Pesky problem-- frozen boots overnight...

Post general questions and discuss issues related to climbing.
thespiffy

Pesky problem-- frozen boots overnight...

by thespiffy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:21 pm

Hello!

Long time lurker, I don't post often, but tend to read a lot.

I've really stepped up my hiking and light climbing this winter and have subjected myself to some pretty ruthless winter conditions.

That being said, I'm having a pesky, annoying and dangerous problem.

Frozen boots, every morning. How do you all combat this? Do you have any tricks or tips for me, short of putting them in my sleeping bag? Which... isn't much of an option.

If its any help my boot of choice is; Asolo Men's Power Matic 500 GV.

Thanks much in advance for any insight you all have to offer, I know there's *many* of you on here that take on some pretty horrendous conditions and have much more foul weather and sub zero experience than me.

-Robert

no avatar
Franky

by Franky » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:25 pm

With those boots, the only thing you can really do I think is put them in your sleeping bag. If you bought double boots, you can just wear the liners to bed and be ok, which is the best option for serious winter condition overnights.

The only other thing i could think of doing is putting a water bottle full of boiling water in each boot before going to bed.

no avatar
mcdbrendan

by mcdbrendan » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 pm

Why isn't putting them in the sleeping bag an option? Throw them in a stuff sack, push em to the bottom, and enjoy thawed boots.

Brad Marshall

by Brad Marshall » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:36 pm

Have you tried pouring boiling water in your Nalgene bottles and putting the bottles in your boots just before going to bed. Should help dry them out and you'll have water ready for the morning.

blazin

by blazin » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:38 pm

Wearing vapor barrier socks (basically, plastic bags on your feet) can help as it keeps moisture from your foot (sweat) from getting into the shoe. Of course, if you're on snow all day, the shoe will be wet regardless.

no avatar
Franky

by Franky » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:43 pm

i second the sno-seal for those boots, asolo leather boots will be almost as waterproof as rubber with a fresh coat of sno-seal.

thespiffy

by thespiffy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:44 pm

Franky wrote:With those boots, the only thing you can really do I think is put them in your sleeping bag. If you bought double boots, you can just wear the liners to bed and be ok, which is the best option for serious winter condition overnights.

The only other thing i could think of doing is putting a water bottle full of boiling water in each boot before going to bed.

I think you might be right about the double boots. Any particular brand or type you recommend?

John Duffield

by John Duffield » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:44 pm

1000Pks wrote:When I used to overnight ski tour, we used a waterproofing agent for our leather boots to keep them from getting too soaked. I like Sno-seal, but there's more you can use. Otherwise you can use maybe three pairs of heavy socks, and if also dry, they might keep your feet warm enough, even with frozen leather. Plastic boots with liners is all I can think of using other alternatives.

+ 1

When I first saw this, I was wondering how they could get so wet to begin with. One of the obvious ways to deal with this problem , is not let them get so wet. So a waterproofing agent applied every day along the seam where the sole meets the upper would be a good place to start.

E_Rolls

by E_Rolls » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:44 pm

Hey Spiff,

I have always woken up a bit early and stuck my boots in the bottom of my sleeping bag. Warmed'em up enough to wear. My last outing I woke up and just stuffed one of those chemical hand warmers in with a pair of wool socks on top, went back to sleep and awoke to toasty boots. Then just put the warmers in my pants pockets.

I've only tried this once but I think if you do this and stick your boots in a stuff sack or some kind of ditty bag, they'd be even warmer.

-E

thespiffy

by thespiffy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:45 pm

Brad Marshall wrote:Have you tried pouring boiling water in your Nalgene bottles and putting the bottles in your boots just before going to bed. Should help dry them out and you'll have water ready for the morning.

I did think about this, considered it that is. But, was under the assumption no matter how hot that water is, 7 hours @ 10F = frozen water. Though it could dry them out enough to make the boots less uncomfortable and ice block like in the AM.

JHH60

by JHH60 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:50 pm

If it's not extremely cold and you have a tent, you can often get away with just bringing your boots inside your tent. This has kept my leather mountaineering boots from freezing down to around 15F outside. Of course double boots are designed specifically to avoid this problem. Closed cell/Intution liners are particularly good in wet conditions since they don't absorb much water and dry quickly.

no avatar
Gattsu

by Gattsu » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:53 pm

Try putting you're boots under you're knees while you sleep, between the pad and the bag. May be some discomfort, but beats frozen boots ;)

Happy hiking!

thespiffy

by thespiffy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:59 pm

John Duffield wrote:
1000Pks wrote:When I used to overnight ski tour, we used a waterproofing agent for our leather boots to keep them from getting too soaked. I like Sno-seal, but there's more you can use. Otherwise you can use maybe three pairs of heavy socks, and if also dry, they might keep your feet warm enough, even with frozen leather. Plastic boots with liners is all I can think of using other alternatives.

+ 1

When I first saw this, I was wondering how they could get so wet to begin with. One of the obvious ways to deal with this problem , is not let them get so wet. So a waterproofing agent applied every day along the seam where the sole meets the upper would be a good place to start.

This sounds like a much better idea than a new pair of $500 boots. Well, at least my wallet likes the idea. ;)

(Edit)

After researching sno-seal, is seems this product will provide exactly what I need. I'll give it a try, it looks very promising. Thanks again to everyone that offered their advice. I knew you all would come through =)

JHH60

by JHH60 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:13 pm

thespiffy wrote:This sounds like a much better idea than a new pair of $500 boots. Well, at least my wallet likes the idea. ;)

You can get a pair of double boots for a lot less than that. Traditional double plastics like the Scarpa Inverno are around $300 new and you can find them used for much less. If you go high tech you can spend a lot more ($700 for La Sportiva Spantiks) but if you aren't doing cutting edge high altitude ice routes you don't have to spend that much.

thespiffy

by thespiffy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:34 pm

JHH60 wrote:
thespiffy wrote:This sounds like a much better idea than a new pair of $500 boots. Well, at least my wallet likes the idea. ;)

You can get a pair of double boots for a lot less than that. Traditional double plastics like the Scarpa Inverno are around $300 new and you can find them used for much less. If you go high tech you can spend a lot more ($700 for La Sportiva Spantiks) but if you aren't doing cutting edge high altitude ice routes you don't have to spend that much.

Excellent!! Thank you so much.

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/ ... 0105M.html

This is only $50 more than what I paid for those Asolo's.

(EDIT)

Can anyone attest to a these boots beating the crap out of your shins?
Last edited by thespiffy on Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Return to General