Other adventure wishlist?

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
Jow

Other adventure wishlist?

by Jow » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:01 pm

We all have mountains and treks that are on our wishlist, but what other adventures will you be sad to not accomplish before you die.

For me I need to go on African Safari, Cage Dive with Great White Shark, Raft the Grand Canyon, and dive with Whale Sharks in Belize.

I'd like to sail around the world as well but not sure if that'll happen.

Other adventures that I've accomplished and were removed from list are sky diving, scuba dived the great barrier reef, and taken fan boat through everglades.

Daria

Re: Other adventure wishlist?

by Daria » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:19 pm

I would have to say an 4wd expedition through Mongolia and another expedition throughout Siberian wilderness and other Russia. Badass.

As for worldwide sailing, that's def on my list. Even better are long distance kayaking expeditions along remote beautiful coastlines and exploration of islands. yum
I'm the top troll.

sharperblue

by sharperblue » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:28 pm

you're referring to my base camp troika of Angelina Jolie and Catharine Zeta-Jones - ? yeah, i do dwell on that.

besides that, at 40, the chances of climbing Gasherbrum Twins is pretty remote now, but a massive link-up of Tullparaju-Huantsan-Pucaranra would be a supremely satisfying alternative. to the second objective.

Daria

by Daria » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:52 pm

Oh, also Antarctica mountaineering, just cus its the freakn antarctic
I'm the top troll.

drpw

by drpw » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:25 pm

I want to swim the catalina channel and spit from the top of the statue of liberty.

Hotoven

by Hotoven » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:27 pm

I really like sharks and hope to go diving and experience them first hand some day. Cave diving is something I want to try, and my number one dream of climbing still stands as some of you I'm sure are sick of hearing.

I would like to climb Laila Peak and Ski down! (IMO I think its the most beautiful mountain!)
"Hey, careful, man, there's a beverage here!"
- The Dude, Lebowski

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:32 pm

Renovate my sailboat.
Sail from Washington State to Maine - the long way around
Build a cabin in the mountains
Introduce my grandchildren to the mountains and oceans
Figure out what my purpose on earth is

outofstep80

by outofstep80 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:54 pm

I would like to rebuild an old motorcycle. Then take it, or any other bike, on a cross country trip. (With my climbing gear of course.)

Other than that I would actually like to do some classic tourist type stuff. Go check out some ruins in the old country, kick back on some remote island and learn to surf, etc.

dadndave
Forum Moderator

by dadndave » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:46 pm

I'm overdue to embark on a round-Australia trip. I want to take about three months off and go right around.

I'd also like to go back to the USA and do as much of the old route 66 that still exists in a sixty-something convertible.
The strawman is evil and must be punished,

surgent

by surgent » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:20 am

dadndave wrote:I'm overdue to embark on a round-Australia trip. I want to take about three months off and go right around.

I'd also like to go back to the USA and do as much of the old route 66 that still exists in a sixty-something convertible.

Dadndave:

Let's trade places for a year. I'm here in AZ, near old-66. I could use a revisit to Ozzie, where I went to uni for a year back in the 80s. I lived so close to Kosciuscko and never got up the darn thing! But I did other neat things: snorkel in the Great Barrier Reef, ride the rails, go up to Cape York...

---

I've always wanted to drive as far north in North America as possible, up to Barrow or Tuk or Inuvik. Can one go farther north sans boat/kayak/doggies?

I'd also like to find an elegant solution to the sum of the reciprocals of cubes of positive integers. Trust me, this is a big deal. I doubt I'll be the one to do it, but hey, a fella can dream right?

phydeux

by phydeux » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:43 am

Not much I want to do in climbing, but I'd like to bicycle across the United States (maybe do the return ride, too). This wouldn't be a RAAM-type ride, but do it either over 5-6 weeks, or do weekly rides each year for 5-6 years. I rode from Los Angeles (Pacific Ocean) to Las Vegas in 1999, but that bike got stolen in early 2000 and I had some employment problems in 2001-2004 prohibited me from buying a new ride so never got around to carrying through with the journey.

MoapaPk

by MoapaPk » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:49 am

Complete the Kansas Crest Trail on a unicycle. Drive the length of i-15 while wearing a wetsuit. Win a pie-eating contest.

ExcitableBoy

by ExcitableBoy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:59 am

outofstep80 wrote:I would like to rebuild an old motorcycle. Then take it, or any other bike, on a cross country trip. (With my climbing gear of course.)

I've had that thought often as well. My father had an early 1970's Honda 350 that I used to ride on the back when I was a kid. These bikes now enjoy a sort of cult status and I have perused Craigslist off and on for them.

I watched a movie not long ago in which a young man is diagnosed with cancer and instead of immediately seeking treatment he leaves his finance and buys a vintage Norton and rides across Canada. It was a touching movie for me, probably because I have had the notion of riding cross country and I am currently battling a serious illness myself.

Daria

by Daria » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:26 am

I'm making tentative plans of doing a year long road trip all through South America and climbing peaks and doing other exploration down there once I graduate in Fall 2011. This is definitely a dream trip and a trip of a lifetime.
I'm the top troll.

outofstep80

by outofstep80 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:36 am

ExcitibleBoy wrote:
outofstep80 wrote:I would like to rebuild an old motorcycle. Then take it, or any other bike, on a cross country trip. (With my climbing gear of course.)

I've had that thought often as well. My father had an early 1970's Honda 350 that I used to ride on the back when I was a kid. These bikes now enjoy a sort of cult status and I have perused Craigslist off and on for them.

I watched a movie not long ago in which a young man is diagnosed with cancer and instead of immediately seeking treatment he leaves his finance and buys a vintage Norton and rides across Canada. It was a touching movie for me, probably because I have had the notion of riding cross country and I am currently battling a serious illness myself.

There is an old triumph that has been for sale for a long time just down the road from my house. It would be way over my head but I've been taking a little more interest in it lately. Wouldn't be a good cross country bike but it would be a fun project.

Hope your doing well with your battle.

Next

Return to General