Commercial operators. We will only buy the flight to and from Mt Vinson. No guides, fixed ropes etc. With Commercial operators it would cost around USD 40 000, but with only the flight, S&R Insurance, environmental permitt it would cost around USD 20-25 000. Neither includes the cost of the flights ...
Read more : Mt Vinson, Antartica | Views : 3158 | Replies : 4

Question about food supplies in Mendoza AR

In planning my food requirements for my upcoming trip to climb Aconcagua I am trying to find a source for energy bars, energy gel packs, protein bars, cliff bars...... or something similar in Mendoza. I would rather buy them there than take them with me on the plane.

I'm not real partial to any one brand or flavor. I'm more concerned whether they are to be found in town at the grocery or one of ...
Read more : Question about food supplies in Mendoza AR | Views : 5903 | Replies : 14

Mountain ranges suggestions

Hello,

I am planning my trip to South America for the beginning of 2014 - Argentina, Chile, Bolivia, Peru. I will be spending 3 months there. My main objective is to travel but I would also like to spend some time in the high mountains. As I do not want to carry all the extra gear with me (by extra I mean crampons, rope, ice axe, etc.) I am trying to find some nice peaks ...
Read more : Mountain ranges suggestions | Views : 2450 | Replies : 1

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558041 • Total topics 55845 • Total members 136628