Patagonia sleeping system

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
jonol

Patagonia sleeping system

by jonol » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:07 am

I am interested to hear what others use for their sleeping system in Patagonia.

Particularly for extended trip out where sleeping in igloo is a real possibility.
Do you use the same approach with fast and light summit assault?
Do you take your clothing layering into consideration as well?
All synthetic? Or possible with synthetic overbag plus down bag combination?

Cheers,
Jono

Australopitecus

Re: Patagonia sleeping system

by Australopitecus » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:04 pm

humidity its present always, rains and sun at the same time....also depends "where" in Patagonia are planning to go. Bye..

jonol

by jonol » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:14 am

Sure a challenging environment isn't it?
Based in Coyhaique, in and around a couple of glaciated terrains and the ice cap.

AndyJB444

by AndyJB444 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:41 am

The Northern Ice Cap and environs are SUPER wet, and cold/windy when you get up high (surprise, surprise!) - usually for extended periods.

I would highly recommend all synthetic and a bag rated to 0 or 10 degrees F. You WILL be wet and Gore-tex only delays the inevitable when down in Patagonia, so just embrace it. ;) We double bagged all the essentials like sleeping bag and spare set of baselayers, and it really was nice to have that dry set after climbing into the tent/quinze/snow cave.

Have fun and be safe, wish I could tag along for another go. Try and do some horseback riding outside of Coyhaiqyue if you have some downtime.

Cheers.

jonol

by jonol » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:20 am

Thanks for rep Andy.

What about using a bivvy bag as overbag to delay it from soaking?
And would double plastic bag fare better than kayaking type roll top dry bag?

I toyed briefly with the idea of overbag and half bag, but I guess they won't be any good for an extended period out in the wet Patagonia. Down is just down right useless here too.

Man what a wild place!

AndyJB444

by AndyJB444 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:48 pm

No problem!

Bivvy bag would probably help, but really the concern is keeping water away from your essentials when on the move in bad weather - and less about when you have your shelter set up. Dry bags would do well, we just used the heavy duty garbage bags because we were poor.

Its an awesome place, but is seriously VERY wild and remote. Don't underestimate the weather! Days upon days of rain and snow with sustained 40-60mph winds are the norm down there. Everything else will seam like a cakewalk after suffering through a Patagonian expedition! ;)

Here's a pretty useful forecasting site for some peaks in the area, like San Valentin:
http://www.meteoexploration.com/mountain/SAndes.html

jonol

by jonol » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:57 pm

Awesome not in spite of, but because it is so wild! Got me all excited here.

Talking about keeping dry when on the move, I was told this is one place where the most hardcore of hardshell is appreciated. Since it will be wet, I am thinking synthetic over merino for base layer. Although the good ol' merino will still be good for sleeping. What do you think?

Any tips on keeping dry when on the move? Or it is an inevitable?

Australopitecus

by Australopitecus » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:13 pm

Well, what about tents???? I have just long trekking experience in Patagonia, but some friends are been in Southern and Northen ice Cup and the tent item is very important, how to set the camp can be a crucial thing with a 7 day snowstorm (just an example), I heard a history about 1 month of bad weather with no possibilities of been rescued (extreme situation, but real of a cientific expedition in CHS)....

DAS parka Patagonia its a good recomendation:
The DAS Parka is Patagonia's warmest synthetic, high-loft protection for full-on alpine conditions; this parka's water-repellent shell is windproof, quick to dry and durable.

what about shoes??,

well its nice to know how are you preparing to enter in the ice kingdom jeje, bye.

AndyJB444

by AndyJB444 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:28 am

Its true, the weather can be, and is usually horendous! A few seasons ago a team of Spaniards on the northern ice cap, I believe, had their tents shredded, and had to hang out in a quickly built snow cave for a few days before the Chilean military could get a helicopter into them. Yikes.

I've had success using hilleberg tents up there. Whatever you take, make sure its sturdy for the weather with a vestibule and properly guyed out and roomy for your team because chances are you're going to be spending some time in it! ;)

Plastic double boots all the way, and maybe some approach shoes for the long hike to the ice cap if entering from the east side.

Return to South America