It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 3:11 am

News News of Utah

Site map of Utah » Forum : Utah

Regional discussion and conditions reports for the great state of Utah, from the alpine peaks to the desert slots. Please post partners requests and trip plans here or in the Utah Climbing Partners section.

What Not To Do in Goblin Valley

This story and video are going viral, but in case you hadn't heard:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57012279-78/rock-taylor-formation-hall.html.csp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYFD18BwmJ4

I hope there won't be any copycats, Halloween season and beyond.

I've been a couple times after a suggestion by Scott. It's a fun place! Leave no trace and be safe!
http://www.summitpost.org/goblin-valley/193018

Edit: I now see this is already being discussed in Off-Route.
Read more : What Not To Do in Goblin Valley | Views : 4429 | Replies : 4

Thunderbowl

what different routes can you take to get to this awesome-looking bowl (halfpipe). the last time I tried, i just hiked the bells trail to the reservoir and then offtrail from there but wasn't successful....ran out of time. haven't been up Bells for a couple years now. is it possible to hike the ridgeline on the left all the way up?
Read more : Thunderbowl | Views : 5922 | Replies : 2

A Wasatch Traverse?

I've been getting into big traverses lately and I've been trying to piece together a traverse from the summit of Lone Peak to the summit of Mt. Grandeur to include Broad's Fork Twin Peaks, Mt. Raymond and Mt. Olympus. Anyone ever thought of doing this/done this? What trails would be the best?
Read more : A Wasatch Traverse? | Views : 6223 | Replies : 3

Bugs in the Attic

"Experiments that failed too many times,
Transformations that were too hard to find ..
Poison's in my bloodstream,
Poison's in my pride ...

Yes I know the secrets of the circuitry mind;

It's a FLAMING Wonder Telepath ... :!:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYVAFWoMs4s

Does anybody know what this is ? It looked kinda creepy, but was a fascinating kind of creepy.

I found it at approximately 7,800 ft in the ...
Read more : Bugs in the Attic | Views : 2966 | Replies : 0

Grand Staircase Suggestions

Hi

Visiting the Grand Staircase in late September for some mountain biking, hiking, climbing and peace and quiet. Any suggestions on some nice day climbs / hikes would be appreciated. I have moderate skills and hiked/ climbed Utah many times. I know it is big, but have time to get around the area, so any geographical section of the park should work.

Thanks
Rich
Read more : Grand Staircase Suggestions | Views : 3159 | Replies : 1

recent CBNM pics

Cedar Breaks NM was/is always awesome. Long for the day when I have time to hike one of the trails down DIRECTLY into the amphitheater.

^^^^^^
"Shiver Me Timbers !" (Hoodoo Up Close.)

^^^^^^^^^^
My wife last visited CBNM in 2004 ..

Here's a GREAT link ...

http://www.summitpost.org/cedar-breaks-national-monument/374182
Read more : recent CBNM pics | Views : 3322 | Replies : 2

Grandview Peak via City Creek

I haven't climbed Grandview Peak for over two decades and that was from Mueller Park. I was thinking of trying it from City Creek. The information I have dates from 1988 and the SP page doesn't provide much info.

Is it still a bushwhack or are the trails more defined now?

Would you recommend going up Cottonwood Gulch?

Thanks.
Read more : Grandview Peak via City Creek | Views : 4393 | Replies : 3

Attempting Kings Peak again on 7.26.13 early AM. Anyone in?

Hello folks. My hiking partner has canceled today due to work issues so I'm attempting Kings Peak again this year - by myself :| . Flying out from Maryland on 7.25.13 and will get to the Henry Forks campground that late afternoon, early evening. Waking up early and starting my hike around 7am or 730am or so on Friday the 26th. Plan to camp at Dollar Lake ...
Read more : Attempting Kings Peak again on 7.26.13 early AM. Anyone in? | Views : 3581 | Replies : 0

Uinta Highlline Trail - Hikers/Shuttle Wanted!

Planning on spending a week mid-August backpacking the Uinta Highline Trail and hoping to connect with anyone who might be out that way hiking or willing to shuttle (for a reasonable fee). Any tips from past Highliners on how they dealt with transportation or the success in that area hitchhiking would be appreciated as well! We're coming from Logan with one car.

Thanks!

RockLobster
Read more : Uinta Highlline Trail - Hikers/Shuttle Wanted! | Views : 4855 | Replies : 1

New peak page - Onaqui BM

Just made my first SP page. A friend from West Valley came out to Grantsville and hiked to the top of the Onaqui BM via West Canyon this week and came home to find there wasn't a page for it. If anyone has any feedback or more information regarding this not-too-popular peak please let me know. Thanks everyone. Glad I could give a little back to the SP Utah community.

-harbor

Onaqui BM link: ...
Read more : New peak page - Onaqui BM | Views : 4371 | Replies : 2

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 557983 • Total topics 55841 • Total members 136489