Bomb Squad: Cardio Masked CrossFitter in Weighted Vest

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_19440928

Who NOT to look like?
What NOT to wear?
When NOT to train?
Where NOT to train?
Why NOT to join CrossFit?
How NOT to train?
Read more : Bomb Squad: Cardio Masked CrossFitter in Weighted Vest | Views : 1595 | Replies : 0

winter mountaineering in scottland?

hi there

i guess ill start with my short climbing history so my question be better understood.
im a intermediate alpine climber and sport climber comfort zone is ad+ climbed d+(e.g. kuffner ridge ,innominata)
sport 5.10b/c, trad 5.7, ice follow WI 4 rarely got to lead.
I've done 2 courses in the alps and trad course in Jordan, three seasons in europe also s.america big technicals(artesunraju, alpamayo,ilampu etc..)
also light climbing in the cascades, all ...
Read more : winter mountaineering in scottland? | Views : 5024 | Replies : 10

Recovering from a herniated L5/S1 disc

I've been having back problems since 2000. Twice, I have "thrown out my back" and developed agonizing back spasms that left me almost completely unable to care for myself for several weeks. Both times, the spasms started after moving in a seemingly benign way. On October 13th this happened for the third time, but this time it was way worse. I woke up in the wee hours and found I was unable to move my ...
Read more : Recovering from a herniated L5/S1 disc | Views : 172105 | Replies : 38

Alpinism 101 - an introduction

Hotoven and I wrote an article on how to get into alpoine climbing. http://www.summitpost.org/alpinism-101- ... ion/756518 We attempted to write an outline for an alpinist's education. More than write a 'How To' article, we attempted to lay out what skills an alpinist needs to learn and how to learn it. We hope you find it informative and enjoyable reading.
Read more : Alpinism 101 - an introduction | Views : 11770 | Replies : 20

half-marathon

Running my first-ever official race 2 weeks from tomorrow. While I've been (sort of) training of several weeks now, my longest run so far has been 10.5 miles (this morning, actually), which I ran in 1:26 (nothing to write home about, just mentioning it so people have a sense of where I'm at). Given my two-week time frame at this point, does it make sense to run at least one (or more) full half before ...
Read more : half-marathon | Views : 8312 | Replies : 14

Foot pain and crack climbing

Hi all,

I have a friend who is getting into crack climbing but cannot stand the foot pain when jamming. Do you have any tips or remember your own experience?

I remember it being intensely painful the first few times, and that it got better fast, but I am not sure how. Maybe my technique just improved, I got used to the pain, or killed off my nerve endings.

Any input would be appreciated.
Read more : Foot pain and crack climbing | Views : 16800 | Replies : 6

5K Race Strategies

I'll be racing in my first real 5K race this Saturday. I ran a 5k about four years ago, but it was mostly for fun--finished in 28:08. This time I want to really compete--at least give it my best. I'm expecting to run around a 24:00, and I'll be in the 40-49 year old category.

I usually run just three days a week. This week I'll run today (Monday) then Wednesday, rest two days and ...
Read more : 5K Race Strategies | Views : 6621 | Replies : 10

Garda hitch instead of guide plate?

Late last night, I was sitting around playing with my ropes and crabs and other climbing gear, and I realised that "guide plates" (Kong GiGi, BD ATC-Guide, Petzl Reverso etc.) are pretty much just ratchets (when used to belay from the top). So, I figured, why not use a garda hitch and save all of $20 instead? ;-)

So, yeah, the monetary savings are ridiculously small, so ...
Read more : Garda hitch instead of guide plate? | Views : 6712 | Replies : 6

Advice for someone completely new/clueless

Hi there I'm new to the forums and pretty much new to everything else. I really want to get into climbing and mountaineering, but i have absolutely NO experience. What I've seen and read about mountaineering, climbing to the top of the world seems amazing. I'm not even a very active person, but i want to make big changes to my life. But i have no idea where to start! At the moment I'm a ...
Read more : Advice for someone completely new/clueless | Views : 17474 | Replies : 30

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 558043 • Total topics 55845 • Total members 136628