Easy Peaks in Cordillera Blanca in early/mid May

Regional discussion and conditions reports for South America. Please post partners requests and trip plans in the South American Climbing Partners section.
no avatar
RockPuppy

Easy Peaks in Cordillera Blanca in early/mid May

by RockPuppy » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:42 pm

Hi all, I am a novice here looking to climb some easy peaks (i.e. Vallunaraju, Ishinca) in Cordillera Blanca with a guide. Understood the ideal climbing season is June to August but I am only able to take time off in early-mid May this year :( . Although the local climbing company assured me these mountains can be climbed in May, I am still concerned that going in May will be less safe than in June or July due to snow conditions and avalanche risks. Does anyone have a view on whether it's safe to climb these mountains in May? Has anyone attempted these easy peaks during this period? Would really appreciate any views / advice. Many thanks!

sharperblue

Re: Easy Peaks in Cordillera Blanca in early/mid May

by sharperblue » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:52 pm

sure you can climb them in May - the weather will be more unsettled and wetter/warmer - more precip, a bit more avalanche danger, but a month's worth of time will have less effect on the conditions than thow the general season has been - drier, colder, more or less precip, etc. Neither of those peaks should pose any issues outside the normal concerns in May. That having been said, I would still opt to climb as late in May as possible. A few days in Huaraz should be enough to acclimate to either as well. If you have time, you may want to run up RimaRima as a (long) day trip to test your fitness and acclimitazation first, and the view from the summit ain't bad either..

Return to South America